LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#996144 - 11/07/18 07:53 PM Walk across the canal without getting wet!
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Was excited to get the chance to finally fish out of my boat for some Hood canal Chum. Unfortunately, they are being totally wiped off the face of the earth. Tribal nets, (many, many, many) nets everywhere. And they will be in 7 days a week, with the big commercial boats pounding them on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Saw only 4 fish caught at Hoodsport today, all day, by all the poor guys that are standing there all day, flogging empty water with their single barbless hook!

After being pushed off the ramp by Tribal boats while trying to get my boat out, I watched the totes being off loaded at the Cushman Powerhouse launch and thought to myself; "What a wonderful state to be a sportsmen."

#996154 - 11/08/18 06:14 AM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
Between the commercial boats and the tribes, the chum don't stand a chance. I remember 20-30 years ago so many rivers stuffed with chum. Good times. You could literally catch fish day after day for weeks and it seemed like they just kept on coming. Something has to change they cant take this type of pressure anymore.

#996178 - 11/08/18 08:20 AM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10

All happening right in front of our eyes. But HEY, there are 1.2 million coming in! Lets kill em all!
I think about the imbalance these mass harvests cause in the food chain...the one we all learned about in 3rd grade.

Yet, when the fish are gone, the suits will be filed for not maintaining habitat, etc.

I've said it before: Puget Sound cannot feed the world. Lots'a shame out there on the water.

#996184 - 11/08/18 08:38 AM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
... Then they'll say it was all the sportsmens fault, because we keep a few for eggs.

#996210 - 11/08/18 09:32 AM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

I was also pretty disappointed on how rudely the tribal fishermen were. There was a definite air of superiority and entitlement. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I though the Chushman Power station ramp was a "public" ramp. Is it not? I have a small boat, and as I was headed into the ramp, I had a big tribal boat scream right past me, very close that nearly swamped me, then, as I was on the ramp, my buddy holding the boat as I went up to back the trailer, two more tribal boats came in and "pushed" my buddy off the ramp onto the side rocks. The tribal trucks then pushed past me and my trailer and backed down the ramp to pull their boats. It was as if I had no business being there, on their ramp...

It all left me with a pretty bad impression...

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#996245 - 11/08/18 12:38 PM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I think Tacoma, who previously owned the Cushman Ramp, gave it to the Tribe's as part of the most recent agreement on the Cushman Dams relicensing.

#996247 - 11/08/18 01:01 PM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Well that explains it! I Wasn’t supposed to be there!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#996253 - 11/08/18 01:31 PM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
My understanding is you could still use it but you had to pay. Has that changed?

#996294 - 11/08/18 06:34 PM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: BW]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
There'[s a charge depending...…..? I used it during the summer. About fifteen bucks if I remember right. Sometime there was someone there to collect, but not always. Maybe it was more during the shrimp season and less later on. Decent ramp. I wonder what will happen if the sockeye show up next year?

#996308 - 11/08/18 11:40 PM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: ned]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: ned

All happening right in front of our eyes. But HEY, there are 1.2 million coming in! Lets kill em all!
I think about the imbalance these mass harvests cause in the food chain...the one we all learned about in 3rd grade.

Yet, when the fish are gone, the suits will be filed for not maintaining habitat, etc.

I've said it before: Puget Sound cannot feed the world. Lots'a shame out there on the water.

But we can’t fish area 9 because we might catch a wild coho, but the gill nets and purse seiners fishing the same area won’t catch any. Bend over and grab our ankles....

#996461 - 11/10/18 04:45 PM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Just keep voting for democrates. Your next hurdle will be to remove the hypodermic needles to fish the beaches.

#996462 - 11/10/18 07:03 PM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Lots of chumlies today in the canal, though not near Hoodsport.
Didn’t see any nets either in the area I was fishing.
SF

#996792 - 11/14/18 01:51 PM Re: Walk across the canal without getting wet! [Re: Bay wolf]
bigb8bigfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
yeah went out on sunday morn and alls i saw was nuthin but a floss and snag show. no schools out on the flats and all bunched up at the mouth of the creek. saw one guy get his fill, brought it back to his rig. then came back out to do it again. REALLY? went around the canal till we did find a school and got to walk the dogs some and went up the hills for shrooms but did do too well. lots of places closed off.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1395 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |