Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#635039 - 11/12/10 09:29 PM Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery
Eagle Spirit Offline
Juvenile at Sea

This may be common sense to most of you that have followed this topic for years, but I was trying to understand something.

Why should the natives and commercials get such a large share of hatchery fish? Ok, maybe I could understand them getting such a share of the native fish, I said maybe. But why should they be entitled to such a large portion of the hatchery fish?

Lets take the hatchery fish reared in state hatcheries and at the tax payers expense. Why should the natives and the commercials not have to cover the total cost of rearing thier percentage of hatchery fish?

Seems to me the hatchery fish should not fall under any decisions except of those of the state or taxpayers. Maybe if the division covered in certain decisions only covered native fish maybe that resource would be respected and cared for in a different manner.

Hope I asked this in the right way.

#635044 - 11/12/10 09:45 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: Eagle Spirit]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
In a perfect world hatchery fish is all the higher powers want anybody to catch.

There's a sucker born every minute

#635046 - 11/12/10 09:56 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: SBD]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The Boldt Decision specifically includes hatchery fish in the 50/50 split.

We wouldn't need hatcheries if we (non-tribals) hadn't overwhelmingly destroyed the habitat and river systems, and the fish runs that live(d) in them.

fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#635066 - 11/13/10 12:12 AM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: Todd]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Here's a thought. Is there any data, opinions, wild guesses as to how much fish was caught, eaten, or preserved (in days before we killers of the resource destroyed everything) by the native tribes? I'm just curious because if the tribes are catching and using more fish today (quantity wise) than when the treaty was written, how could 50% be a realistic figure? (Please don't go to the "because it says so" excuse.) Since refrigeration wasn't possible, salting and drying was the only way to keep fish for any length of time, as far as I know. I know fish was traded amongst tribes, but again, how much? It doesn't seem very likely to me (and I certainly may be wrong) that the quantity could be anywhere near what it is today. Am I wrong?

#635068 - 11/13/10 12:35 AM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: ParaLeaks]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boldt_Decision

Kind of explains it all. But it's also been expanded to all fish/shellfish in the CR Tribe's UA fishing area's which I've been told could expand as far south as Cascade Head.

#635069 - 11/13/10 12:38 AM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: SBD]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I'd be very surprised to find anything other than the fact that the natives in the PNW took a helluva lot more salmon and steelhead than they catch now.

Fish on...

Todd

#635075 - 11/13/10 12:53 AM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I don't know it as a fact, I'd just be very surprised if it were not...the number of natives around here was much, much greater than it is now, every piece of running water was stuffed with salmon, and everyone caught, ate, sold, potlached, smoked...whatever...salmon and/or steelhead virtually year 'round.

There are far few natives or fish now, not even comparable...

Fish on...

Todd

#635128 - 11/13/10 02:42 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: Todd]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
There is good evidence that in the Columbia Basin before the arrival of The European diseases the native people were very efficient at harvesting salmon. Estimates are that 25% of all salmon passing the Dalles fishing sites were harvested. In the upper basin there were fisheries on every major and minor tributary, as far as present day Montana and Nevada. It is difficult to know what salmon run numbers were then and they were variable,maybe more so then than now because of the dams. The peak runs were probably in the 1860's after the number of native people were reduced to low numbers by disease. Commercial harvest at the mouth of the river reduced the numbers to values as low or lower than they are now even before the dams.

#635131 - 11/13/10 02:57 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: WN1A]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
This article supports what you say.

Seems there was a significant harvest going on, for sure. Much more so that I thought.

#635136 - 11/13/10 03:21 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: WN1A]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Good point 1a. Everyone screams Dam's but do the numbers pre Grand Coulee and after. The purpose of the hatcheries was to mitigate the loss of the natural spawners to harvest. Period.

That they do and the Dam's have not significantly reduced the numbers of fish available to catch. Now that many place a priority on saving remnant populations of naturally spawning salmonids that may or may not be native, that is a new wrinkle. One wrinkle that we have not come to grips with either politically, financially, or culturally.

The Falls thing. If a tribe ever got screwed in triplicate it was this. The Yaks gave up the rez that was almost a third of the state. Got somethings and the right to fish the falls forever, then we buried it under water. People wonder why the tribes have the attitude they do?

Edited by Rivrguy (11/13/10 03:25 PM)

#635139 - 11/13/10 03:34 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: Rivrguy]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Yeah then the BPA gave them each a house for burying Celio that was about as well constructed as a Fema Trailer.

#635145 - 11/13/10 04:23 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: SBD]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1761

Swiped this from the other board, Tribes never would have come up with an idea as destructive as this was..Man we were good at flocking up the rivers.

#635150 - 11/13/10 04:37 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: Rivrguy]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

Good point 1a. Everyone screams Dam's but do the numbers pre Grand Coulee and after. The purpose of the hatcheries was to mitigate the loss of the natural spawners to harvest. Period.

but, with habitat destruction going on you cant harvest something that isnt there to harvest can you ?, i think it`s pretty clear that we dont have huge salmon runs on the columbia because we dont have the habitat to support them.

#635342 - 11/14/10 09:08 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: boater]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
There are some estimates, made at the time, about the number of fish Indians took. I have seen estimates for Lummi and for California.

Need to remember that Indian numbers were way down by the time Europeans arrived and looked at fish numbers. Smallpox and some other diseases got to many of the tribal areas before Europeans.

So, the "take" by the Indians, when it was first counted, was lower than manybe a century earlier as there were less of them around. Conversely, the number of fish may have been higher.

#635345 - 11/14/10 09:35 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: boater]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Boat, pre GC the east side of both Wa & OR was wilderness ( or they called it that ) Idaho ag was around as was timber but it was a drop it the bucket. It was FDR and the Rural Electrification Plan & irrigation with water and power from GC they made the habitat changes dramatic. After GC but prior? Sure habitat was impacted as you can't go from a natural environment to and modern agriculture / industrial with out that happening.

The major impact was harvest and not just the Columbia Basin but the Willapa & Grays Harbor also. Even logging did not knock streams out as it was slow moving took a hundred years to work up a watershed. Modern urban cities with sprawling suburbs, massive population growth and tree farms have done and continue to do more damage than the pioneers ever could. Not that they lacked the desire mind you, just did not have the technology to pave and flatten everything natural.

#635357 - 11/14/10 10:12 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Not many on here can remember "Celio Falls".....I remember the tribe using long handle nets to dip the salmon.

Wow, how time seem to fly......the late 50's saw an end to a way of life!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#635360 - 11/14/10 10:16 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: DrifterWA]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
All the falls in SW WA tribs have remnants of indian artifacts...

Pretty cool when you come across an area that has chippings knowing 200-2000 years prior there were humans there fishing in quite the different fashion...

Keith

#635363 - 11/14/10 10:20 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Then get rid of harvest. Lacking that deal with it as it is what it is.

#635371 - 11/14/10 10:46 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: salmosalar

Imagine the short and long term without hatcheries. Just one time, with an open mind, think of the fish first.

we would not be salmon fishing on the columbia.

#635376 - 11/14/10 10:57 PM Re: Quotas?, wild vs. hatchery [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Hatcheries...and hatchery fish...are just like selective fishing...they're tools, and when the tool is appropriate for the job, you use it...when it's not, it's not.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, Krijack), 455 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |