THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#583369 - 02/23/10 01:06 AM Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not?
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Hey boys, quick question. Steelhead are very tough to feel drift fishing. I am certain I have missed many! I was wondering if I could increase overall catch rate if I switched to braided. I was thinking lite braided, maybe fireline crystal 10lb (diameter of mono 4lb). My thoughts are the lite braided will increase overall sensitivity and hookups while being nearly invisible in the water. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I don't see any downside to running braided for drift fishing. Currently rod is a St. Croix legend Elite 4-8lb. Amazing!!

Please let me know your thoughts!!

#583370 - 02/23/10 01:07 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Ask stam!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#583381 - 02/23/10 01:45 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks! PMed him.

Anyone else want to put in their 2 cents??

#583386 - 02/23/10 02:09 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
use what you like, but i think it sucks for drift fishing and won't use it for that.

just don't bring it to a combat fishery, or fish light enough braid that you're busting that crap off and leaving wads of it in the river.

#583389 - 02/23/10 02:25 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: Chum Man]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

braid is for floats and plugs, stick to mono fer drifting, if you missing steelhead, you might just have way to much slack in your line, there's many things you may or may not be doing, most winter hatchery steelies stop your gear vs. the summer hatchery steelies.

IMO braid is too sensitive for drifting, tried it didn't like it, and most or the time you break them off setting the hook...

#583391 - 02/23/10 02:43 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: Bantam]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
if a guy is thinking about braid as is the case, don't it creates more nightmares than wetdreams.

mono is all that is needed. if you use braid you just look insecure in your bite detection dept.

#583396 - 02/23/10 03:13 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: Brewer]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It'll improve your feel...and you'll feel the 1/4 of the fish you'd hook with mono better...the other 3/4 you won't even hook at all.

Stick with mono. Unless you're full on sidedrifting with the current, you'll be happy you did.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#583404 - 02/23/10 08:22 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: Todd]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Watch where your line enters the water, you will see the line move way before you feel the fish.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#583414 - 02/23/10 09:50 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snoho County
Braid all the way...everyone has their own opinion...but the facts with braid are you will lose less gear which saves time and you can cast further. Just about everyone that fishes on my boat is sold on drift fishing braid after they have spent some time doing it.
425-280-5494

#583421 - 02/23/10 10:25 AM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: Rotten Chum]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Rotten Chum
Braid all the way...everyone has their own opinion...but the facts with braid are you will lose less gear which saves time and you can cast further. Just about everyone that fishes on my boat is sold on drift fishing braid after they have spent some time doing it.

+1

I use the hi-vis.....20#.....have had few problems....BUT, if the weather is freezing, have a backup until it warms up. Ice will form on the line and freeze to the spool.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#583458 - 02/23/10 12:03 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: ]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snoho County
Originally Posted By: stam
I've fished braid on my drift rods for 4 or 5 or 6 years or maybe just a long time now...hard to go back to mono after getting the feel for it, you'll lose (snap off) a few on wild swing hooksets when you start off, the bite will jolt you a bit...I like to equate it to the fish chewing on your finger.
I fish 30lb pp and see no reason to change, 10 lb braid will be waaaaay too light, 30 is as light as you will want to go, leaders need to be 10lb or better, 8 will just cost you fish. I've never used it on a side drifting rod like yours, though I have discussed it with lowedown and I suspect we will give it a shot one of these days, if you are stuck on the bank with that rod....I would recommend a new rod, a bit heavier....8 to 12lb.

+1 Stam...once you get used to braid it really is hard to go back...I've been using lamiglas g1367 4-10 9 foot 6 inch drift rod and never have broken it because of the braid. I love the idea of having a decent chance of side drifting all day and maybe...just maybe loosing one swivel and lead. Plus when my line gets close to logs, rocks, boat chines, etc. I don't worry near as much as I used too.
425-280-5494

#583459 - 02/23/10 12:05 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Good idea!! Always looking to find new ways to see or feel the fish.

#583460 - 02/23/10 12:05 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

#583462 - 02/23/10 12:12 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
When set up properly the only left in the river is a leader........

#583464 - 02/23/10 12:21 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I just bellow when I get hung up in some newb's wad of braid.
A good canyon bellow.

#583469 - 02/23/10 12:29 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: N W Panhandler
When set up properly the only left in the river is a leader........

+1

Edited by The Closer (02/23/10 12:31 PM)

#583470 - 02/23/10 12:29 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Braid all the way. I can't even figure out why not and everytime I hear someone argue it the other way. The only downside I've found is that it is probably not as abrasion resistant if you hang up and the braid is right against a sharpish rock.

Bantam says it is "too sensitive"?
Brewer says it "makes you look insecure"?

I make up for those by using the worst rod I can buy and showing up in my Corvette.

#583473 - 02/23/10 12:34 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
Braid all the way. I can't even figure out why not and everytime I hear someone argue it the other way. The only downside I've found is that it is probably not as abrasion resistant if you hang up and the braid is right against a sharpish rock.

Bantam says it is "too sensitive"?
Brewer says it "makes you look insecure"?

rofl

Ok I'm sold! I've bass fished all my life and braid makes a huge difference, especially in deep water! Combat fishing the cowlitz with a 100yds of mono makes it tough to feel the bite IMO.

#583484 - 02/23/10 01:11 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: The Closer]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The diameter of monofilament is not a problem, it's part of the solution...driftfishing isn't the current pushing your lure downstream dragging the line and weight behind it, it's the current pushing your line downstream, dragging your lure and weight behind it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#583491 - 02/23/10 01:26 PM Re: Braided for drift fishing----- Why or why not? [Re: Todd]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
great comments here.

i just don't get how guys can miss bites and think that braid is the answer.

even light bites are obvious with mono.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 337 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |