THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#525423 - 08/04/09 06:41 PM Snohomish River Work Party?
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snoho County
Got the day open tomorrow and thought the Snohomish River could use some makeshift buoys (empty milk or bleech jugs) to identify some of the dead heads that are poking their heads out of the water. Back when I was a kid...it seemed that almost every dead head had a rope and white jug attached to it...have not seen nearly as many in recent years...With all of the humpy traffic that the river is about to see I think we could maybe save a boat or two, or skag, lower unit...maybe even a life. Any takers on a scenic boat ride/makeshift buoy day go ahead and PM me. Low tide is a minus one at -.8 feet at 11:17 am at Everett...True low tide in Snohomish will probably be around noonish...thinking of launching the boat at 9am or so at Snohomish and work our way downstream from there...maybe at least get some of the heads identified. Hope to find a jumping fish or two as well.
425-280-5494

#525430 - 08/04/09 07:19 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: Rotten Chum]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
That's a noble Idea RC! I don't think there are a lot of (any?) navigationally hazardous dead heads between Snohomish and Everett though... at least not any hidden ones?

There are a TON of them behind the island in the right side channel just below Douglas bar though... don't ask me how I know!

I'd say the most hazardous area to humpy season boaters is the stretch between Snohomish and the Hwy 522 bridge. Whoever could mark the path through the elephant graveyard with milk jugs would be doing a BIG service! I've personally witnessed more than a handful of boats bite it going through there... especially at low tide.

#525447 - 08/04/09 08:04 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: 4Salt]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

I was just there this Saturday and saw quite a few hanging around below Snohomish...especially during low tide...and if the tide is just right without any surface disturbance from current, those dead heads are blind to a boater even while wearing some quality polarized glasses. Below Snohomish during the thick of the run you are going to find plenty of boats down there that are drawing 3 feet of water and there are plenty of logs in that range just below the surface...again...on a low tide more then a high tide. I've whitnessed several boats kiss some deadheads going 30 plus miles and hour below Snohomish and hope to minimize that from happening. As far as upstream around the Thomas Eddy, the stump garden, and up to 522...I would rather not give any prop boats the confidence to navigate that stretch without a jet.
425-280-5494

#525448 - 08/04/09 08:10 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: Rotten Chum]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Sounds like a job for S & S Aqua Logging grin

Seriously though Mr. Rotten Chum, good idea on your part thumbs

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#525474 - 08/04/09 09:36 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: NOFISH]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
RC, thats a great thought. not to sound overly negative. but brewer can see the moronic public seeing all the milk, bleach or 5 gallon buckets out in the river. and making a stink about how ugly they are. now maybe if the floatys are camo'd to here they can't be seen. well then it outa work.

#525509 - 08/04/09 10:47 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: Brewer]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Brewer...good point for sure...the last thing I want is to round up a littering ticket...but I guess I 'd rather see a couple of white jugs then to watch x amount of quarts of lower unit oil or two stroke oil get dumped into the river from an accident...or have an entire boat go under gas tank and all cuz of a hidden head. By the way Brewer...thanks for volunteering to have your contact info on each jug in case one gets lost! JJ!
So any takers tomorrow...I've already got one interested?
Thanks
425-280-5494

#525516 - 08/04/09 11:07 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: Rotten Chum]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Good for You John ...Great fish Karma ...And YES it very well could save a life and that's a HELL of a lot better than any fish karma...
Sorry we're both workin' but we'll make time this weekend if needed!

#525523 - 08/04/09 11:30 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: NOFISH]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: NOFISH
Sounds like a job for S & S Aqua Logging grin

lol

- Albert Einstein.

#525531 - 08/04/09 11:42 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: Brewer]
fishnclifff Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver WA
Originally Posted By: Brewer
RC, thats a great thought. not to sound overly negative. but brewer can see the moronic public seeing all the milk, bleach or 5 gallon buckets out in the river. and making a stink about how ugly they are. now maybe if the floatys are camo'd to here they can't be seen. well then it outa work.

Good luck. Wedid that in the Skagit in 1992. The greenies complained about posible pollution and they were all removed.

#525533 - 08/04/09 11:46 PM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: fishnclifff]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Also a concern for possible pollution when you have oil slicks consisting of gas, oil, and lower unit juice from a broken lower unit or an entire engine that gets torn off...heard of it happening...
425-280-5494

#525550 - 08/05/09 12:32 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: ]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
I also think it is a good idea and would be willing to help RC. Not Wednesday though. PM me a bit more ahead of time next time and I will try to make it work. Maybe early next week?
I ran the section from High Bridge on the Snoq to the stump farm/elephant graveyard in the Snoho Monday afternoon. Some real skinny spots below upper rock and no Humpy's in sight.
I agree about not encouraging props up that high . .. . .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#525560 - 08/05/09 12:56 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: FishRanger]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
John, maybe Steve Thiesfield, the fisherys guy for our area here might be able to help you all out. Thinking of a proper and accepted bouy here so as not to put something in that they will want removed. Darn good idea, thanks for trying to make it safer for all of us out there. It was nice meeting you on the Cowlitz.

Chuck Gauthier

CCA KITSAP CHAPTER

#525566 - 08/05/09 01:03 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: N W Panhandler]
team cracker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
+ 1 good idea

#525573 - 08/05/09 01:18 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: team cracker]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Thinking I might wait a couple of days and get together a team of boats to really cover the water and thanks to NW Panhandler (Chuck) for the intelligent idea of looking into a meaningful buoy that represents a dead head...maybe an airbrushed buoy with a dead looking head...maybe looking something like Carrot Top with that big ole orange head of hair he's got for easy visibility...I'll check into the tides for next week and see what we can throw together.
Thanks guys

Edited by Rotten Chum (08/05/09 01:19 AM)
425-280-5494

#525575 - 08/05/09 01:19 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: team cracker]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
i would do some looking into as to what the DFG suggest for your idea. all you need is one greeny tree huggin seal lover to raise a stink. then comes a fine.

brewer sees things on a slant. for example. for every great idea and or deed. that is ment to do good for others or the wilds.... there is a fine for the good doer.

#525579 - 08/05/09 01:35 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: Brewer]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I am in and have sled--FR if you want to hop in your welcome. Early next week works

#525584 - 08/05/09 02:08 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: Coho]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Speaking of seals there Brewer, I saw one up above 522 on Monday .. . . must be some fish around somewhere.. . . .. .

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#525588 - 08/05/09 02:36 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: FishRanger]
J.Brower Offline
Smolt

Loc: Snohomish
i too have a sled and would be willing to help out, i ran that area a week ago and saw a few that would have eaten a prop no problem.

#525614 - 08/05/09 11:23 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: Coho]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

RC and Coho, sounds good for next week, I could probably do Monday or Tuesday.
RC, shoot me a pm with details when you have them.

#525619 - 08/05/09 11:29 AM Re: Snohomish River Work Party? [Re: J.Brower]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

I checked the tides for early next week and they are not real conducive to be out there finding logs. Monday has a low tide at 2:06pm with it being a +2.6...we may be able to tag quite a few...but not the ones that might end up eating up a boat at low tide...the 16th (opener) through the 21st of August have negative prop eating low tides ranging from -1.2 all the way to -2.3 and that is when there is going to be a mess of people out there...tomorrow and Friday both are still in the negative and we may tag more of them heading out then. Is there anyone out there that could go tomorrow or Friday?
425-280-5494

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |