Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#974335 - 03/06/17 08:34 AM Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Made it out to a river I know well this weekend to fish by myself dark to dark. Conditions were perfect. Visibility was 3-4', river had been dropping from high from high for days. I was shocked by how few fishermen were out; it was a ghost town unlike I've seen in years.

I fished very hard and with many different presentations in areas I've caught dozens of steelhead, and never got a bite. Never even a mysterious float down or tap on a drift. I've been fishing these areas for 12 years and they have been good to me. I fished known spots because I wanted to up my chances at finally tailing a fish this year of my own but it didn't happen.

I'm starting to worry this is a really down year for steelhead numbers in the PNW. Some fisheries started out hot but have now slowed to a crawl. It may be cold weather making fish lethargic or late too.

What do you guys think? Bad year for returns or typical?

Moisture level: Dry 1/10; snail slow day, scary low numbers for this time of year; depressing.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#974357 - 03/06/17 12:36 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Happy Birthday The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I think the numbers will be down this year on some systems. Some will be "normal". Just depends on where you fish, what you are fishing for (brats vs wild) and if you can time the freshets, spurts of fish, etc.

I'm proposing a hook ban next year, as that is what is needed to save our steelhead.

#974358 - 03/06/17 12:44 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I've heard a lot of accounts of slow fishing, but I've talked to a couple people who have done really well. My experience has been very much the former on the few times I've ventured out.

Warmer water should help the fly game, but that's going to be a while longer coming. Also a lot of rain in the 10-day forecast. That may speed the warming, but it won't help the water levels. Hoping late March brings some real spring weather our way. I'm ready for that.

#974359 - 03/06/17 12:46 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

I've been pretty happy with the return on my effort so far.

#974368 - 03/06/17 01:36 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk

Is that 0 fish for 0 days?

Just to be clear and biotch out, I haven't fly fished winter steelhead in 3 years and that's one day in almost 5 years (and I got one!). I quit when all my quiet spots were over run with dudes wearing and fishing brand new gear that said they had been fishing there "for years" yet could barely cast. I'm disgusted with fly fishing for steelhead these days. Most of these new fly fishermen don't know what they don't know so it's hard to hear them talk most of the time. I see guys filming who can barely cast.

All moist waders reports are anything but fly fishing unless explicitly stated.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#974372 - 03/06/17 02:02 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezuz

No. Effort has been pretty high considering I work overtime every week.

Fished a dozen+ days since Jan. 1, mostly full day efforts with a few half days thrown in for clam digging and other less fun things. Finding fish most days. Landing a fish about 3/4 of the time and usually having another fish or two on the line each day. Only a couplefew days where I don't think a steelhead so much as looked at my gear.

Fish quality has been quite high, which more than makes up for the slow days. Fished high water and low water. Weather has been about 50/50 clear skies and gray skies. Bitching and moaning about lack of fish, moist waders, fly fisherman or their outfits has been at a constant zero every single day.

#974377 - 03/06/17 02:40 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Bobber Downey Jr. Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, wa
lay off the bananas

#974386 - 03/06/17 03:46 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Baby steps Beezy. You stayed dry and that's a good first baby step in the right direction. We are proud of you!

At least someone is getting out there and wetting a line. I can't remember the last time I fished. It's gotten so bad, my boss asked me today when was the last time I made it out to the river. I told him it was all his fault. He laughed and then gave me more work. Booo....

#974395 - 03/06/17 04:51 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Bitching and moaning about lack of fish, moist waders, fly fisherman or their outfits has been at a constant zero every single day.

That sounds good. I clearly need to catch a fish really really bad...

And lose the bananas...

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#974399 - 03/06/17 06:30 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Jason Beezuz

Just to be clear and biotch out, I haven't fly fished winter steelhead in 3 years and that's one day in almost 5 years (and I got one!). I quit when all my quiet spots were over run with dudes wearing and fishing brand new gear that said they had been fishing there "for years" yet could barely cast. I'm disgusted with fly fishing for steelhead these days. Most of these new fly fishermen don't know what they don't know so it's hard to hear them talk most of the time. I see guys filming who can barely cast.

All moist waders reports are anything but fly fishing unless explicitly stated.

lol

Didn't see this coming.

Oh wait................yes I did.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#974409 - 03/06/17 08:58 PM Re: Moist Waders Fishing Report 3/6/17 [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

He's two for two on Twinkies.

- Albert Einstein.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (No More Ice Fishin, Excitable Bob, 20 Gage), 1336 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |