LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#912619 - 11/07/14 04:08 PM Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers?
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Will Getting Some Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? Yakama Nation Project Looks For Answers

The Northwest Power and Conservation Council gave its conditional approval for the continuation of funding for a Yakama Nation project aimed at determining whether beleaguered upper Columbia steelhead populations can get a reproductive boost through the “reconditioning” of fish with an urge to spawn a second time.

Unlike salmon species that spawn once and die, steelhead in relatively small numbers have been known to spawn, head downriver from Columbia River tributaries and then at points relatively unknown turn around and head upstream on a second spawning mission.

Because of their physically depleted condition, few complete that mission. In a response to a question Tuesday from the Council, the Yakama Nation’s Matt Abrahamse said that probably fewer than 1 percent of the steelhead that spawn in streams such as central Washington’s Methow River successfully make the loop to spawn a second time. Abrahamse is project lead for the Yakama Nation.

The goal of the Yakama Nation steelhead “kelt” .... http://www.cbbulletin.com/432586.aspx

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#912625 - 11/07/14 04:29 PM Re: Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? [Re: Phoenix77]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
Some tribes should consider letting wild Steelhead spawn the first time.

#912635 - 11/07/14 05:11 PM Re: Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? [Re: ondarvr]
Salmonographer Offline
Egg

Loc: Alaska
An older and presumably larger female should also have more eggs than her first spawning so it is a worthy goal having steelhead spawn more than once.

#912639 - 11/07/14 06:09 PM Re: Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? [Re: ]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

But if they spawn, how do you sell them?

#912645 - 11/07/14 08:04 PM Re: Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? [Re: RB3]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Where there are log enough complete data sets (spawner counts and age of all fish) the R/S for winter steelhead spawning for the first time is consistently less than 1.0 . Consequently, repeat spawners are required for a self sustaining population.

Some of the Kamchatka and Alaska populations have 50-90% repeats.

#912815 - 11/10/14 09:03 AM Re: Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? [Re: Salmonographer]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Originally Posted By: Salmonographer
An older and presumably larger female should also have more eggs than her first spawning so it is a worthy goal having steelhead spawn more than once.

I believe they are actually smaller on their second spawning. They don't recover as much as they lost in the first spawning.

This is really interesting based on some PIT data I saw last week. I thought a kelt would spend at least a year in the salt before turning back. The fish I saw would go down and turn right back up. There may be something in preventing them from falling over 9 dams just to cross them again.

#912823 - 11/10/14 11:59 AM Re: Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? [Re: Swifty27]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The data I have seen in the past shows that the steelhead are roughly the same size the second time around...definitely not bigger, it takes a lot out of them to spawn, and a getting that back is all they can do.

They do, however, produce about 20% more eggs than they did the first time around, even though they are the same size.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#912826 - 11/10/14 12:38 PM Re: Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? [Re: Todd]
Salmonographer Offline
Egg

Loc: Alaska
Interesting. This means they are allocating all their net energy gained to swimming, maintenance and gonads and none to body growth.

On the other hand these studies (on hatchery origin fish) suggested that Steelhead kelts can grow-

www.tunaresearch.org/reprints/teo_2011_environ_biol_fish.pdf

https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/pdf_files/Null%20et%20al%202012.pdf

Edited by Salmonographer (11/10/14 01:57 PM)
Edit Reason: added content

#912963 - 11/11/14 05:21 PM Re: Steelhead To Spawn Twice Improve Numbers? [Re: Salmonographer]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Winter steelhead appear to spawn every year (generally-there are always the exceptions). Summer runs take a year off. It is interesting that this, because of scale resorption, does not show on the scale. It must be inferred. This was figured out, at least here in WA, on the Kalama where some of the early summer repeats were there, and in great shape, while the rest were spawning. Figured it was kinda hard to spawn, go downstream, recover all the physical conditioning, and be back in a few weeks. I think that tagging confirmed it because they also found out that the repeats came back to the trap at essentially the same time they had on the first return. This also seems to apply to winters.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1468 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |