Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1000552 - 01/08/19 09:01 AM Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
My Annual post is a bit delayed. I want to remind blackmouth fishermen to stay away from coho killers and small bait to avoid total overkill on shakers. Todays shakers are our keepers for 2020 and 2021. Shakers suffer a HIGH mortality rate when released.
I heard a kid saying, "We got 25 shakers...". What a waste of resource, and waste of time fishing. I was guilty of it in the past...just going with the flow and trolling what everyone is talking about .
Go with bigger bait to avoid the shakers, keep the areas open by staying below quota, and ensure AHFMD, BUT only when they are big enough to keep!

Lets say that kid got 15 shakers, he fishes 10 blackmouth days, thus killing 150 potential future fish. That's just one fisherman!

Join the trend to target keepers, not drag shakers!

Edited by ned (01/08/19 09:05 AM)

#1000558 - 01/08/19 09:22 AM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I also have to remind myself that when I get into an area with a lot of juvenile fish, I need to move to another area!

That, and I've really been looking forward to getting better at fishing Tomic plugs. smile

#1000566 - 01/08/19 09:59 AM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Big blue plugs fished deep. thumbs

#1000567 - 01/08/19 10:01 AM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Unfortunately a lot of the time those sub-adult fish in the 14-20" range are right in there feeding on the same forage as the adults so if you're leaving an area full of 18"ers you're probably also leaving the mature keepers.

Running squids and ace-hi's tends to catch far less shakers as well on a case-by-case basis.

I wish the winter fish were as willing to bite the plugs as the summer kings but it just seems they are not, although you will catch fish on them.
I want to be a fisherman.

#1000569 - 01/08/19 10:28 AM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: ned
Lets say that kid got 15 shakers, he fishes 10 blackmouth days, thus killing 150 potential future fish. That's just one fisherman!

Join the trend to target keepers, not drag shakers!

While the reminder is worthwhile suggesting a 100% mortality is inaccurate and could be counter-productive given the Orca recovery efforts.

If you haven't read Danny Westneat's column in Sunday's Seattle Times you should. He specifically criticized the Task Force for not doing enough to eliminate fishing impacts on Chinook. Yes, I specifically used the "eliminate" word as he suggested a multi-year closure and, ironically, used extensive quotes from WFC's Kurt Beardslee without recognizing that WFC has been adamantly against hatcheries which produce 80% of P.S. Chinook.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1000580 - 01/08/19 11:09 AM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Larry, I agree but I hate to admit that a lot of hookups with shakers on my boat are mortal. There's no way (unless your boat has a vet with a fish ICU on board) that a 2/0 - 5/0 hook impaling a 6-12 inch fish is going to result in a survivable release.

I personally am torn every time I hook a shaker. I hate it. Not because of loss of fishing time, but because I know I should be recording something on my tag.... Tinkering with gear and location definitely has helped reduce my impacts.

That being said, it's the nature of fishing Puget Sound. And as was the intent of the initial post, we all must do our part to help prevent our impact on the little ones. But WDFW also needs to realize there are other issues impacting juvenile salmon survival than us sporties. The more and more we show our desire and willingness to adjust our techniques to protect the resource, the more opportunity we'll be allocated.

#1000582 - 01/08/19 11:12 AM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: TanTastic84]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Originally Posted By: TanTastic84
impaling a 6-12 inch fish is going to result in a survivable release.

The winter "shakers" tend to be larger than that so it's not a direct comparison. I think mainly in the winter you're catching 16-20" sub-adult "shakers" as compared to the summer fishery where those little smolt size shakers are more abundant. We rarely catch any 6-12" fish in the winter time.
I want to be a fisherman.

#1000583 - 01/08/19 11:37 AM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for informing me. I haven't had the opportunity to fish PS in the winter until recently so my impact comment was definitely based on my experience being mostly a summer king and coho fisherman.

I am very interested in learning about these seasonal differences. So many things to learn, so little time to fish. smile

#1000591 - 01/08/19 12:50 PM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Without a doubt the best strategy available to avoid incidental mortality when blackmouth fishing in Puget Sound, is to bring me with you.

I am basically blackmouth repellant. Which is good because it's steelhead season.

fb

#1000622 - 01/08/19 05:18 PM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
I have never noticed a major difference in lure size and shakers. IME, and I’ve used some big commercial stuff, the big stuff just skewers them different.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#1000625 - 01/08/19 06:42 PM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I truly respect your opinion, yet my my experiences have been somewhat different. My experience has been that spoons/plug cut herring, and or small/fast plugs hook far more dinks than a 5" or 6" plug will. Yes the large slow plugs will still hook dinks just not a many as a small/fast/glittery lure will. And yes, I have hooked dinks on large, white, slow plugs, mostly hooked through the top of the head, and if I was paying attention and I did not drown them, they seemed to swim away just fine, how long they survived after the release I do not know.

Oh yes I should say that large, slow, and non sparkly lures have often produced for me winter blsckmouth.

Edited by blackmouth (01/08/19 08:13 PM)
Edit Reason: to clarify

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#1000626 - 01/08/19 07:13 PM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
I should’ve been more clear. I was speaking of spoons (hootchies to a lesser extent) only. Their quick erratic action tend to skewer curious youngsters. I agree that the larger plugs a bit slower don’t hook nearly as many shakers. I’ll do that often when I get into smaller fish and I’ll go deeper as I tend to get larger fish the deeper I go......usually. Good luck out there.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#1000632 - 01/08/19 08:15 PM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: RowVsWade]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
I should’ve been more clear. I was speaking of spoons (hootchies to a lesser extent) only. Their quick erratic action tend to skewer curious youngsters. I agree that the larger plugs a bit slower don’t hook nearly as many shakers. I’ll do that often when I get into smaller fish and I’ll go deeper as I tend to get larger fish the deeper I go......usually. Good luck out there.

Thanks.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#1000635 - 01/08/19 08:34 PM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
We may have to face the reality that there is no release option in a "deep" conservation situation. Any and all fish encountered are killed.No release. This would apply to rec and commercial. All retained, all reported.

If you prefer to fish highly selective gear then maybe you can avoid the less desirable fish.

There is some work with Atlantic Salmon that C&R'd females successfully spawn but produce fewer smolts. So, in that case, a C&R fishery requires a higher escapement goal than a C&K fishery........

#1000877 - 01/11/19 04:14 PM Re: Use biggeer lures to avoid wasting time on shakers [Re: ned]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Towed a couple of tomic plugs around last time out for a couple of hours in between crab pot soaks. Two bites, two legal sized fish, and zero shakers in an area that the flasher-spoons/hoochies stick dink balls consistently.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (No More Ice Fishin), 1153 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |