Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#582937 - 02/21/10 03:28 PM Kudos to Hatch
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Over the last two years I've rowed all the Puget Sound rivers in a buddy's woodie. Easy stuff.
Been a passenger (Lowe Down) on the hatchery drift of the Sol Duc three times. I didn't really pay attention since I never thought I'd own a boat or row out there. Good times and yeah this is big technical water...I'll never row it. No problem.
Bought a boat. Rowed all the PS rivers in this boat in the last three months. Ventured out and did the Wynoochie and Humptulips a few times each. Good times.
So a buddy and I did Maxfield to WD last friday with rising waters. We walked Shuwah via the side channel. No problem in my mind being safe. Got the bug though. I'm really liking this stuff.
Did Nooch again on Thurs. with the boy and dog. Did Bogi 101 drift on Friday....pretty low and more stuff than I remembered but no problem.
Sat did Maxfield drift again. Anchored up to walk the Shuwah and saw a boat coming down behind me and waited for him.
Guy pulls up and I ask if I can follow him though Shuwah. Dude is very cool and says sure no problem. We figure out we "know each other" from this board. How cool is that? We bs for a while and then head down the river. I had a problem slowing that big azz boat down and almost made a big ouch once but recovered.
Thanks again Eric (Hatch) for chatting and showing me the path.
ps If anyone (KK?) is looking for 9 ft Cataracts let me know. I think I'm switching to something lighter and a little longer.

#582974 - 02/21/10 08:32 PM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
A lot of rapids are only sketchy the first time...Shuwah is definitely one of those...nice on getting out there and doing it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#582979 - 02/21/10 08:43 PM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: Todd]
outfishn Offline
Returning Adult

so how was the fishing Seastrike? my cousin, a friend, and I banked it Wed, Thurs, and Fri, didn't touch a thing other than some cutties. We were too cheap to bring the boat but I would definitely like to learn the rivers over there. We hit a really nice looking hole in the upper bogi and found some other new holes on the duc but I wish we brought the boat. the ho was too colored up.

#582985 - 02/21/10 09:00 PM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: seastrike]
Old Guide Offline
Parr

Now you've really got the bug! Fishing isn't the only fun when you own a drift boat. A spring float down the Wynoochee on a warm day during closed fishing season is almost as good as fishing.

I'm on my 9th drift boat since 1970 (yeah, I'm gettin' up there) and have stretched my limits as an oarsman on the Middle Fork, Main and Lower Salmon River, the Owyhee, Deschutes, etc., but have never done the Sol Duc. So there are still frontiers for me. I love to row my boat. Was on the Satsop on Thursday.

#583159 - 02/22/10 11:40 AM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: Old Guide]
Hatch Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa
Dave-
It was nice meeting and chatting with you and your son Brent. Todd hit the nail on the head, the first time will defintely get your blood pumping. Once you see the path and figure out how to set up early, it's not that bad. Like any water though it all deserves a healthy dose of respect. Glad that I could help you through the first time, when you figure out hells half mile I'll follow you down...

#583163 - 02/22/10 11:50 AM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: Hatch]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
When you figure out a few of the other nastier rapids on that river, you'll go down Shuwah backwards with a beer in your hand, while your buddy fishes through it while talking on his cell phone smile

Not that I've ever done that before, of course.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#583164 - 02/22/10 11:50 AM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: Hatch]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Cool stuff.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#583358 - 02/23/10 12:31 AM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Good going, Dave. I did exactly the same thing with Shuwah and walked it to the left the first time. That spot doesn't bother me anymore but there is a lower down that I don't like to talk about. smile Rowing rivers is an addictive thing that I've come to love.

As far as oars, I've got the 9.5' Sawyer MSXG with Dynelite blades and would be happy to let you try them out.

#583378 - 02/23/10 01:33 AM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
KD thanks. I want to try them. Had a long talk with Leland on this last Thursday night while I was in Forks. He said the same and that you loved yours.
Hey I'm fishing on Sunday if you want to do a really long day trip to you...if not let me know your schedule and I'd like to try them out.
I've also got some other dates where we may be in the same place.

#583433 - 02/23/10 11:06 AM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: seastrike]
SKYSTEELHEAD Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Way to go, Seastrike! thumbs
Next time, I'll follow you down the Duc. wink

#583512 - 02/23/10 02:50 PM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

As far as oars, I've got the 9.5' Sawyer MSXG with Dynelite blades and would be happy to let you try them out.

Sounds like the same set up I had in my old Willie;) Loved them oars, just didn't know how durable they'd be.

#583687 - 02/23/10 11:19 PM Re: Kudos to Hatch [Re: wntrrn]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Good stuff!

Thanks, Gents.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |