THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#984748 - 02/02/18 09:43 AM It's done..the Com must obey the tribes!
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
The Commissioners just voted unanimously against the conversion. They said as long as the Tribes say no transparency, then the answer is NO....(but keep asking)

Commissioner DAVID GRAYBILL actually said "they (us) should be petitioning the tribes, not the commission." REALLY!!! It's very clear the tribes really do run the DEPARTMENT AND THE COMMISSION.

SORRY GUYS, IT'S APPARENT NEITHER THE DEPARTMENT NOR THE COMMISSION HAS ANY AUTHORITY NOT GIVEN TO THEM BY THE TRIBES.

IF ALL IT TAKES IS FOR THE TRIBES TO SAY NO, AND THERE IS NO PUSHBACK AT ALL, THEN WE FEAR OUR TIME ON THE WATER IS INDEED SHORT.

THIS ENDS MY STRUGGLE, AT LEAST FOR ME. I CANNOT DEAL WITH DISHONEST AND UNTRUSTWORTHY MEN ANY LONGER.

WE GAVE IT A GOOD FIGHT, THANK YOU ALL.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#984749 - 02/02/18 10:25 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
Ward Offline
Parr

This is truly disappointing news.

#984750 - 02/02/18 10:36 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Are we gonna have to go to Tahola now to buy our licenses now that the state is selling out?

fp

#984751 - 02/02/18 10:53 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: fp]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: fp
Are we gonna have to go to Tahola now to buy our licenses now that the state is selling out?

fp

Yea....just swing a little further North after you get a limit of clams, to get a license.

mmmmm, salmon now, how long on clam takeover ?????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#984752 - 02/02/18 11:04 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Wow. Just wow. This makes me feel glum. It gives me no incentive to support the Department. (This is difficult considering how hard some of us have been working on restoring the Skagit steelhead season.)

At this point I see no reason for WA sport fishing license buyers and WA state taxpayers to support any General Fund appropriations to the Department whatever. I think I would support discontinuing about 90% of state funding for hatchery Chinook and coho. Why pay taxes to produce hatchery Chinook and coho primarily for AK, BC, NI commercial, and treaty fishing, with little to no non-treaty recreational angling?

Sg

#984754 - 02/02/18 11:17 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Salmo g.]
Gusty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA. USA
Are we getting to the point (in my opinion we reached it years ago) where massive civil disobedience regarding the purchase of hunting and fishing licenses is warranted?

This board has had the same discussions for years without any substantial improvenment for the sportsman.

Maybe we need to think about other more political ways of protesting.

Edited by Gusty (02/03/18 06:08 AM)

#984764 - 02/02/18 12:13 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Gusty]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: Gusty
Curt....are we getting to the point (in my opinion we reached it years ago) where massive civil disobedience regarding the purchase of hunting and fishing licenses is warranted?

This board has had the same discussions for years without any substantial improvenment for the sportsman.

Since they've mentioned that they don't have enough money for enforcement (e.g. the Skagit fishery) then it wouldn't take very many people disobeying to make it impractical for them to enforce anything...

I've read a fair amount about civil disobedience and the idea of appealing to lesser magistrates. If such a movement were to come about with regard to our fisheries, we would be best served by having a lesser magistrates (an individual game warden, local elected official, etc.) lead the cause. If sport fisherman go rogue without any authorities helping, it won't go well. History tells us this.

#984767 - 02/02/18 12:23 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Adna
Thank you for the months / perhaps years working on this issue Bay wolf. I too am disappointed but not at all surprised.

I quit fishing altogether in 2001 after being repeatedly lied to by the staff at region 5. What really pissed me off was how those pricks could look Harry in the eye, lie to his face and think he would not figure it out.

I guess the only bright spot in this whole mess is that in just a few very years, like five maybe, what recreational fishers have going on right now for salmon and steelhead will be remembered as " The Good Ol' Days " .......

#984768 - 02/02/18 12:32 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: TedR]
Gusty Offline
Returning Adult

Maybe us all going on strike is a better way to put it.

I certainly am not condoning fishing without a license anywhere...yet:)

Edited by Gusty (02/02/18 12:37 PM)

#984771 - 02/02/18 12:35 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I suspect the Commissioners recognize the legal frame work that constrain their actions. Pacific salmon management in North America is subject to the Pacific Salmon Treaty. The northwest treaty tribes have equal standing with the states. Look up the Pacific Salmon Treaty Article XI, Domestic Allocation. It is also worthwhile to look at the federal law pertaining to the implementation of the treaty in the United States. It is linked below. The struggle is not with the Commissioners or the tribes, it is with the US State Department who is responsible for negotiating the treaties and the congress that passes laws implementing them.

PACIFIC SALMON TREATY ACT OF 1985

#984796 - 02/02/18 02:17 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
_WW_ Online   content
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Thanks for the tremendous effort Baywolf! I really thought that this would probably be a slam dunk. Like Salmo, I have to re-evaluate my relationship with WDFW.

The root of it may lie with the feds, but the state needs to make the approach. How do we do that? Quit buying licenses. Letters will be going out to my reps on Monday.

#984800 - 02/02/18 02:26 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
_WW_ Online   content
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
I just had a thought. I won't just automatically buy my license asap like usual. I think I'll wait until I need it...and that may not be until fall.
If a lot of folks do it, it could send a message on April 1st.

#984805 - 02/02/18 03:10 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Unfortunately most the licenses bought in April are for the lowland lakes opener, usually get used a time or three for that, and then don't get used the rest of the year. Those people aren't on this forum, and aren't engaged with the politics of salmon and steelhead.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#984811 - 02/02/18 04:27 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
For those may be interested here is a link to the audio recording of todays conference call-

https://wdfw/wa.gov/commission/meetings/2018/02/audio_feb018.html

Yes it does such that we can not hear/see what is going on between the co-managers behind closed doors. However it would appear that federal law is on the tribe side not sure what options the State has.

Curt

#984832 - 02/02/18 08:55 PM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Smalma]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Smalma

Yes it does such that we can not hear/see what is going on between the co-managers behind closed doors. However it would appear that federal law is on the tribe side not sure what options the State has.

This was my thought. If the state says "our meetings have to be open" and the tribes say "no thanks" and back out of meetings, who wins and who loses?

Last year showed us that tribes can get super-special-extra-quick federal approval while non-tribal fishermen sit at home. That's the fundamental problem with the co-management framework, as I see it.

#984840 - 02/03/18 04:21 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: MPM]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
Originally Posted By: MPM
[quote=Smalma

Last year showed us that tribes can get super-special-extra-quick federal approval while non-tribal fishermen sit at home. That's the fundamental problem with the co-management framework, as I see it.

What "Co-Management"?

#984841 - 02/03/18 05:50 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: ]
Gusty Offline
Returning Adult

I don’t necessarily agree...I think the right political statement that actually gets some publicity could go a long way and wouldn’t brand anyone.... Anyone remember the public outcry when the Makah hunted that whale back in 1999? If I recall correctly there was helicopter news coverage and lots of press. What if... just what if we had the same type of coverage of the overfishing that happened out in Forks this last fall that shut an entire river system down?

Our whole point to the masses would be to pay attention. We are protesting because something stinks....

We have been doing the same things trying to talk and negotiate ourselves a solution and it’s not working.... let’s try a different path.

Edited by Gusty (02/03/18 06:27 AM)

#984842 - 02/03/18 07:31 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
RICH G
Unregistered

maybe the sportsman should sue the state for lack of fair representation regarding good faith negotiations on the basis that WDFW is compromised the governors office is compromised and the AG's office is compromised. .

Maybe Todd would be willing to file the case for free?

Edited by RICH G (02/03/18 07:32 AM)

#984845 - 02/03/18 07:41 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Bay wolf]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey

The coverage of the Macah incident might have been because the Macahs may not contribute to legislators nor buy TV ads.

#984848 - 02/03/18 08:35 AM Re: It's done..the Com must obey the tribes! [Re: Gusty]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Gusty
Are we getting to the point (in my opinion we reached it years ago) where massive civil disobedience regarding the purchase of hunting and fishing licenses is warranted?

I agree 100%. Thank you for all your efforts. You guys worked hard and understandably are disappointed. This ain't the end of the world. Their is still fishing and will be fishing seasons. Just might not be the same as it has been.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 972 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |