Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#980165 - 09/28/17 06:37 PM submitting crab catch record cards for kids
Piper
Unregistered

last year all I needed was the name, wild ID and Doc# to submit a card, this year it is asking me for a user name and password which I was able to set up for myself and submit my card this year, but it will not let me submit my son's cards without setting them up with their own login credentials...

am I missing something or do I now need to create emails and usernames on their behalf?

#980167 - 09/28/17 07:36 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
PITA!

They've made it more difficult for us......guess the answer is to simply send it to them and let them deal with it.

Downside to mail is that there is no confirmation to prove that you actually submitted it.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#980173 - 09/28/17 08:09 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

on the bright side I only punched 2 crab on my card, the rest were on the kids cards that wont get reported...

is there a 10$ fee on free unreported juvenile cards next year?

#980174 - 09/28/17 08:10 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Might cost some but you can send it through USPS with various kinds of tracking up to signature required. Send it to the Crab Manager that way and point out the idiocy of the system as it stands.

#980176 - 09/28/17 08:29 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

stuff like this makes me wonder if anyone at the WDFW actually participates or even has to follow the BvllshIt rules they have set up in Puget sound the last half dozen years...

#980178 - 09/28/17 08:48 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Can't you just mail in your kidz punch card or is it all electronic this year? I haven't purchased a license in my home state this year yet.

#980182 - 09/28/17 09:12 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

This spring, when I got licenses for myself and punchcards for my kids (both under 15 years old, I ordered the stuff online. At that time, I had to create usernames and passwords for them and I saved the login info.

When it came time to report my and their crab (we all got 0 dungeness), I logged in using the same IDs and passwords from this spring. Worked pretty smoothly.

I used the same email address for all of us (my email address), but each person needs a different user ID.

#980183 - 09/28/17 09:18 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: Steelheadman]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Steelheadman
Can't you just mail in your kidz punch card or is it all electronic this year? I haven't purchased a license in my home state this year yet.

what was wrong with the system last year? I didn't need a SS number, email and password for my 10 and 12 year old... why do I need it this year? they don't even have a fvcking email...

it doesn't matter anyway, WDFW won't get around to looking at the data for 5 or 6 years anyway...

#980184 - 09/28/17 09:20 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: cheapskate]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: cheapskate
This spring, when I got licenses for myself and punchcards for my kids (both under 15 years old, I ordered the stuff online. At that time, I had to create usernames and passwords for them and I saved the login info.

When it came time to report my and their crab (we all got 0 dungeness), I logged in using the same IDs and passwords from this spring. Worked pretty smoothly.

I used the same email address for all of us (my email address), but each person needs a different user ID.

I will be interested to know in 10 years, when they are on their own, if they will be able to set up their own account or if they will need your email in order to login...

#980185 - 09/28/17 09:52 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

I'd be curious to know how much the new website cost WDFW... it was actually really good the way it was for crab (my dad even figured it out), all they needed to do was add the rest of the punch card categories to the end of season reporting system and then research the potential for in season reporting...

#980186 - 09/28/17 10:30 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Piper
Originally Posted By: cheapskate

I will be interested to know in 10 years, when they are on their own, if they will be able to set up their own account or if they will need your email in order to login...

I only had to provide the email address when setting up my and their profiles when purchasing online licenses, along with the basics like name, address, birthday, etc. Most/all of that information is already in the WILD system after purchasing online licenses for the last 10 years.

The email address can be changed anytime in the system, just like addresses, height, weight, etc. It's just the user ID and password that is needed to login to purchase a license, submit crab reports, or to just change your profile info.

That being said, all my effort was for naught, since my kids don't seem to be the least interested in fishing or crabbing.

** Edit: looking over my profile on their website, it looks like they have my transaction history up to at least 2011, including tracking my submissions of crab CRCs and my license purchases (both online and from dealer places like Big 5).

Edited by cheapskate (09/28/17 10:46 PM)

#980191 - 09/29/17 09:39 AM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Originally Posted By: Piper
stuff like this makes me wonder if anyone at the WDFW actually participates or even has to follow the BvllshIt rules they have set up in Puget sound the last half dozen years...

This couldn't be more spot on. We've got a bunch of jackasses sitting around writing rules for fisheries in which they do not even participate.
I want to be a fisherman.

#980199 - 09/29/17 12:59 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
Eric Kraig Offline
Fry

Hi all,

I'm the manager for the catch record card system. We switched to a new license system vendor this year. After last year's data breach, one of the requirements was for a password-protected system. So that part is here to stay, I'm afraid. But like any new system, there are still some rough spots, so if you have suggestions for improving the reporting flow, I'd be glad to hear them and pass them on.

And yes, we use the data immediately. Winter seasons will be announced within the next few days.

And I caught a few crab this summer... doesn't mean I'm not a jackass, though.

#980201 - 09/29/17 01:15 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: Eric Kraig]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: Eric Kraig

Hi all,

I'm the manager for the catch record card system. We switched to a new license system vendor this year. After last year's data breach, one of the requirements was for a password-protected system. So that part is here to stay, I'm afraid. But like any new system, there are still some rough spots, so if you have suggestions for improving the reporting flow, I'd be glad to hear them and pass them on.

And yes, we use the data immediately. Winter seasons will be announced within the next few days.

First, "Thank You" Eric for having the courage to publicly post on this forum and identify who you are and what you do for WDFW. It is VERY RARE that an employee directly responsible for the stuff we, sport fishermen have to deal with will address the public like you just did. We may not like everything about the new system, but having the reasons for certain things explained sure helps.
Maybe you can encourage the other "managers" to come out of their cubicles and talk to the stakeholders?

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#980203 - 09/29/17 01:33 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
How about we get out of the STONE AGE and get a reporting APP going???

We've had this talk before, and sure it doesn't work for some, but let those of us who are ready do our reporting the RIGHT WAY.

"Hold on officer, let me get my license for you, I'm sure it's here somewhere!"

I want to be a fisherman.

#980206 - 09/29/17 02:21 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: Eric Kraig]
Piper
Unregistered

but did you login and report them for you, your wife and kids? wink

Hey, thanks for stepping up... in the name of data security, I completely understand. Hindsight being 20/20, next time something like this is changed, put up an explanation on the first linked page as to why this change was initiated, it would be a non-issue...

I'll bet that the number of non-reporters skyrockets compared to last year because of the extra hoops...

#980208 - 09/29/17 02:33 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Thanks Eric.

Maybe you could have a system similar to Big Game group tag submissions and have a "group master" that can submit on behalf of multiple people (wife and kids etc.) via their individual Wild ID #'s? Most of that functionality already exists in your IT toolbox. Not everyone has regular access to the internet and / or are cautious about having specific accounts for their kids. Not to mention that multiple login ID's and PW's are easy to lose track of. Some kids can't even find their shoes in the morning before school, let alone manage online accounts.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by NickD90 (09/29/17 02:35 PM)

#980215 - 09/29/17 05:54 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly

We've had this talk before, and sure it doesn't work for some, but let those of us who are ready do our reporting the RIGHT WAY.

Sure glad you aren't King for a day. Might not be so objectionable if you had referred to it as being the right way for YOU.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#980218 - 09/29/17 07:12 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: ]
Eric Kraig Offline
Fry

I entered mine, my wife's, a couple of grand kids, and about 1400 reports for confused citizens... probably entered a few reports in my sleep.

We have seen a drop in online reports, and a bump up in mail - got to keep the USPS in business somehow.

A reporting app is in the works.

#980220 - 09/29/17 07:24 PM Re: submitting crab catch record cards for kids [Re: Eric Kraig]
Piper
Unregistered

got to keep the USPS in business somehow.

I acutally believed your sh!t till this... there is not a single thing i need the USPS for anymore...

I put my address on my recycle bin to save a step...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |