LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1001559 - 01/19/19 10:02 AM viaduct jack hammer noise affect fish?
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
The question is in the topic ..... thoughts?

#1001587 - 01/20/19 06:42 AM Re: viaduct jack hammer noise affect fish? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Or trigger an earthquake out of the Seattle fault line?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1001789 - 01/23/19 08:15 AM Re: viaduct jack hammer noise affect fish? [Re: ParaLeaks]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I posed the question because of a report that I read a while back about Hood Canal Bridge noise possibly impacting the survival of outbound smolt (if memory serves correctly). I don't know if the viaduct noise has had a likewise negative impact, but if it has, I can only imagine what the jack hammers sound like, and whether or not the new tunnel which has more surface contact with the ground will be transmitting more noise/vibration. Any studies done concerning this type of impact? Perhaps I just need more coffee.

Edited by ParaLeaks (01/23/19 08:17 AM)

#1001802 - 01/23/19 10:50 AM Re: viaduct jack hammer noise affect fish? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: ParaLeaks
I posed the question because of a report that I read a while back about Hood Canal Bridge noise possibly impacting the survival of outbound smolt (if memory serves correctly). I don't know if the viaduct noise has had a likewise negative impact, but if it has, I can only imagine what the jack hammers sound like, and whether or not the new tunnel which has more surface contact with the ground will be transmitting more noise/vibration. Any studies done concerning this type of impact? Perhaps I just need more coffee.

Lots of info on noise impact on Orcas to include ferries. Just my observation as a kid hanging out and fishing off the public access portion of the Edmonds ferry dock back in the 50s (it is now off limits; my antics then crawling around and under the pier would get a kid arrested now) was that the ferries had little impact on fish in the area.

What I have gleaned about the Hood Canal bridge is that it creates a barrier to salmonid and particularly steelhead smolt trying to out-migrate. Another barrier concentrating smolt to the benefit of predators.

#1001808 - 01/23/19 12:01 PM Re: viaduct jack hammer noise affect fish? [Re: ParaLeaks]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
So, are you worried about the fish in the Seattle Aquarium?

Those would be the closest fish to the viaduct.

Don't think the fish minded too much when they rebuilt the sea wall down on the waterfront. Can't imagine any work on the viaduct, which is several hundred feet East of the water and on dry land, would have any effect on anything, other than Seattle traffic.

PS. Even if the vidaduct was floating on top and in the middle of the Duwamish River (only river in the area where there are outgoing salmonid smolts in Elliot Bay), any and all construction noise would be a welcome treat compared to the filth and pollution those little fishies have to swim through to make it to Elliot Bay.

Not like Elliot Bay is a whole lot cleaner.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised *any* salmon makes it out of the Duwamish and Elliot Bay...let alone make it back as an adult to that sespool.

#1001825 - 01/23/19 12:52 PM Re: viaduct jack hammer noise affect fish? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I suspect that ship noise (and pollution) was a whole lot higher in (say) the early-mid 40s and again in the early 50s with all the military coming and goings. Don't think they tried to be quiet.

#1001832 - 01/23/19 01:04 PM Re: viaduct jack hammer noise affect fish? [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I suspect that ship noise (and pollution) was a whole lot higher in (say) the early-mid 40s and again in the early 50s with all the military coming and goings. Don't think they tried to be quiet.

And a whole lot fewer pinnipeds!!

#1001888 - 01/23/19 04:26 PM Re: viaduct jack hammer noise affect fish? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
There was that. But probably more SRKWs and more salmon and steelhead, too.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (seabeckraised, Carcassman), 429 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |