LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1043239 - 12/07/20 10:36 AM Time to protect the lowly whitefish?
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
I fish the Yakima hard every year with several years under my belt now, and have noticed the past few years the white fish run is now almost non-existent.

The stretch I fish has a limit of 15 fish per person per day. I do not and will not keep them as I am out for sport and not out for blood, though delicious smoked and canned, but I can't imagine these fish can take such a liberal limit any longer. It angers me when I see "anglers" out fishing for them and just toss them on the banks for the birds and other predators.

I think we are over due for a drastic cut back in bag limit. I do not believe WFDW is actually doing any studies on the water of these fish. The rules are single point barbless with size 14 hooks or smaller only, which are seldom followed. I do not have any problem catching a pile of fish every time out but the whitefish and becoming more and more scarce and I find this troubling.

Is it time to protect these cool fish?
I think so.
This is one of my favorite fisheries and it pains me to see what it has become.

Are there other factors to the decline I am over looking?
Its not just my boat either but most people I talk to.

What are the best options other then talking to bios and having them completely shut it down?

pic for click
thanks for reading

#1043242 - 12/07/20 12:12 PM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Cool Pic.
Heater comes to mind.

Could annual water temp be an issue for white fish?

#1043246 - 12/07/20 01:27 PM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
The "anglers" that just toss them on the bank are not really anglers in the way that we think of the word. They are the same who leave their litter on the gravel bar, throw their beer caps in the water, cig butts on the ground, etc. Nothing more frustrating that unnecessary waste. We were fishing on the Kenai some years back and saw some "anglers" catching pinks on plugs while silver fishing, they would reel them up and grab the line just above the plug with treble hooks and violently shake the pink off. Guess it gives a new meaning to "ripping lips".

#1043258 - 12/07/20 05:23 PM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: War-Paint
I fish the Yakima hard every year with several years under my belt now, and have noticed the past few years the white fish run is now almost non-existent.

The stretch I fish has a limit of 15 fish per person per day. I do not and will not keep them as I am out for sport and not out for blood, though delicious smoked and canned, but I can't imagine these fish can take such a liberal limit any longer. It angers me when I see "anglers" out fishing for them and just toss them on the banks for the birds and other predators.

I think we are over due for a drastic cut back in bag limit. I do not believe WFDW is actually doing any studies on the water of these fish. The rules are single point barbless with size 14 hooks or smaller only, which are seldom followed. I do not have any problem catching a pile of fish every time out but the whitefish and becoming more and more scarce and I find this troubling.

Is it time to protect these cool fish?
I think so.
This is one of my favorite fisheries and it pains me to see what it has become.

Are there other factors to the decline I am over looking?
Its not just my boat either but most people I talk to.

What are the best options other then talking to bios and having them completely shut it down?

pic for click
thanks for reading

Plenty of assumptions and personal opinions. You might want to contact WDFW's South Central Region and ask some questions:

TeamYakima@dfw.wa.gov.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1043263 - 12/08/20 07:45 AM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Assumptions = Spending almost everyday its open on the water and never seeing a fish and game officer enforcing the rules they were hired to uphold. Just shutting down fisheries seems easier to them then enforcement while driving around their new trucks they get every year.

Personal opinions = Talking with people who have fished the run before I was even alive. Several years under my own belt now to have a good understanding form an assessment and idea of what's going on and what drastically needs to be improved.

If you have a better suggestion to form an opinion and assumption, I'm all ears.

#1043264 - 12/08/20 08:06 AM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I kinda doubt that WDFW has much of an idea as to how the whitefish are doing. It is hard enough to evaluate something as big, obvious, and predictable as salmon.

On some of my other groups there is developing a lot of interest in whitefish as their numbers appear to decline, as agencies take action to remove them (they "compete" with salmonids), and so on. They are seeing that as the whitefish decline, so do the trout and they are wondering if whitefish eggs/fry are a critical part of the trout diet.

I think it was Aldo Leopold who said something like "The hallmark of intelligent tinkering is to keep all the parts." All the parts.

#1043268 - 12/08/20 09:08 AM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

"Just shutting down fisheries seems easier to them then enforcement while driving around their new trucks they get every year" and filming reality TV.

#1043269 - 12/08/20 09:25 AM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Assumptions = Spending almost everyday its open on the water and never seeing a fish and game officer enforcing the rules they were hired to uphold. Just shutting down fisheries seems easier to them then enforcement while driving around their new trucks they get every year.

Personal opinions = Talking with people who have fished the run before I was even alive. Several years under my own belt now to have a good understanding form an assessment and idea of what's going on and what drastically needs to be improved.

If you have a better suggestion to form an opinion and assumption, I'm all ears.

Apparently you missed the suggestion of contacting WDFW's regional office to ascertain if they have any recent pertinent biological information which might support your personal position - or refute it.

#1043271 - 12/08/20 09:34 AM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Carcassman]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

I think it was Aldo Leopold who said something like "The hallmark of intelligent tinkering is to keep all the parts." All the parts.

Great quote! I still think back to my logic and statistical design courses daily as I read and hear the retarded $hit that people believe these days.

To think you understand something is an assumption, plan accordingly.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#1043273 - 12/08/20 09:45 AM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Contact the Yakima WDFW office and ask what information they have on the river's whitefish population. Whitefish require cooler water temperatures than trout. If the Yakima has had some warmer than average summers recently, that could be a factor that is depressing the population. Over-harvest is a possibility, but it would be news to me to learn that very many people are keeping them. Whitefish congregate to mass spawn in November and December, so if you're fishing for them where they aren't, that could give you the impression that their numbers are less than they really are.

#1043289 - 12/08/20 12:29 PM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville

Since when has a pencil pusher behind a desk at the WDFW ever asked or even listened to the people actually on the water all the time?

We hear you...but I doubt anyone at WDFW does or will listen.

Better change the regulations so that you can't fish out of a boat on your river for whitefish. That'll fix things up in a jiffy!

#1043290 - 12/08/20 12:56 PM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

They usually do one better and put up huge concrete barriers so you can't access any of the launches(see parker game farm launch, buffalo road launch, sawyer launch just to name a few) . On public land and launches paid for by the public no less. Hope they can get a handle on things on your side of the mountains as well. Tough times all around.

Edited by War-Paint (12/08/20 01:37 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1043292 - 12/08/20 01:37 PM Re: Time to protect the lowly whitefish? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

If that email address for them isn't working here is the telephone number for WDFW's Region 3 office in Yakima: 509-575-2740.

I'm all ears too.....waiting for whatever info you receive from them.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1340 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |