THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#338686 - 03/10/07 10:03 PM What do your undies look like?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Undergarments for your breathable chest waders that is......get yer minds out of the gutter

I usually just wear sweat pants under my lightweight breathables. Part of why I like them is they are loose and comfortable but the obvious downside is they(being made of cotton) wick water so are prone to dampness when you work up a sweat.

I'm not well versed on other materials/brands that breath better and wick away water better. I picture something like longjohn bottoms but made of a breathable material like gor-tex or something. My concern there is as the temps. warm up yet still to cold for shorts/tennis shoes. Will this type of undergarment be "suffocating" and promote overheating of oneself on a long river hike?

Opinions and recommendations needed.

Thanks.

#338687 - 03/10/07 10:04 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: Eric]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great question Eric.

I hope some of the children will behave themselves.

#338688 - 03/10/07 10:08 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: ]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
FLEECE!!!!!!!!!! have the bibs for when its really cold or just some lighter ones for the normal days..

#338694 - 03/10/07 10:24 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: cowlitzkiller]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
FLEECE!!!!!!!!!! have the bibs for when its really cold or just some lighter ones for the normal days..

I've had 2 other people say fleece too that i talked to in person. God, wouldn't you get hot in those when hiking? Can you recommend a brand and who carries them?

Edited by Eric (03/10/07 10:25 PM)

#338695 - 03/10/07 10:34 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: Eric]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
I use simms waderwick heavy or mid weight for undergarments and have found that they are very comfortable and though a little expensive worth the money. If it's really cold some reddington or any other fleece wading pants over those and I dont get cold. Alot depends on weather I'm sittin' in a boat all day or walkin the bank.-T

Edited by TBJ (03/10/07 10:34 PM)

#338698 - 03/10/07 10:44 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: TBJ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I wear polypropylene long johns...if it's winter time, I add a pair of fleece pants over 'em.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#338700 - 03/10/07 10:46 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: Todd]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Todd
I wear polypropylene long johns...if it's winter time, I add a pair of fleece pants over 'em.

Fish on...

Todd

Ditto

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#338702 - 03/10/07 10:49 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: eyeFISH]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
redington makes some good fleece pants

#338704 - 03/10/07 10:57 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: D3Smartie]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Fleece has worked for me in the past but they do get warm when your hiking. Columbia makes a real nice pair with ankle straps so they dont bunch up. I have heard that underarmor heat gear is nice but I have never tried it.

j7 2012

#338716 - 03/10/07 11:35 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: j 7]
PRODUCE2TROUTCAT Offline
Parr

Loc: rat city
polypro, they come in different weights for temperature/activity level then the fleece over that when coold & not active.for ice fishin a down suit is great. make sure you get the underwear in camo with a drop flap so you can hide in the brush when taking a dump so your buddies can't see you to pelt you with objects

#338719 - 03/10/07 11:52 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: PRODUCE2TROUTCAT]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Todd

Fish on...

Todd

Ditto

Thanks for the input but the question remains, is this feasible as temps warm up? Think late spring/early summer and long hikes. Also, I'm gathering that the fleece that is being mentioned is actually more of a pant than a long john bottom?

Seems like a lot of what is being described is winter-wear???

#338720 - 03/10/07 11:54 PM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: PRODUCE2TROUTCAT]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
Fleece over boxer briefs...

#338723 - 03/11/07 12:11 AM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: Satan]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
Shoot i wear my fleece till its warm enough to wet wade..Because before that those early morning are still cold and the water is damm cold. i have been at blue creek at 3 am in shorts in the summer and it sucks...so i think if you stick to the fleece pants you will be GOOD>!!

#338725 - 03/11/07 12:26 AM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: Eric]
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
I Found a pair of Nikken long John's, made from ceramic fiber like the Astrounats suits are made of ,disperse heat but will retain heat, after a dunking in cold water yould think your day was over with, not with these, once out of the water these long john's will retain body heat and warm you as if it never happened, long johns and a pair of sweats is all i wear

#338738 - 03/11/07 01:44 AM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: Doug Kelly]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
Polypro long johns by themselves or w/ pile fleece when it's cold. Capilene(tm) is high quality.

Warm when wet, and efficient at wicking moisture. Works well w/ breathable layers.

#338740 - 03/11/07 01:46 AM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: PRODUCE2TROUTCAT]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Poly pro & fleece in winter. Commando in summer.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#338744 - 03/11/07 03:11 AM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: Dogfish]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Polypro under fleece when really cold or just fleece.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#338757 - 03/11/07 05:29 AM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: PRODUCE2TROUTCAT]
womperman Offline
Smolt

Loc: Aberdeen Wa
I were black wool, the stuff the loggers ware.

#338761 - 03/11/07 11:05 AM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: womperman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Eric, when it's too warm to wear poly's under my waders, I usually consider it too warm to wear waders at all...almost all of my summer and fall fishing is done with wading boots and shorts.

That being said, I don't find it to be too warm with the waders with just the polys unless it's pretty warm out...I would just prefer to wet wade when I can.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#338762 - 03/11/07 11:27 AM Re: What do your undies look like? [Re: Todd]
jam session Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Goodwin
Key is to have a breathable/wicking layer next to your skin. I like a light fleece layer better than polypro if that is all you're going to wear. Have read that polypro doesn't actually wick by itself, it is just hydrophobic (avoids water) and needs the fleece to move the moisture and work right. A light blend like capilene is good. Also important is wicking socks and briefs. If you wear cotton and hike, both of these will absorb moisture and feel clammy all day. A good synthetic may feel clammy while you are hiking but will quickly dry and be comfortable while you fish. Another comment is that many people who are used to cotton/wool tend to overdress when switching to synthetics. Really light stuff can keep you warm and if you are really sweating under breathables you are probably over dressed. I began to carry an extra layer when I hiked so that I could dress really light, but found that I rarely needed it .

This link has a good article on the basics: http://flyfisherman.com/gearreview/rplayering/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1014 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |