Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375415 - 09/18/07 12:57 PM Karma?
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Do you ever have “one of those days," or for the really unlucky, "one of those weeks?" It sorta feels like I'm having a doozy right now.

On Saturday I borrowed a friends mtn bike for a quick ride after some morning fishing. After surviving the ride unscathed, I managed to destroy his $250 rear derailleur pedaling home on flat pavement. Fishing funds depleted.

On Sunday I hit the Stilly to fly fish for some pinks and see if the silvers were showing up. I managed to hook into a decent silver which I lost after a short fight. Not nearly the crisis that dropping my cell phone in the river shortly afterward was. It’s toast.

Monday, back at work, I find out that I fairly large check I assumed (you know what they say) cleared more than a month ago just went through. In the hole, fishing funds gone.

This morning down at the Samish I somehow managed to tail hook a 25+ lb king using eggs under a float. Brilliant. With no landing net in sight, my attempts at getting it close enough to set free were pretty hopeless and my nearly brand new St Croix rod paid the price. Shattered.

They say these things come in three’s. Maybe I am in for a double? I think tomorrow I will stay home with a 12 pack. What could possibily happen right?

All minor in the grand scheme of things of course, and all occurrences can be directly attributed to operator error in one way or another, but I can’t help but feel a little abused regardless.

Anyone know the feeling?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#375419 - 09/18/07 01:00 PM Re: Karma? [Re: ColeyG]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Can only get better from here.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#375423 - 09/18/07 01:05 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
I think it's time to buy some lottery tickets, you're due for something REALLY good to happen!

#375427 - 09/18/07 01:10 PM Re: Karma? [Re: luckydogss]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Good call! There is a gas station next door, perhaps I should pick a few lotto tickets up at lunch! Although I would probably tip over a wine rack or something on my way out...

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#375428 - 09/18/07 01:11 PM Re: Karma? [Re: luckydogss]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Yikes, Just stay home for one day and dont sit below anything that can fall. No sharp knives and if it rains, stay away from the window and phone(lightening ya know) One day with nothing will break the streak. Then hit the closest river for a great day of fishing when it all turns around right after. Cash in on the good things to come.

#375429 - 09/18/07 01:11 PM Re: Karma? [Re: ColeyG]
Walkndadog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Better buy more than a 12 pack, you might run out and have no way to get any more....

#375432 - 09/18/07 01:15 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
How about "one of those years"?

February: Anterior dislocation of left shoulder.
March: Separated both the tibial fibular and deltoid ligaments in left ankle.
May: Open-shoulder Bankart opperation.
June: Blown out lower back.
July: Divorce.

Cry me a river, dude. ;\)

#375433 - 09/18/07 01:21 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Sol]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Yeah i know it's all minor stuff compared the real life issues that folks like Sol and Addicted face. I can't, nor do I want to compete on that level, and I wish you guys the best for sure. More just laughing out loud ay myself I guess. Thanks for the shred of sympathy and sagacious advice \:\)

Good times.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#375436 - 09/18/07 01:35 PM Re: Karma? [Re: ColeyG]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

They are back over at Children's today for more tests.

If I ever need a hip opperation I will have achieved the Grand Slam of joint injuries (ankle,knee,hip,shoulder). BTW: If you've never blown out a joint you don't know the true meaning of the word PAIN.

The rest of life's BS is all small stuff, divorce included. \:\)

#375440 - 09/18/07 01:42 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Sol]
Brant Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I dropped my cellphone in the saltwater. Got it out as fast as I could, turned it off, took the battery out, dried it as much as possible, put it in a sunny windowsill for 3 days with the battery out. It actually mostly works now. The volume doesn't work, but at least I avoided needing to buy a new one.

Hope that helps and things turn around for you.

#375446 - 09/18/07 01:49 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Brant]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Brant, sadly I am no stranger to the submerged phone problem. I have tried the aforementioned techniques and a few others as well. It came back to life briefly and then crapped the bed again. I am reverting to an old phone that was retired due to the same situation. A few of the buttons don't work, but it's manageable.

Sol, rough times bro. I would gladly break a rod a day (although I would run out well short of a week) if it meant avoiding blown up body parts. One destroyed ankle back in the day was enough to make me want to avoid that at all costs.
Thanks again

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#375447 - 09/18/07 01:50 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Brant]
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
Currently in between tests here at Childrens. Biopsy tomorrow. So yeah, big stuff happens, and sucks a little, but ya keep on moving. But, the little stuff too happens and I can understand the frustration ya feel. I've been there, yes you can foul hook kings in the Samish when they're thick on eggs, me and cell phones and water have never been a good combination. Sometimes the smaller stuff is completely annoying and frustrating because ya just feel like ya could have done something to avoid it. Go watch a good fishing show or snowboard video, that'll make ya feel better. Or better yet, reply to a bunch of threads on here. And read Dear Dr. Sol several times for mindless entertainment.

#375452 - 09/18/07 01:57 PM Re: Karma? [Re: ColeyG]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
One destroyed ankle back in the day was enough to make me want to avoid that at all costs.

I thrive on achievement. I'd rather die than roll over.

#375455 - 09/18/07 02:02 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Sol]
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

You'd probably like to roll over if you were achieving something.

#375456 - 09/18/07 02:03 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Addicted]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Keep it up, slick, I dare ya.

#375457 - 09/18/07 02:11 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Addicted]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Yeah, a couple days after I broke my left shoulder and woke myself up after rolled the wrong way in bed I remember thinking "nothing in the world can hurt this bad". Didn't yet know about scar tissue and rehab. ;\)

Hey Sol - just FYI since you're an overachiever - hips are ~way~ easier than shoulders. The last 'leg' of the Joint Slam should be a piece of cake for you.

#375458 - 09/18/07 02:11 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Sol]
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Shaniqua.

#375459 - 09/18/07 02:18 PM Re: Karma? [Re: Addicted]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

That's one miss-netted fish. Care to try for another?

#375467 - 09/18/07 02:42 PM Re: Karma? [Re: ]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

The volcano didn't erupt so she doesn't count. \:\)

#375476 - 09/18/07 03:09 PM Re: Karma? [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Maybe you all might want to try a kidney stone on for the ol pain meter. that'll make your eyes squint.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |