THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37247 - 10/18/06 06:41 PM Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
From the Wednesday edition of the Chronicle in the Chehalis/Centralia area. Tacoma power came to an agreement with the WDFW to start treating the returning adult coho as surplus. This is 180 degrees opposite from the agreement that they both signed during licensing. (2002). The article also states that last week the hatchery personel killed 1518 adult coho,241 coho jacks,3 adult fall chinook, and 21 STEELHEAD. The spokesman for the WDFW could not explain why other than adult coho were killed. It seems that the feds in all their wisdom decided that no more than half the salmon to be released above the dams could be of hatchery origin. (FERC) the Federal Energy Regulatory Commision issued this decision with the WDFW. The "surplus fish" from last week were to a processor for distribution to food banks throughout the state. If they were sold to these processors, then it seems like the money from this should go to the fisheries enhancement programs and not Tacoma Power as these fish belong to the people and NOT them. Up to this point, the surplus fish have been transported above the dams to the Cowlitz,Cispus,and Tilton rivers. This sounds like just another sell out to big business. The power company will not only save the cost of trucking the fish,but line their pockets as well. Any thoughts?

#37248 - 10/18/06 08:39 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
JimB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis
I have lots of thoughts but awaiting the results of a late afternoon/evening meeting between WDFW, Tacoma Power and possibly the Feds. Will know more tomorrow.

Jim

#37249 - 10/19/06 12:22 AM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
jandlfishingguide Offline
Repeat Spawner

Soon you will see atotal end to "trucking" of any fish on the river. Did you happen to see in that same report that all the salmon on October 17th were transported downstream to the Barrier Dam Boatramp? Must have been to close to quitting time to go to Mission or I-5 like normal.

TPU has indicated that "trucking" fish is too expensive so "surplusing" them is cheaper.....no gas for the truck and you don't have to pay a driver. What a joke???

#37250 - 10/19/06 02:09 AM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i can't see how trucking the fish upriver really helps out with anything. in my book the only guys that lose out are the hillbilly snaggers in morton. those fish are mostly boots anyway.

#37251 - 10/19/06 09:39 AM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Chum Man:
i can't see how trucking the fish upriver really helps out with anything. in my book the only guys that lose out are the hillbilly snaggers in morton. those fish are mostly boots anyway.
Thats a heck of a statement. I have fished this fishery, I have seen guides fishing up thier. As far as boots. Their are plenty of bright fish along with some boots. You dont know what your talking about. It seems to me that any fishery that gives us more chances to catch fish is worth while. A few years back the springer fishing in the lower cowlitz wasnt very good slow at best. I saw two different guides fishing the lake and I personally have seen very bright fish come out of their.

#37252 - 10/19/06 01:03 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Ichtyoid Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Quote:
It seems that the feds in all their wisdom decided that no more than half the salmon to be released above the dams could be of hatchery origin. (FERC) the Federal Energy Regulatory Commision issued this decision with the WDFW.
If it's the feds doing, it involves a Bush appointee slashing a budget so that more $,$$$,$$$ can be diverted to the "No Bid Contracts" over in Iraq.

Just my $.02

#37253 - 10/19/06 01:20 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
Quote:
Originally posted by troller:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chum Man:
[b] i can't see how trucking the fish upriver really helps out with anything. in my book the only guys that lose out are the hillbilly snaggers in morton. those fish are mostly boots anyway.
Thats a heck of a statement. I have fished this fishery, I have seen guides fishing up thier. As far as boots. Their are plenty of bright fish along with some boots. You dont know what your talking about. It seems to me that any fishery that gives us more chances to catch fish is worth while. A few years back the springer fishing in the lower cowlitz wasnt very good slow at best. I saw two different guides fishing the lake and I personally have seen very bright fish come out of their. [/b]
i was mainly talking about the tilton river fishery. that place is a mess, and makes the skokomish look tame.

#37254 - 10/19/06 01:48 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

There might be a right answer somewhere, but I don't think anybody knows what it is.

Coho salmon are recovering in the upper Cowlitz fairly well. That is, through a program of stocking hatchery fry in the upper river to rear naturally and migrate downstream through imperfect fish passage facilities, and trucking surplus hatchery adults to the upper river (both Tilton and upper Cowlitz/Cispus), naturally produced (in case you don't want to call them wild or native) coho are making a come back.

In some recent years, Tacoma has trucked as many as 80,000 adult coho to the upper watershed. The vast majority of those are hatchery surplus, with maybe 4,000 or 5,000 being from natural production. We hear about and read the evidence that hatchery fish are inferior spawners in the natural environment. With that in mind, is it really wise fish management to truck 20 times more hatchery fish than wild (excuse me, natural production) coho to the upper watershed for natural reproduction? With so much uncertainty, for the time being, half the fish trucked upstream of the dams will be hatchery surplus, to supplement natural spawners.

Under Tacoma's old FERC license, the primary purpose of hauling salmon to the upper river was for recreational fishing around Morton and Packwood. Under Tacoma's new license, the primary purpose is fishery restoration and ESA recovery. Recreational fishing is also a goal, but it is secondary to restoration.

WDFW and the federal agencies do not consider the cost savings for gas and truck driver time when specifying what Tacoma should do. We love to spend energy utility money, but most of us prefer to spend it productively - although that is certainly open to debate.

Ich, in this case at least, I can assure you, the Bush appointee doesn't have the slightest clue what Tacoma and the agencies are doing at the Cowlitz hatcheries. Fortunately perhaps, it's way too far below his radar screen.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#37255 - 10/19/06 02:21 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Ichtyoid Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmo g.:
Ich, in this case at least, I can assure you, the Bush appointee doesn't have the slightest clue what Tacoma and the agencies are doing at the Cowlitz hatcheries. Fortunately perhaps, it's way too far below his radar screen.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
You are prolly right. It's hard to trace that ultimate decision back to it's source.

#37256 - 10/19/06 02:41 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Hmmm. They raised the limit:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=448

Wonder what the reasoning is?

#37257 - 10/19/06 03:17 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Happy Birthday Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Yea, they raised the limit, but if you look at the creel counts you will see that nobody is catching them. It is a feel good gesture at best, but at least they are being somewhat responsive. What they need to do now is lift the deadline like they have in the past. I know, but the snaggers will take over. There is nothing I hate more in life then having government govern to the lowest element.. For example, there is crime in the park, so we are closing the park.. We could do something about crime, but hey, its just a lot easier to restrict you then to do what should be done. it never stops anything, just moves the activity somewhere else or to another realm and we all loose our rights.
At least this is a step in the right direction, though.

#37258 - 10/19/06 03:30 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by slabhunter:
Hmmm. They raised the limit:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=448

Wonder what the reasoning is?
The way this is written sounds like you can fish in the closed water section right up to the fish ladder at the dam? Anyone know?

#37259 - 10/19/06 06:09 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
RoeHead Offline
Smolt

They should move up the boundry marker!

#37260 - 10/19/06 06:13 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
RoeHead Offline
Smolt

They should move up the boundry marker!

#37261 - 10/19/06 06:20 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Looks like you can fish up to, and upstream of, the barrier dam all the way to the base of Mayfield Dam. Kinda' sloppy boundary writing, it looks like. Anyway, those who want to fish between the 400' marker and the barrier dam are free to do so, it appears. Please, no fishing in the fish ladder, though. That's really poor form for sport fishing.

#37262 - 10/19/06 06:27 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Oh man time to wrap up some 8/0 jigs.

#37263 - 10/19/06 06:48 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Backwoods of Kentucky
I don't know that I would go so far as to interpret the wording to mean that the boundary has been temporarily suspended. I would cal the WDFW and ask for clarification before making that assumption.

Just my .02 cents

#37265 - 10/19/06 07:54 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Quote:
Cowlitz River from boundary markers at mouth to Mayfield Dam
Looks plain enough the way I see things slap

#37266 - 10/19/06 08:24 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Repeat Spawner

Just came back from our property I have on the Cowlitz near the Barrier Dam. Yes they are fishing clear up to the fish ladder. Saw around 30 to 40 fish hooked in an hour....all foul hooked and nothing but snaggers there. Shoulder to shoulder just like the point at Blue creek in July

#37267 - 10/21/06 12:26 PM Re: Cowlitz "SURPLUS" Coho !!!
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Backwoods of Kentucky
Quote:
Originally posted by slabhunter:
Quote:
Cowlitz River from boundary markers at mouth to Mayfield Dam
Looks plain enough the way I see things slap
rolleyes rolleyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (DrifterWA), 1466 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |