Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1063746 - 04/10/24 12:49 PM Puyallup Crab Fishery -
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
The Puyallup Tribe just issued there notification for starting the season. From what came out last year, the state over did there numbers by around 16000 lbs, while the tribe came up short. I have a feeling the tribe may have taken more late in the year, but I am unsure. At one point it was around 56000 lbs for the state and 37,000 for the tribe.

Well this year the tribe is going in fairly early and has a projection of 90,000 lbs, over twice the allocation for last year. It will be interesting to see what the state does. In the past, they have not gotten any payback when the Recs came up short or when the tribe went heavy. Hopefully it just means they believe there is a huge increase in numbers. If not, I doubt there will be anything left once our season starts.

#1063747 - 04/11/24 07:10 AM Re: Puyallup Crab Fishery - [Re: Krijack]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

It's been a few years since I did any crabbing in MA 10,11, or 13. When numbers dropped and seasons ceased, I headed north and never came back. Doesn't WDFW and the tribes test fish before setting seasons? How do we find out those results? I thought the molt period was now through June/July? That's why rec. openers aren't until then. Maybe numbers are increasing again? That would be good news and spread out effort again, and maybe get me to stay local if their are any crab left.

#1063748 - 04/11/24 11:15 AM Re: Puyallup Crab Fishery - [Re: Krijack]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I sent out an email and got back a response later in the day yesterday. I was surprised they got back so quick, which I have to give them credit for. In a quick synopsis, the test numbers showed twice as many crabs per trap on average. The state is reducing their number by the overage last year. With the higher averages, it is likely that the recs can catch there share quicker, so the season will stay the same. This will hopefully leave some left over for a possible

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |