THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#983894 - 01/20/18 05:53 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks so much for the detailed summary, Larry. Excellent.

Quote:

Questions were raised as to why the Southern U.S. (SUS) is being more severely restricted that Northern fisheries (which includes current negotiations with Canada of the Salmon Treaty)

IIRC there's a fair amount of "horse trading" in these negotiations, correct? I think I heard that one of the reasons Columbia river chinook bounced back is because of a deal with BC to lay off them a bit (I think if we laid off fraser sockeye or something)

Quote:

1. AAG Grossman briefed on the legal aspect of the "secret" nature of the negotiations leading up to the Plan saying confidentiality was dictated by the Federal judge.

This seems like an egregious dereliction on the AAG's part. I listened to the last conference call and Grossman was basically exclaiming "GOTCHA" to the Commission. I envisioned him tapping his fingers together and cackling diabolically.

Instead of performing olympic-level legal gymnastics to cut the public out of the process, he *COULD* have been doing the same to make sure the public was INCLUDED. The AG is after all the "people's lawyer".

First Amendment: "...right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." I'm sure Grossman would scoff at the assertion what he did was uncontitutional, but I THINK the spirit of of the 1st amendment was pretty clearly violated.

Quote:

2. I believe it was AAG Grossman who took exception to the contention that only 11 Stilly fish would have been saved had the Plan been applied to the 2017 season. But that person did not say how many fish the after-the-fact modeling (and such modeling only occurred after the Plan was signed) would have saved.

Not sure if it was the same person, but the Bham PSA president testified that a complete sport closure of area 7 (summer/winter fisheries occupying #3 and #4 the stilly impact list) for the 2016/17 season would have saved only 3.4 stilly chinook. I couldn't believe that, but it was verified by WDFW.

Closing one of the most popular, productive, economically valuable, beautiful etc etc marine areas WOULD SAVE ONLY THREE AND A HALF FISH.

Quote:

3. During the afternoon Staff briefing it was Commissioners McIssac and Carpenter who asked the most pointed questions. Their background in complicated fisheries issues was apparent and a true value to the process. Thank you both!! And Governor Inslee - be sure to re-appoint Commissioner Carpenter!!

Yeah McIsaac is awesome - I am very impressed.

Quote:

4. It was stated that NOAA is not concerned about economic impacts.

Not terribly surprising, but it's it just adorable that NOAA is part of the Department of Commerce?

And I find it baffling that the fishing economy is NOT a factor for them. At the very least, the seafood market is a pretty big part of the picture is it not?

Quote:

6. There was also one comment to the effect that it would be recreational fishers taking the brunt of SUS restrictions. Does that mean that the tribes will be fishing (mostly non-selectively) even if we don't have a season? Staff would not confirm assertions that the Plan will under certain conditions (such as now) result in a total closure (or at least the State's) of salmon seasons. They simply couldn't say those words - kind of like Fonzie (Happy Days) not being able to use the word "mistake." I recall that when pushed Staff used a term like "potential significant impacts." Paint your own picture.

I LOVE the Fonzie similie laugh In the last conference call Kyle Adicks did say out loud that if the plan had been used as a guideline for 16/17 that area 7 would likely have been totally closed. Can't take that one back Kyle.

Remember the vociferous backlash in 2016 when the Tribes went ahead and fished before an NOF agreement was reached (and recs were off the water)? I think that would pale in comparison to this scenario. Or would it. Sportfisherman haven't been able to galvanize too well around much, so I'm not sure why I think this would be different. We've been taking a slow-motion beatdown for ages. We might just peter out with a whimper.

Quote:

7. There was a push to have the unofficial Plan utilized for 2018 and probably 2019 because NOAA's process probably won't be completed prior to those seasons.

Push by who? That's upsetting.

Edited by Chasin' Baitman (01/21/18 08:34 AM)

#983895 - 01/20/18 06:09 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Chasin' Baitman
Thanks so much for the detailed summary, Larry. Excellent.

Originally Posted By: Larry B

7. There was a push to have the unofficial Plan utilized for 2018 and probably 2019 because NOAA's process probably won't be completed prior to those seasons.

Push by who? That's upsetting.

Thank you. I would have written it up last night but the brain was numb.

As for using the Plan for 2018 and 2019 that came from Staff during the briefing. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "push" but it was clear to me that the Plan would certainly be the template for NOF for those two years because NOAA would not be able to formalize the Plan in time for 2018 and most likely not for 2019.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#983914 - 01/21/18 05:38 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Sportfisherman haven't been able to galvanize too well around much, so I'm not sure why I think this would be different. We've been taking a slow-motion beatdown for ages. We might just peter out with a whimper.

True dat!

#983917 - 01/21/18 08:51 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: _WW_]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: _WW_
Sportfisherman haven't been able to galvanize too well around much, so I'm not sure why I think this would be different. We've been taking a slow-motion beatdown for ages. We might just peter out with a whimper.

True dat!

We have over 5000 sportsmen who have galvanized around the lack of transparency issue, and probably a hell of a lot more who are following the issue. It's not having sportsmen come together and support something that's the problem. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM IS MOST WANT SOMEONE ELSE TO DO ALL THE WORK TO FIX THE PROBLEMS!!

Example: How many sport fishermen live in S.W. Washington, say within an hours drive of Ridgefield? How many showed up to speak at the Commission meeting?

How many have actually sent emails? How many have contacted their state representatives?

It's not about "galvanizing" around an issue. It's apathy and laziness. It's an attitude that "somebody ought to do something", AND THEN NEVER BECOMING "THAT SOMEBODY",that has us in the mess we are in.

We sports fishermen have given away our voice and our power by in-action. Just like the Commission will give away it's authority if they do not fire Unsworth.

For every guy that bitches here on the internet, and does NOTHING else, we grow weaker!

For every fishermen who says "Nothing will change". We are assured, nothing will change.

And for every person who bought a license and then leaves all the heavy lifting to everyone else, shame on you! You are part of the problem!

We are at a critical point in our fisheries. We have a petition in front of the Commission asking them to convert the NOF policy into a WAC. Never in a long time have we been this close to having a real voice in our fishery management. There should be a laser focus right now by every single sport fisher on getting the Commission to move forward on the conversion. WE NEED TO HAVE THEM VOTE "YES" TO CONVERT THAT NOF POLICY TO A WAC. THEY NEED TO HEAR FROM EVERY SINGLE LICENSE HOLDER. THEY NEED TO KNOW WE ARE UNITED, STRONG AND WILLING TO DO THE HEAVY LIFTING TOGETHER!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#983918 - 01/21/18 08:54 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
The Commission needs to stay, Grays Harbor has a Policy that was reached with agreement of parties concern....lasts until 2023, then ????

I have included a web address......pretty clear in wording !!!

https://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/policies/c3621.html

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#983923 - 01/21/18 09:32 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf

Example: How many sport fishermen live in S.W. Washington, say within an hours drive of Ridgefield? How many showed up to speak at the Commission meeting?

There were several guys who testified about the status of the Cowlitz and particularly the loss of early return steelhead and its impact on the local economy.

There was also testimony urging the Commission to stay the course with regard to their original policy to remove gillnets from the main stem of the Columbia. That issue is still perking and will be coming up for Commission action. As an issue it certainly did not receive the support I would have expected. As I recall the CCA reps focused their testimony on the PLAN; hope they are able to quickly shift focus and push support for the CR policy.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#983924 - 01/21/18 09:51 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Bay wolf]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
"We are at a critical point in our fisheries. We have a petition in front of the Commission asking them to convert the NOF policy into a WAC. Never in a long time have we been this close to having a real voice in our fishery management. There should be a laser focus right now by every single sport fisher on getting the Commission to move forward on the conversion. WE NEED TO HAVE THEM VOTE "YES" TO CONVERT THAT NOF POLICY TO A WAC. THEY NEED TO HEAR FROM EVERY SINGLE LICENSE HOLDER. THEY NEED TO KNOW WE ARE UNITED, STRONG AND WILLING TO DO THE HEAVY LIFTING TOGETHER!"

Changing the NOF Policy so that is part of the Washington Administrative Code will allow us a pathway to rule making through the Commission. This proposal will be considered for approval on or around Feb. 2nd.

I ask you...in light of recent (or past) events relating to issues long deliberated, put off or just plain ignored by WDFW...why wouldn't this action be of vital importance to everyone of us? We all piss and moan re: WDFW's strategy of procrastination and utter lack of action. WHY NOT MAKE THAT WORN OUT TACTIC UNLAWFUL? Get familiar with, and behind this effort. Let the Commission hear your point of view and worthy rationale...more than just once!

The Twin Hbrs Group wholly endorses this procedure, and the track record of their efforts to initiate stakeholder participation and subsequent change is definitely something to look up to.

This is a major Game Changer--but only if we fiercely pursue and support the effort to make it come about.

#983926 - 01/21/18 10:26 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Bay wolf]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
Originally Posted By: _WW_

True dat!

We have over 5000 sportsmen who have galvanized around the lack of transparency issue, and probably a hell of a lot more who are following the issue. It's not having sportsmen come together and support something that's the problem. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM IS MOST WANT SOMEONE ELSE TO DO ALL THE WORK TO FIX THE PROBLEMS!!

Sorry Bay wolf, I wasn't trying to diminish the incredible effort you've put into this (and also all the great work Twin Harbors has done). You have my full support AND participation.

I am just moaning about the historical lack of participation of sportsmen in the process. Too often in the past I've been shocked and disappointed by the apathy of license holders, so perhaps I'm trying to manage my own expectations about the future.

That, added to the general feeling by those who have participated that their engagement hasn't made a damn bit of difference. Heard this from a former sportfishing advisor the other day.

I've always asked, "what would it take to REALLY get people involved?" The numbers for effecting real change do exist (license holders). Perhaps it would take a total closure for that to happen. I would seriously hope that if there were a total closure PLUS the tribes still fish, people would finally speak up.

But lets hope it doesn't get to that point!

Side note...people who "just talk" are way more valuable than we think. Thinking about the issues and participating in discussion IS engagement. Even if they never send a letter to the governor or go to a meeting or a protest, we need people out there thinking about the issues, talking with others.

#983929 - 01/21/18 11:18 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

So what do you think is THE most important:

1. Shake up at WDFW leadership (Fire Unsworth and reassign senior leadership).
2. Convert Policy to WAC
3. Get rid of AAG Grossman

#1 would seem to be a question of when not if. I am all for right now. It would seem neither Unsworth nor his direct reports are actively engaged in a constructive effort to salvage the situation.

#2 is hardest to accomplish as it will involve legislation.

#3 should be easy given that Grossman has not been functioning in a manner consistent with the AG's mission statement (http://www.atg.wa.gov/mission-vision-values) and works for an elected politician. The lack of transparency alone should be enough to catalyze change here. Anyone feel like writing to the AG?

We need to all get behind some concrete goals and start pushing. I nominate any one or all of the above.

#983930 - 01/21/18 11:27 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
One of the problems with simply reassigning staff is that they are still there.

A new Director will work if the Commission makes non-compliance a fireable offense and then follows through.

Reassigning staff will work if the new leadership no only takes direction from the Commission but gets compliance from below.

Otherwise, all that happens is that the Titanic's deck chairs are rearranged again.

#983932 - 01/21/18 12:02 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
All of the above are interesting questions/scenarios. I'm faithful that NO Director--present or future--will again flirt with non-compliance after this dust up. Existing staff should be put through a comprehensive performance review, and the dead wood should be cast aside. AAG Grossman has stepped over the line, and should be the subjected to reassignment...or, better yet--termination.

The future course of WDFW will be determined by actions soon to transpire.

#983934 - 01/21/18 12:19 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Grossman's performance will be reviewed by AG Fergusen. Need to find out what he thinks of the performance.

#983940 - 01/21/18 03:27 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Geoduck

Making the policy a WAC is in the powers of the Commission. It doesn't require legislative action.

#983941 - 01/21/18 04:11 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

To clear up regs, a WAC (Washington Administrative Code) is the rules that are made by agencies to enforce RCW (Revised Code of Washington) which are what the Legislature enacts.

RCWs are "Laws"
WACs are "Rules"

#983945 - 01/21/18 05:26 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
....and it is much easier to change a WAC than a statute.

#983947 - 01/21/18 06:47 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

The conversion process is essential. Here's why. First, a policy is advisory. There is no method to sue for violation of a policy. It can be ignored with little ramifications.

With a WAC, there are consequences for violating. And it would allow us to sue if needed.

Here is a link to the steps, if anyone would like to read through them:

Steps to Rule Making

The advantages to a rule, and particularly the process, is the public input period! We then can speak to the Commission directly to include open meetings! They can also address their delegations in a very narrow manner, so we will never see what happened in the Ten year plan. A WAC can be easily changed, so it is flexible enough to evolve as we progress in our fisheries.

But, it's all for nothing IF THE AAG CONVINCES THE COMMISSION TO KILL IT!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#983955 - 01/21/18 09:23 PM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

So easy even I could do it.

#983965 - 01/22/18 04:31 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Take-Down]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Originally Posted By: Take-Down
1. If the Commission has the power to fire the Director, they should do so immediately. His handling of the Mgmt Plan is reprehensible. And really, at this point, it's pretty clear that he's a dipsh*t (and this from a guy who has defended WDFW on this board for years).

2. Am I the only one who finds it odd/depressing/mystifying that Trump's administration is pretty much abandoning the environment on all fronts and yet NOAA is still all over us about catch and release encounters? Shouldn't a little Federal help on the NOAA/Mgmt Plan front be the silver lining of Trump?

1. What does the commission have to do to fire him? How is this addressed?
2. Anything that doesn’t help Salmon will lead to less Salmon.

#983970 - 01/22/18 05:54 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
Originally Posted By: Take-Down
1. If the Commission has the power to fire the Director, they should do so immediately. His handling of the Mgmt Plan is reprehensible. And really, at this point, it's pretty clear that he's a dipsh*t (and this from a guy who has defended WDFW on this board for years).

2. Am I the only one who finds it odd/depressing/mystifying that Trump's administration is pretty much abandoning the environment on all fronts and yet NOAA is still all over us about catch and release encounters? Shouldn't a little Federal help on the NOAA/Mgmt Plan front be the silver lining of Trump?

1. What does the commission have to do to fire him? How is this addressed?
2. Anything that doesn’t help Salmon will lead to less Salmon.

The Commission can fire Unsworth through a simple majority vote.

Other's can address the NOAA/Trump question.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#983971 - 01/22/18 07:39 AM Re: Should the commission be disbanded? [Re: Geoduck]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I am somewhat surprised, given the Administration's "leanings" regarding race and government over-reach that they haven't jumped in here with both jack-booted feet. Seriously. Their base is being screwed. Maybe it is because WA is too blue that reds here can just flounder around.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, 20 Gage), 1435 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |