THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#867713 - 11/07/13 07:39 PM Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style....
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

(3) Recovery boxes and soak times:

(a) For Areas 2A and 2D, soak time must not exceed 45 minutes. Soak time is defined as the time elapsed from when the first of the gillnet web is deployed into the water until the gillnet web is fully retrieved from the water.

(b) Any steelhead or salmon that is required to be released and is bleeding or lethargic must be placed in a recovery box prior to being released to the river/bay. The recovery box must meet the requirements in (d) of this subsection.

(c) All fish placed in recovery boxes must be released to the river/bay prior to landing or docking.

(d) Each boat must have two operable recovery boxes or one box with two chambers on board when fishing Areas 2A and 2D. Each box must be operating during any time the net is being retrieved or picked. The flow in the recovery box must be a minimum of 16 gallons per minute in each chamber of the box, not to exceed 20 gallons per minute. Each chamber of the recovery box must meet the following dimensions as measured from within the box: The inside length measurement must be at or within 39-1/2 inches to 48 inches, the inside width measurements must be at or within 8 to 10 inches, and the inside height measurement must be at or within 14 to 16 inches. Each chamber of the recovery box must include a water inlet hole between 3/4 inch and 1 inch in diameter, centered horizontally across the door or wall of the chamber and 1-3/4 inches from the floor of the chamber. Each chamber of the recovery box must include a water outlet hole opposite the inflow that is at least 1-1/2 inches in diameter. The center of the outlet hole must be located a minimum of 12 inches above the floor of the box or chamber. The fisher must demonstrate to department employees, fish and wildlife enforcement officers, or other peace officers, upon request, that the pumping system is delivering the proper volume of fresh river/bay water into each chamber.

So how does it go in actual on-the-water practice?

Few if any of the non-target fish are placed in the revival boxes. As has been so aptly demonstrated on the FishingTheChehalis.net website videos, it's far easier and more convenient to just fling them overboard so as to get back to the real task at hand.... filling those totes!

Who has time for revival?

Not this guy....

Not only was his revival box NOT turned on (no outflow is evident in the pic) but it was filled with sticks and pop cans and other rubbish. Good to see enforcement took notice.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#867748 - 11/07/13 09:54 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
Hope they learn to play by the rules soon...

#867850 - 11/08/13 12:47 AM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: eugene1]
big john Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: washington state
This evening Tim Hamilton delivered a great presentation about the “FishingTheChehalis” issues and recent history at the South Sound Puget Sound Anglers. He spoke with passion, as usual, and the audience was attentive. Lack of the “required” use of recovery boxes was one of many topics he discussed. The club had to vacate their meeting room by 9 PM, so unfortunately Q&A time was limited.

#867876 - 11/08/13 03:05 AM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: big john]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
Hope they yank license for that disregard for the fish and the regulations!!!

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#867879 - 11/08/13 03:37 AM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: Misguided]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Saw the gillnetters getting ready to lunch this afternoon.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#867881 - 11/08/13 09:20 AM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: Dogfish]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

yes they got 48hrs...than out for 24hrs then back for another 48hrs

mainly region 6

#867895 - 11/08/13 11:50 AM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: steely slammer]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

They are out in force today.

#867897 - 11/08/13 11:50 AM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: steely slammer]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

They are out in force today.

#867947 - 11/08/13 03:18 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: Dogfish]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Glad to see some enforcement out and about.Booo on the soak today.Good luck,
SZ

#867951 - 11/08/13 03:27 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: Dogfish]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
This is bewildering. Presumably, buying and installing the revival box cost this guy time and money. As such, it would seem trivial for him to then USE IT. Anyone with a pair of field glasses can easily see whether it's being used or not. Or whether it's even operational, which this one clearly is not. It's one thing to disregard the law, but it's another to make it so obvious.

Maybe I'm giving these guys too much intellectual credit.

Not that it really matters, but it is unfortunate they appear to have a youngster on board (in front with the blue PFD). This is clearly not the example that any commercial fishmen wants to set for any youngster. Another reason to be disappointed in the behavior.

#867952 - 11/08/13 03:28 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: cohoangler]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

There is no requirement to actually use the revival box.

#867959 - 11/08/13 03:42 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: wsu]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Fish Doc post indicates:

"Any steelhead or salmon that is required to be released and is bleeding or lethargic must be placed in a recovery box prior to being released to the river/bay."

Not sure how to interpret this, but the intent seems clear. The purpose of the revival box is to revive fish that need to be released. Now, if the revival box has no water in it, placing a fish in said box fails to achieve it's intended purpose. Which gets back to my original point - Why have it if you're not going to use it as it intended?

#867973 - 11/08/13 04:11 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: wsu]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: wsu
There is no requirement to actually use the revival box.

Correct.... if the fish is deemed to be neither lethargic or bleeding, there is no requirement for it to go in the box.

Totally up to the operator's discretion.

Dealing with unretainable bycatch is an impediment/nuisance that interferes with the task at hand.... filling the holds. Much easier to just heave the "worthless" fish overboard and get on with the business of picking your money fish.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#867978 - 11/08/13 04:16 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The only way...one, single, only way...to stop this stuff is to get non tribal commercial fishers out of our inland waters completely. Otherwise there will be overharvest and dead "live released" fish, recovery boxes or not.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#867979 - 11/08/13 04:17 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: eyeFISH]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quicksilver doesn't give a f.....

#867992 - 11/08/13 05:30 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: RB3]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The problem with any "selective" entanglement fishery for fall salmon, wherever it has been employed by WDFW, is that the ability of participants to revive lethargic salmon is simply overwhelmed by the sheer volume of encounters with non-target bycatch.

During the heart of the fishery, there is simply NOT enough time nor capacity to revive the fish that must be released.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#868020 - 11/08/13 08:59 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

The lunacy of this is not that the mortality might be what they actually say ~20% of the released wild fish die, but that they will encounter multiple nets per night. Even if the mortality is not additive, its still going to wipe out most of the non-target fish passing through during the netting.

#868031 - 11/08/13 09:42 PM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: Geoduck]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Indeed!

Better write this down…. Geoduck and I agree!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#868113 - 11/09/13 06:43 AM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Fishyfeller Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
The fleet should be required to have a 2nd transport boat that collects the recovering fish and take them up river to be released above the nets.

Sounds like a win -win idea to me. They don't have to keep removing undesirable fish and hopefully they keep swimming up river when released above
the nets.

Edited by Fishyfeller (11/09/13 06:46 AM)

#868116 - 11/09/13 09:22 AM Re: Selective gillnetting Grays Harbor style.... [Re: Fishyfeller]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
Truely sad, they know the impact yet allow the practice to continue! Amazing.
Ban all nets in any harbor or estuary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (darth baiter), 391 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |