LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1008174 - 05/02/19 12:54 PM Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again.
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Many of you know that a group of us called the Washington Citizen Sportsmen have been working hard for over three years now on ending the policy of banning citizens from witnessing the inner process of the Tribal/WDFW North of Falcon negotiations. I also understand that many of you are tired of my constant posts about this, and feel it's a lost cause. Hell, after three years of trench fighting, we have sometimes felt that too. But we believe that this single issue is the thread that could unravel so much of what is wrong with the Co-management process. We cannot give up. So, please understand that our posts are not intended to offend, but hopefully inspire.

Look, there has been a lot of speculation, suspicion, discussions and distrust surrounding the North of Falcon process and the results which we are forced to live with. Specifically, the Tribal/WDFW portion, and exactly what and how this mandated negotiations take place.

FACT: We already know that WDFW MUST have an agreement with the tribes in order to get permits to fish.

FACT: This is complicated by WDFW using the Tribes "fast track" to get permits. (It's known as piggybacking)

FACT: We also know that if the State should try to "go it alone" it would take months, and the fishing season would be over before we got permits.

FACT: This sets up a situation where the tribes have leverage over the state. It's not speculation, it's not alternate reality, it's a simple fact. Whether they use that leverage to gain an advantage over everyone else is a question, but past participants who have been in the negotiations say they do.

This leaves us, as non-tribal citizens with only a few courses of action to try and level the playing field.

1. Somehow get the State to petition for Federal action to fast track our permits, so we are treated equally.

2. Somehow get the State to petition the Bureau of Indian Affairs to end the policy of "reviewing" the tribes permits, thus eliminating their nexus for fast tracking.

3. Have these meetings open instead of behind locked doors. Stop banning the public and press from being witness to the negotiations. This is the simplest and easiest way to insure that IF there is any "leverage" applied, it will be done in a public forum. Of course, we are not advocating for a colosseum of people to be allowed in. Our solution is a small, live feed video of the proceedings. Broadcast on CCTV, just like they did at the last plenary meeting. A very simple and unobtrusive solution that would go MILES in bringing an end to speculations and suspicions, and would really help in building trust. Let us see that both Tribal and state representatives are working in "good faith" to do what's best for the fish, and what is fair and equal for everyone involved.

Now, why is this SO hard for them to agree to?

That is the question that leads us all to distrust the tribes and feel like the Commission is not looking out for our best interests.

#1008175 - 05/02/19 01:18 PM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: Bay wolf]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Put bluntly and simply, the tribes are not bound by this and can and will just walk out and apply on their own. And their application will be fast tracked and we will will end up with nothing.

It's the same reason I could not get support for you with the PSA three years ago.

#1008177 - 05/02/19 01:41 PM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: BW]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: BW
Put bluntly and simply, the tribes are not bound by this and can and will just walk out and apply on their own. And their application will be fast tracked and we will will end up with nothing.

It's the same reason I could not get support for you with the PSA three years ago.

BW, I understand, but it seem's like PSA would be one of the first organizations to want to support this. After all, it is the Puget Sound Angler who has had to absorb the greatest loss of opportunities as a result of these secret meeting agreements. Yes, they could walk out. And that FEAR is exactly what they are using against us. We can make change work if we band together. The alternative is to let it continue, and die from a thousand cuts.

#1008200 - 05/03/19 08:37 AM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
We need our own permit.

fb

#1008202 - 05/03/19 09:06 AM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: Bay wolf]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
The issue is: It's just not that easy getting separate permits and we would run a real risk on not getting to fish at all. We went the way once already remember.

If you want to really accomplish something find a way to start forcing the WDFW to take the tribes to court over some of these issues. Right now they think they can do or claim anything they want, closing the Skokomish river for example. How long has the department of fun and games said they would do something about that.

Making the meetings public will do nothing but end the meetings. It will make it worse.

#1008208 - 05/03/19 09:45 AM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: Bay wolf]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Department of fun and games.. LoL. Kinda got a ring to it.
I bet they all get bonuses every year because they think they are doing such a good job....Not!

#1008212 - 05/03/19 10:14 AM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: BW]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

The issue is: It's just not that easy getting separate permits and we would run a real risk on not getting to fish at all. We went the way once already remember.

If you want to really accomplish something find a way to start forcing the WDFW to take the tribes to court over some of these issues. Right now they think they can do or claim anything they want, closing the Skokomish river for example. How long has the department of fun and games said they would do something about that.

Making the meetings public will do nothing but end the meetings. It will make it worse.

Interesting that your comment reads “ If you want to really accomplish something...”. It almost leads me to understand that you don’t. As a member of PSA, I would think your organization would be frantically and tirelessly pressuring for change. As I stated before, it is the Puget Sound that has taken the greatest hits in season reductions and restrictions. Most as a direct result of agreements made in these meetings. PSA has been strangely quiet. I don’t mean this as a personal slight BW. I know you and you are just as frustrated and angry as anyone. I just think WE need to all start somewhere to fix this. If PSA and CCA and all the other organizations would pull together we would have the strength and numbers to effect real change. Simply doing nothing for fear of losing what little we have left will only result in us loosing everything. Better to do something than nothing and that is why we are fighting. Opening these meetings might not be the solution, but over 5000 citizens has signed the petition, so at least we are giving some hope. Haven’t seen that from any other group.

#1008239 - 05/04/19 06:49 AM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: BW]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit

As I remember it, we started down that path but the outcry from sportsmen who might have to sacrifice a season or two was great enough that the department capitulated to the tribes.

#1008240 - 05/04/19 07:54 AM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
If it were to be determined that the State's participation in NOF makes NOF subject to the State's Open Meeting law will tribe(s) refuse to participate? If so, and the result is no agreement it seems to me that it would be an appropriate time for the State to demand its own permit with the pressure then being on NOAA to prevent a shutdown of State fisheries pending issuance of a permanent permit.

I think we missed that opportunity once and should it come up again WDFW needs to take a different path and stand up.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1008246 - 05/04/19 10:10 AM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It is not just NOF. WDFW's reg processes often run afoul of the laws about setting regulations. The State has to either comply across the board of go to the Leg and make their preferred process legal.

One outcome of the lawsuit requiring open NOF meetings will be that the Leg will respond to their owners and write a law so that NOF can be a closed process.

#1008291 - 05/05/19 07:45 AM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: Bay wolf]
RICH G
Unregistered

Maybe the best thing would be to get a voter initiative on the ballot to 100% defund and disband WDFW management and enforcement. Its up to us as citizens to decide who and how our state resource is managed. Enforcement only goes after non tribal members anyways.

Could things get any worse honestly, WDFW has managed our resources into total destruction anyways. Why should we pay them to keep doing that?

#1008309 - 05/05/19 12:33 PM Re: Beating a Dead Horse...here he goes again. [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Wasn't it the Legislature which tried to exclude themselves from the PDA and basically were shouted down. This may be a bit different given the tribal aspect but at least they would have to be on the record as will the tribes. Public scrutiny and social media.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., steely slammer), 1356 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |