Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#786841 - 09/18/12 11:40 PM Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

#786866 - 09/19/12 12:33 AM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: SeaDNA]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Search for the culprit
“King salmon is Alaska's state fish, but the species thrives from the Bering Strait to as far south as Ventura River, California.
California saw healthy king returns this summer, leading some researchers to cite a cyclical change in ocean temperatures known as Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) as a possible culprit.

Unfortunately for the salmon fishermen, PDO can last up to three decades.

According to one theory, PDO has reduced king salmon's food supply in oceans off Alaska, while at the same time replenishing stocks in California, Oregon and Washington.”

Wouldn’t that be a twist of fate.

We catching Alaskan salmon feeding in our area instead of Alaskan and BC catching our salmon feeding in their area.

Thirty years would be just a crying shame. laugh

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#786894 - 09/19/12 01:09 AM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: Lucky Louie]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
If you look at the PDO data and scale samples taken from AK lakes, you'll see a correlation in population sizes over the 25/30 cycle. Good fishing in AK reflects no so good in lower 48 and vice versa.

Looks like we might be entering some good years. See links below:

http://jisao.washington.edu/pdo/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_decadal_oscillation

http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/research/divisions/fed/oeip/ca-pdo.cfm

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~mantua/REPORTS/PDO/PDO_egec.htm

Edited by bushbear (09/19/12 01:14 AM)

#786902 - 09/19/12 01:36 AM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: bushbear]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
I still think it is mainly a harvest problem.

The commercial guys just got bailed out by the Fed. Seems strange to me that the user group likely most responsible for the decline, gets financial help from the govt for a lack of the resource they (we) depleted.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#786934 - 09/19/12 10:14 AM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: ColeyG]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The PDO will affect overall abundance. The number of fish on the spawning grounds is determined by the managers.

If it was a high priority to ensure that the subsistence users had their needs met first, then it would happen. Since that is not a high priority, it won't happen. There's no money or votes in making sure they get their fish.

#786965 - 09/19/12 11:37 AM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: Carcassman]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Coley -
If indeed marine survivals are declining harvest is an issue. Declining marine survival means lower productivity of the stocks which equates to them being able to support less fishing. However even when harvest levels are adjusted the stock productivity will not change (lots of evidence of that here in the lower 48).

In other words while harvest is a short term problem it is not the underlying issue. If indeed we are looking at a PDO shift expect less fishing/harvest in Alaska.

Of course the flip side of that coin is that us here in Washington may be entering a period of more productive stocks - see comments on the Lake Washington coho thread.

CM -
The potentially good news is that if enter a period of more productive stocks keeping harvest rates at the same level (or even some minor increases) will automatically result in more fish on the spawning grounds.

Curt

#786971 - 09/19/12 12:02 PM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: Smalma]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

HARVEST ALWAYS MATTERS!

MSY be dammed, there is never any point in allowing exploitation rates to EVER exceed 50%.

That is just human greed, pure and simple, and MSY is just a way to justify it.

Personally I'd like to see all fished populations managed for no greater than 33% exploitation of total adult production. One for man... two for the gravel.

Forever and ever amen.

Sustainable

PERIOD

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#786984 - 09/19/12 12:41 PM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: eyeFISH]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
FishDoc - You mean well, but an exploitation rate of 33% is enormous. And too simplistic.

There are some stocks in the Columbia where the exploitation rate is 2% (e.g., Upper Columbia springers). That is, of the UC springer adults entering the Columbia River, only 2% can be taken in the fishery (Tribal, commerical and recreation combined). In fact, the only Columbia River stock that I'm aware of that can withstand a harvest rate of 33% is hatchery tule fall Chinook.

I agree that we MUST harvest at a rate that is sustainable (which is the point of your post), but basing it on a single number is too simplistic.

#786990 - 09/19/12 01:16 PM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: cohoangler]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

The total exploitation rate must include the ocean harvest, not just the in river terminal fishery harvest. I'm guessing that the numbers on springers are a lot worse than 2% if we include the harvest prior to the entering our rivers.

#786992 - 09/19/12 01:19 PM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: cohoangler]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I was referring to healthy fishable populations of salmon.

For the record... ESA-listed Upriver CR spring chinook are fished at a 15% exploitation rate... non-treaty share of that is 2%.

Note that I used the words "no greater than" and "NOT to exceed"... less is fine by me.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#787004 - 09/19/12 01:56 PM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: eyeFISH]
fshwithnoeyes Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lewis Co via Bham
Sorry AK, its our turn...

#787010 - 09/19/12 02:17 PM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: fshwithnoeyes]
tommyhydro Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: evergreen state
awesome

#787013 - 09/19/12 02:31 PM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: tommyhydro]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Most "healthy" populations are exploited at rates of 60-80%.

The problem is that lots of unhealthy ones continue to be exploited at those same rates.

A chinook population w/ half ass decent habitat can be expected to produce 3 pre-harvest adult recruits per spawner. Right now, we take 2 leaving 1 for the gravel. That's EXACTLY how it works for the Queets, the index population for WA Coastal chinook in the Pacific Salmon Commission database.

Imagine what it would be like if we turned that around.... taking only 1 and leaving 2 for the gravel.

Dreamin.....

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#787120 - 09/19/12 09:23 PM Re: Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon [Re: eyeFISH]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

like compound interest. They keep stealing the principle.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1436 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |