THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#997724 - 11/29/18 02:33 PM Pathetic but oh so true.
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

#997738 - 11/29/18 04:43 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Yeah - that's sad. Because of the particular situation, I'm trying really hard to refrain from the whole "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" thing...but damn that's just stupid.

Why was there even an unarmed and unguarded mother and her young baby in the camp to begin with? Why was she even there? Totally unnecessary. These should guys know better and they do know better. Especially if they've already had previous problem bears.

Part of winning the risk battle is not even playing the game of chance and removing yourself from bad opportunities. Hell, there's another million different ways for that mother & baby to die up there past just bears - so where is the common sense?

Sad.

#997749 - 11/29/18 06:11 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
NickD90 Offline

Thanks Captain Obvious. This was a very remote hunting and trapping camp in problem bear country during the big hunger. She was there on maternity leave with child and they were out and about walking while unarmed and unguarded.

I continue to find it baffling how bad things seem to happen right after stupid decisions are made. I just must be a dense city slicker without extensive backcountry experience. What do I know. thumbs

#997751 - 11/29/18 06:21 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
NickD90 Offline

Nah - I knew that you were just speaking figuratively.

#997754 - 11/29/18 06:47 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Who do you hold accountable?

Why does someone have to be accountable?

If you live where bears are, then you will have contact with bears. It's their fuckin house, after all.

This isn't a "we don't get to hunt enough" or "we shouldn't hunt" issue, not in the least...hunting or not, bears live in BC and Alaska. Bears are predators. Bears are territorial. People and bears together result in confrontations, and those typically end in the death of a person or a bear.

You can't blame the bear; they're being bears, they don't have any choices in the matter. They didn't come to someone else's house looking for a fight, it's where they live, and it's what they do.

This is a tragic story on many levels, and there are no easy answers or explanations for it.

"Shoot more bears" is a gross oversimplification to a complex problem. It's the exact opposite and equal answer as "don't ever go where bears are"...which is also a gross oversimplification.

Yeah, shooting more bears would reduce confrontations. So would people not being where bears live. Why is one any better than the other?

The answer is that they aren't...people and bears are going to be together, and confrontations are going to happen.

Seems to me that there were several things that could have happened to avoid this, and picking one and saying "this is who/what is accountable!" is ignoring the rest.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#997772 - 11/30/18 07:04 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I think Todd nails it. This is a really bad time of year for concentrated protein to be in bear country, especially Grizzly. They need lots of protein, they need it now.

There is a lot of truth to the "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" idea. Plus, life is a risk. Somebody here gets involved in a car wreck will there be calls to ban all cars, or kill all drivers (at least the subset that caused the wreck?). That is the risk and the beauty of the outdoors.

Our daughter, at Clemson, was out hiking recently and almost stepped on a small Copperhead. It apparently was trying to bite her ankle. Snake was beautiful, small, dangerous, and had every right to be there. They stepped around it and went on their hike.

#997775 - 11/30/18 08:38 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

King County continues it's march toward ignorance.

#997784 - 11/30/18 12:24 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Didn't read the article. Don't got no facebook. Besides, I hear Facebook is a 306'er thing.

Doesn't sound like the bear was interested in eating, as the bear mauled the two people to death and then charged the husband. No cubs so I gather is was not a protective mamma bear. The bear didn't stick around to eat what it killed. Was doing it for fun, pleasure, or the whatnots. Probably sick, weak, or was a member here on the Darkside.

Bear gone bad.

Bear gotta go.

Doesn't mean you gotta kill every last bear or severly cull the brown bear population, though....if that was what was being mentioned in the article. Just the problem bears. They gotta go.

Just like the problem wolves. They gotta go too.

Problem sharks are OK, though.

"Now, if we could just get rid of the problem people" -A. Hitler & J. Stalin

#997830 - 12/01/18 10:32 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If this forum had a "like" button, Paker would get quite a few likes, and not just cuz he's a mod.

#997835 - 12/01/18 11:50 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: The Moderator]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: elparquito

Do you propose a remedy for that Paker? Perhaps a final solution?

#997837 - 12/01/18 11:56 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Interesting article and video featuring bears, bait, poaching, timber companies, cheatin' hunters with hounds and questionable WDFW bear management practices. Gotta be a reality TV show, or a soap opera for outdoorsy types in there somewhere...

https://www.king5.com/article/tech/scien...w/281-545006442

#997850 - 12/01/18 02:20 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: NickD90]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Originally Posted By: elparquito

Do you propose a remedy for that Paker? Perhaps a final solution?

It appears that those that like to dish it out---can’t take it---Pity.

It also appears like attacking the messenger instead of the message is the preferred method, instead of a debate on the subject matter of that particular thread.

Either way works for me.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#997861 - 12/01/18 05:26 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
NickD90 Offline

You're reading way too much into things. Hanlon's razor Chief. I see an opening to make a horrible, poor, no good WWII joke and I take it. I call my shots. Albeit generally very poorly and to the detriment of greater society at large.

Edited by NickD90 (12/01/18 05:29 PM)

#997882 - 12/02/18 10:33 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: NickD90]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Yeah - that's sad. Because of the particular situation, I'm trying really hard to refrain from the whole "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" thing...but damn that's just stupid.

Why was there even an unarmed and unguarded mother and her young baby in the camp to begin with? Why was she even there? Totally unnecessary. These should guys know better and they do know better. Especially if they've already had previous problem bears.

Part of winning the risk battle is not even playing the game of chance and removing yourself from bad opportunities. Hell, there's another million different ways for that mother & baby to die up there past just bears - so where is the common sense?

Sad.

+1

#997883 - 12/02/18 10:34 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: NickD90]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Thanks Captain Obvious. This was a very remote hunting and trapping camp in problem bear country during the big hunger. She was there on maternity leave with child and they were out and about walking while unarmed and unguarded.

I continue to find it baffling how bad things seem to happen right after stupid decisions are made. I just must be a dense city slicker without extensive backcountry experience. What do I know. thumbs

+1

#997884 - 12/02/18 10:47 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: Todd]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Todd
Who do you hold accountable?

Why does someone have to be accountable?

If you live where bears are, then you will have contact with bears. It's their fuckin house, after all.

This isn't a "we don't get to hunt enough" or "we shouldn't hunt" issue, not in the least...hunting or not, bears live in BC and Alaska. Bears are predators. Bears are territorial. People and bears together result in confrontations, and those typically end in the death of a person or a bear.

You can't blame the bear; they're being bears, they don't have any choices in the matter. They didn't come to someone else's house looking for a fight, it's where they live, and it's what they do.

This is a tragic story on many levels, and there are no easy answers or explanations for it.

"Shoot more bears" is a gross oversimplification to a complex problem. It's the exact opposite and equal answer as "don't ever go where bears are"...which is also a gross oversimplification.

Yeah, shooting more bears would reduce confrontations. So would people not being where bears live. Why is one any better than the other?

The answer is that they aren't...people and bears are going to be together, and confrontations are going to happen.

Seems to me that there were several things that could have happened to avoid this, and picking one and saying "this is who/what is accountable!" is ignoring the rest.

Fish on...

Todd

I don't camp in rattlesnake dens in Eastern Washington for a reason. Shockey like so many has the "kill mentality" as evidenced by his life long career of killing. Do you think he's eaten every bite of what he's killed? I think not. I gave up deer hunting right after I started. They taste like sh!t regardless of how you cook it unless you flavor it up which defeats the purpose. If you kill it you should eat it.

Being a father and a grandfather I feel bad for that woman and her baby. It's heart breaking but if my daughter said she was going up there I would have begged her not to. Common sense....something so many people lack. There are a lot of people that live off the grid that realize they are in the bear's house like you said Todd and they know the risks and live with those risks.

#997936 - 12/03/18 12:46 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

"Didn't read the article. Don't got no facebook. Besides, I hear Facebook is a 306'er thing."

You don't need Facebook to click on the link and read it professor.
I respect you choosing not to read it though.
I guess that makes me pro choice.

#997937 - 12/03/18 12:49 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I'm trained NOT to click on anything I didn't personally request, let alone posted on this board.

I bet Evo clicked on the link and got herpes.

Crap. I clicked on the link. I feel unclean now.

Eh, still stand by what I said...although I am just as much of an expert on grizzy bears as the rest of you and all we really share on this is our opinions. Which are like assholes.

I still stand by what I wrote. Killing more bears won't solve anything. A population of 1 can still kill.

WE are invading THEIR territory and are doing so more and more every day. That isn't going to stop, by the way.

People that wish to live in grizzly bear country should be very aware of the dangers, and if they chose to ignore it, so be it.

Now, don't get me started about REINTRODUCING grizzly bears (or wolves) to an area where they no longer exist......if that isn't the definition of stupid, then I do not know what is.

#997938 - 12/03/18 01:34 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

if they are over populating an area, you need to maintain a level that isnt a threat....

more bears, more food needed, if there isnt the food they normally eat, they will shift to something else...

its funny how some hunter/fisherman, say things like "we dont need to get rid of more bears", then in the same breath, say "we need to get rid of some of the sea lions" because they are harming fish returns...

you cant have it both ways, either its population control, or not...

as far as us invading their space, we are the apex predators on this planet, its OUR space as well... not just the bears... this is a planet, and we all co exist on it...

this isnt just brown bears either, from what ive been told by locals at Kaites dads house in Campbell River, is that the black bears are more of a threat there than the browns... the black bears have no fear of humans at all... they are the ones that rip the garbage cans apart and go into houses/cabins the most apparently...

as far as wolves, well, PETA and their friends are going to cause a real bad problem soon... they are already on this side of the mountains, and if you know anything about dogs, you know how they breed.....

#997941 - 12/03/18 03:03 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

"If man manages some of the species in an ecosystem he should manage the species of the eco system".

Me
12/3/18

#997969 - 12/04/18 02:58 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
GoldDigger Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
"If man manages some of the species in an ecosystem he should manage the species of the eco system".

Me
12/3/18

Every time man tries to manage the eco system all they do is fukkk it up.

#997978 - 12/04/18 09:07 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Pepper spray, don't go anywhere - even to the latrine - in bear country without it.

#997983 - 12/04/18 10:16 AM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0

Me
12/3/18

...especially the humans, who are the ones who really have the ability to fukk it up.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#998123 - 12/05/18 02:44 PM Re: Pathetic but oh so true. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Fucktards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |