Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#983363 - 01/09/18 06:48 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: _WW_]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

_WW_ spot on when he says hookups will be rare. Just glad to hear an "opportunity" may exist. Getting a tug makes all the effort worth while. Thanks to all you folks that put in the time to make this a reality. Not to be to optimistic, but maybe something to build on to expand around on some other PS rivers in my neck of the woods.

#983364 - 01/09/18 07:04 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: RUNnGUN]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
_WW_ spot on when he says hookups will be rare. Just glad to hear an "opportunity" may exist. Getting a tug makes all the effort worth while. Thanks to all you folks that put in the time to make this a reality. Not to be to optimistic, but maybe something to build on to expand around on some other PS rivers in my neck of the woods.

It's always been mainly about "Basin by basin management" It had to start somewhere and the Skagit is the best candidate. Legislators are in session, WDFW needs more money, send some emails!

#983370 - 01/09/18 09:55 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Jam Session,

The 10% incidental mortality rate came about by agreement between NMFS, WDFW, ODFW, and treaty tribes. I guess you could say it's more policy based than science based. They needed a number, and 10% is the number all were apparently willing to agree to. To those of us who participate in several types and areas of fishing 10% is likely too low for some and too high for others. But it's the number we're stuck with unless and until definitive studies for specific fisheries occur.

You seemed surprised that the treaty tribes will also be fishing under this plan. You don't think the co-managers would go to all this effort just so you and I and other recreational anglers can fish, do you? Besides, what a lot of folks seem to miss is the tribes have fished some in the past, they are and have been fishing for some steelhead recently, and they will continue to fish some for steelhead in the future, plan or no plan. This plan however puts some sideboards on everyone's fishing that is designed to ensure the conservation of Skagit wild steelhead. It's a good thing. Unwind and relax.

Sg

#983384 - 01/09/18 02:17 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I for one would be elated just to FISH my home waters again before I'm fvcking dead.
I want to be a fisherman.

#983404 - 01/09/18 08:41 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: Salmo g.]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Jam Session,

The 10% incidental mortality rate came about by agreement between NMFS, WDFW, ODFW, and treaty tribes. I guess you could say it's more policy based than science based. They needed a number, and 10% is the number all were apparently willing to agree to. To those of us who participate in several types and areas of fishing 10% is likely too low for some and too high for others. But it's the number we're stuck with unless and until definitive studies for specific fisheries occur.

Sg

It totally makes sense to use a made up 10% figure for all fisheries.

Totally.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#983406 - 01/09/18 09:01 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

ONE ( as in singular solitary ) hook point, barbless, baitless... should be a NO BRAINER.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#983407 - 01/09/18 09:04 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Personally looking forward to an opportunity (or two) to huck a Skagit line into its namesake water.... been a MIGHTY long time.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#983414 - 01/10/18 05:30 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: eyeFISH]
Kinetic Kwik Offline
Spawner

Loc: sum x wet,sum x dry WA 4 Life
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
ONE ( as in singular solitary ) hook point, barbless, baitless... should be a NO BRAINER.

Speaking of no brainers

Originally Posted By: fishbadger
Don't underestimate how lethal it is to overplay a fish, net it, grab it a bunch of times and take tons of pictures of it!

fb

But, HEY!

#983416 - 01/10/18 06:55 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Might the C&R season include the Sauk?

#983417 - 01/10/18 06:58 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
But then, science gets in the way. Single barbless and single barbed (at least flies) don't show a demonstrable difference in survival. It is easier to get a barbless hook out of a fish, friend, or myself but the data don't show a benefit to the fish.

There was a really interesting study, on ID trout, that used barbed flies, circle-hook bait, and treble-hooked lures. And, they studied survival over months rather than days. Best was flies, marginally worse was bait, and way worse was the trebles.

I believe that single barbless, lures only, is probably the socially and politically best way to go, coupled with mandatory non-removal from the water but there do exist alternatives that are as effective at releasing live fish.

Back when I worked with regs, I believe that the application of scent was considered "bait".

#983423 - 01/10/18 09:09 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The Selective Gear regulations (single, barbless, no bait) were in effect from 1981 through the 2009 season with zero evidence that fishing had any measurable negative effect on runsize. Selective Gear on the Skagit and Sauk is an accepted tradition at this point. I doubt WDFW wants to mess with success right off the bat when the Skagit is re-opened. Face it, the Skagit steelhead is the only PR success in the Puget Sound region for the Department since the Baker sockeye come back in 2010.

#983428 - 01/10/18 10:32 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
I for one would be elated just to FISH my home waters again before I'm fvcking dead.

You are not alone. That is the reason why they are opening it.

#983464 - 01/11/18 08:15 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: _WW_]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
Originally Posted By: _WW_
Some of this information is dated so it may not be entirely accurate but I think it's close enough to get the idea across.
The management plan was put together by WDFW, three tribes, and the Skagit River System Cooperative. The tribes were involved because that's what co-management means, and it's the law.

It's been reported that the tribes use most of their impacts during the Spring chinook fishery (June) which results in capturing steelhead kelts. This is not accounted for in a 1 for 1 manner, but something like 6 kelts being equal to 1 impact. Reason being that the fish have spawned already and there is reduced likelyhood that most of them will return again.

In the C&R fishery, impacts are calculated at 10% mortality; 10 released = 1 impact.

So what does it all mean?
Lets run some numbers. In the tiered impacts schedule a forecasted run of 5000 fish would allow for 10% impacts. That's 500 dead fish. The Tribes get half and we get half. So for us we are allowed 250 impacts. At a mortality rate of 10% we would have to release 2500 fish to max out the allowed impacts. It's a 12 week season...that means we would have to C&R 208.33 every single week for 12 weeks running. All this while 25% of the run never swims above the downstream fishing barrier!

If you can find a more conservative plan that still allows fishing for steelhead, I'd like to hear about it.

Good points. Can you clarify what "All this while 25% of the run never swims above the downstream fishing barrier" means?

Edited by Cozmo (01/11/18 08:15 AM)
Edit Reason: I can't spell

#983466 - 01/11/18 10:01 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Cozmo,

I won't swear to WW's 25%, but a good portion of the Skagit wild steelhead run stages in the area downstream of the lower fishing boundary until after the season closes, March 15 for the middle river and April 30 for the upper reach upstream of the Dalles bridge, when they then migrate further upstream to spawn.

Sg

#983487 - 01/11/18 10:36 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: Salmo g.]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Cozmo,

I won't swear to WW's 25%, but a good portion of the Skagit wild steelhead run stages in the area downstream of the lower fishing boundary until after the season closes, March 15 for the middle river and April 30 for the upper reach upstream of the Dalles bridge, when they then migrate further upstream to spawn.

Sg

Are you referencing what the seasons used to be prior to the Jan 31st closures?

#983493 - 01/12/18 09:19 AM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Cozmo,

Yes.

Sg

#984286 - 01/26/18 04:19 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Any word on when or if a Skagit/Sauk C & R season will occur this year? Any time frame on pending announcements?

#984296 - 01/26/18 07:18 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: eyeFISH]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Personally looking forward to an opportunity (or two) to huck a Skagit line into its namesake water.... been a MIGHTY long time.

I hope that it comes to fruition.

- Albert Einstein.

#984298 - 01/26/18 07:23 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I exchanged a lot of email today with regional bio Brett Barkdull today following the departments meeting with NOAA on the topic. He indicated the department is trying to fulfill Unsworths promise and schedule a substantial season. Right now, if all things go well, we are looking at 3/1 to 4/15. That's a pretty good estimate, but it isnt etched in stone yet. This issue exposes funding flexibility for the department. In order to get more than two weeks, some other program is going to lose money. More once I l know it...

#984301 - 01/26/18 08:45 PM Re: Skagit C&R [Re: jam session]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

They could make money with an endorsement for that time frame.. 10 bucks like the Columbia?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1016 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |