Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#752128 - 04/05/12 02:15 PM State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
saw this the other day and thought someone would have jumped on this. anyways here's the link.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/mar/21/state-mulls-two-rods-salmon-fishing/

why the paper used a blue creek pic not sure. i took many a brat back the good ole days.

#752130 - 04/05/12 02:30 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: Brewer]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Two rods at Blue Creek? Hmmm.

Cast... tuck rod one under arm... cast rod two... switch.... reel slack from rod one... bassmasters hookset at the end of each drift... repeat.

The guys standing above and below you would love that and maybe just to mix it up,you could make one a float rod.

smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#752131 - 04/05/12 02:42 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: JTD]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
not sure if this just attempt to lure in more license sales.

just seems very odd.

#752190 - 04/05/12 07:51 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: Brewer]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: sw wa
Its a way for them to make more money, youl have to pay extra for the 2 pole endorsement just like last year for lakes

Team shimano snapper, "dude weres my bobber?", jaw dropper jigs, deathboat comandos

#752195 - 04/05/12 08:06 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: westcoastpinhead]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Done deal for Willapa Bay.... marine area boat fishery with 2 rods per angler! YEE HAW!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#752225 - 04/05/12 10:20 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: eyeFISH]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Art! Better fire up the injectors!!

#752227 - 04/05/12 10:26 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: ParaLeaks]
steeliebill Offline
Parr

Loc: on the lewis
Dude that rocks

#752237 - 04/05/12 11:13 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: steeliebill]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Money. And when the states really broke, it'll be three....with fewer fish.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#752269 - 04/06/12 10:29 AM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: Magicfly]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Advocate of 2 rods for 10+ years, just my misfortune to live in Region 6.

It has been stated many times that "the sports fleet just doesn't have the capability to catch a big enough share of the returning hatchery salmon" so the commercial/cowboys get more time to gillnet.

The Chehalis River would be a prime area to allow a 2nd rod, hatchery fish need to be taken, miles of river with limited bank access....fishing out of a boat would allow a 2nd rod to be used....alot of the fishing is "setting on hook" so the 2nd rod would allow a 2nd color of lure to be used......duh, what am I missing here.......State need money, many sportmen would purchase the right for the 2nd rod, hatchery fish to be taken....why with the move to 2nd rods in other areas in the Chehalis system left out???????

I'm glad that Willapa will be allow the 2nd rod....I mean why should the gillnetters be allow to catch 80+ % of the returning hatchery fish??????????

Edited by DrifterWA (04/06/12 10:30 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#752299 - 04/06/12 01:12 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: DrifterWA]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Its about time. I never understood why this state removed the old two rod rule (before my time here). Who really cares about the number of rods used...its the bag limit that counts. If I can catch two fish in ten minutes on two rods as oppposed to two fish in twenty on one rod - what is the difference besides burning more fuel? The savings could pay for itself while getting the state their additional cut. I can see it becoming a problem in bank combat fisheries, but what about the wide open areas? It would be great to have a plunking rod out while float fishing...

The only lame part is that it's restricted to the south and doesn't cover MA areas (maybe I'm wrong here)? It doesn't make much sense on rivers unless sitting on the hook - but what about trolling? I would kill for the opp to fish two rods in MA9, 10 etc. Maybe that's where its headed with a successful southern test???

#752386 - 04/06/12 07:18 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: NickD90]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
.....and then the issue becomes the encounter rate....how many more "wild" salmon will be hooked and what increases will be effected in the hooking mortality on "wild" fish. The state would probaby have to expand its monitoring effort to measure the impacts which means more money needed and the circle keeps growing......

#752391 - 04/06/12 08:05 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: NickD90]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Sounds good to me as I like to fish alone in my little boat. I see a major cluster$%^k trying to run 14 out of Docs rig. Outriggers, planner boards kites and mini blimps i guess.

#752397 - 04/06/12 08:40 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: Achewter]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I'm thinking of firing up an RC boat to run alongside with my extra rod. smile

#752411 - 04/06/12 10:50 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: bushbear]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: bushbear
.....and then the issue becomes the encounter rate....how many more "wild" salmon will be hooked and what increases will be effected in the hooking mortality on "wild" fish. The state would probaby have to expand its monitoring effort to measure the impacts which means more money needed and the circle keeps growing......

Sure doesn't seem to be a major problem when they allow the amount of gillnets in Region 6....

Major run of hatchery fish......but tie the hands of "sports"...... hell we already fish barbless....I'll still get my fish, retired and can fish all the time.....poor weekend guys.

Much as I could care less about a Chinook.....might have to take the new last summer toy and join the "before the nets, fleet".......Who's got extra of "those things I have to plug cut"?????? Is that the right term?????? Might have to go thur my 100 banana weights, and get some of the "flasher things".............ohhhhhhhh my word, thought my trolling days were 20 years behind me......

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#753070 - 04/11/12 02:06 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: DrifterWA]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Originally Posted By: bushbear

Sure doesn't seem to be a major problem when they allow the amount of gillnets in Region 6....

Major run of hatchery fish......but tie the hands of "sports"...... hell we already fish barbless....I'll still get my fish, retired and can fish all the time.....poor weekend guys.

Much as I could care less about a Chinook.....might have to take the new last summer toy and join the "before the nets, fleet".......Who's got extra of "those things I have to plug cut"?????? Is that the right term?????? Might have to go thur my 100 banana weights, and get some of the "flasher things".............ohhhhhhhh my word, thought my trolling days were 20 years behind me......

The main goal is to get the hatchery fish off the gravel, that being said, up the amount of retention for the vile brats.

Although the 2 pole rule would help my confidence escelate 2 fold as I fish alone quite a bit (which I do alot cause my buddies have to work)!!! Being retired, having the time to fish has it's perks but I love eating fish.... & 1 pole ain't cuttin it....

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#753090 - 04/11/12 03:10 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: JTD]
OnTheDrop Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Western WA
Originally Posted By: JTD

Two rods at Blue Creek? Hmmm.

Cast... tuck rod one under arm... cast rod two... switch.... reel slack from rod one... bassmasters hookset at the end of each drift... repeat.

The guys standing above and below you would love that and maybe just to mix it up,you could make one a float rod.

smile

lol, just need to learn how to cast two baitcasters at the same time. One short cast & one long.

#757790 - 05/05/12 03:21 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: OnTheDrop]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

How will the 2-rod endorsement apply to non-licensed under-aged anglers?

Can LMWS and her friends deploy 2 rods without the endorsement?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#757794 - 05/05/12 05:19 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: eyeFISH]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Good idea! Way to go WDFW!

#757823 - 05/05/12 09:15 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: Dave Vedder]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

The 2 pole endorsement does nothing to increase the amount of fish harvested.

You are still bound by the angler catch limit.

As far as wild fish encounters go, the theory is that, with 2 rods out, the angler will have the opportunity to catch their limit quicker and thus reducing time on the water and in turn, the number of encounters with wild fish.

We will have to see how that theory plays out.

#757826 - 05/05/12 10:19 PM Re: State mulling 2 rods per salmon angler [Re: ]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Big Daddy -
How often in say Puget Sound does the average salmon angler catch the "limit"?

Many would consider a 1/2 a Chinook a boat to be "hot" fishing.

In terms of encounter rates typical the simplest way to look at that issue is to look at the ratio of wild fish to hatchery fish. I can not think of a single case were two rods would reduce the encounters with wild fish. I suppose that in a fishery where limit catches were the norm that going to two rods would be a push. However in any fishery where the typcial catch is less than limits than fishign with two rods attempting to catch that "limit" will have to increase wild fish impacts - just as simple as having more gear in the water.

Tight lines
Curt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |