THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431387 - 04/28/08 09:16 PM Upper Chehalis River Dam...
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
Today on a Local radio talk show I heard a proposals to place a dam on the Upper Chehalis River above Pe Ell. This Dam would flood the forest land up the canyon to limit flooding in the low lands. I was wondering what the people of this board though of this Idea?

#431388 - 04/28/08 09:27 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: cowlitzkiller]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Dumbest

Idea

Ever

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#431394 - 04/28/08 09:31 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

DAM!

Dumb
Ass
Morons!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#431406 - 04/28/08 10:08 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: eyeFISH]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

The Facts they are using to try and justify the dam are built up and False. The way it sounds to me, the factions are going to write off the the wild stealhead that spawn up there. They are using lower energy cost to draw in support from locals. They also say once the Lake full of water and Fish, people will come from all over to fish. Which will boost the economy in the small local towns."Ya Right" As a member of the upper Chehalis river fisheries Task Force, I have walked many miles of this upper river counting spawning reds. With out these upper reaches, these fish will have no where to spawn. What do you guys think will need to be done in order to stop this dam from going in? I have know idea other then writing letters, and letting people know the facts.

#431409 - 04/28/08 10:19 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: cowlitzkiller]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I don't see it happening.

The state annhilates a great sport fishery on the Cowlitz in the name of saving mythical native/wild fish but will turn around and write off "known" wild salmon & steelhead on the upper Chehalis? I don't buy it.

The flood of litigation that would follow from fishery conservation groups would hold up the project for years, if not decades anyhow.

It's not like 50 years ago when a corporation with $$ could ramrod through a dam regardless of the resistance encountered.

#431414 - 04/28/08 10:28 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: Eric]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Who comes up with this crap?

#431419 - 04/28/08 10:35 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: fish4brains]
jandlfishingguide Offline
Repeat Spawner

My response? Can you spell T.P.U.

#431437 - 04/29/08 12:01 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: jandlfishingguide]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Humm... well lets just hope for the sake of the fish this don't happen !!!!

#431440 - 04/29/08 12:17 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: cowlitzkiller]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
wow,
I am truly amazed.........
well maybe not, has wdfw endorsed this proposal yet?

Peace
Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#431448 - 04/29/08 12:44 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: superfly]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Im not sure if it has been endorsed yet !! But Lewis County PUD is leading the efforts from what I hear.

#431451 - 04/29/08 12:50 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: cowlitzkiller]
Repeat Spawner

All you have to do is follow the $$$$. Power and public Utilities.

What I want to know is how they can even think about doing this Nathan when they closed the river to springer fishing because not enough for escapement goals. 900 fish!

How many are going to escape a dam? I guess they can be like the mighty Elwha fish and slam their noses against it.

#431465 - 04/29/08 05:40 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: jandlfishingguide]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
lewis county that great government that allowed all that building in the flood plane along i5 ,like walmart ,now wants to build a damn. must be the dumb leading the blind

#431500 - 04/29/08 12:14 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: larryb]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Loser County. Go figure.

I'd lay down money that the local yokels are all for it.
"It'll create jobs!"
The usual mantra for myopic corporate handouts.

...especially in a place where all the living wage jobs have been all wiped out by not acting wisely and sustainably and through incompetent, corrupt mal-management from a local government run by an uneducated good ol' boy network that is on par with something out of backwoods Alabama ....... or Haiti.

B-Run's sketch on Stam's thread sums Loser County up nicely.
I've been on Injun Reservations that are run with more common sense, foresight and honesty that Lewis County.

If the Chehalis river system terminated at the county line, I'd say go ahead and let them cut their own throats. but unfortunately it passes through two more counties (4 if you count the headwaters in Cowlitz and Pacific Co.'s) and meets the ocean.

Edited by Irie (04/29/08 12:25 PM)

#431529 - 04/29/08 03:22 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: cowlitzkiller]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.

Cowlitzkiller, can you believe this, I agree with you. And yes the stuff going on on the cowlitz sticks in my craw as well.

#431562 - 04/29/08 06:46 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: superfly]
the machinist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis WA
I have to get my 25 cents in here.

I live just downstream of this PeEll area & where there was lots of flooding last December, (I didn't get effected however). I understand some of your concerns on fish habitat, but unless you live in this area & understand what the consequences are, don't jump at your own conclusions before all of the cards are on the table.

This flood appears to have wiped out the complete 2007 wild Chinook brood year eggs in the upper Chehalis, both the South Fork & mainstem. Mud & silt 2 feet deep. Spawning gravel totally washed out & moved miles. The flooding of 2006 was not as dramatic, but it also did havoc to both the Chinook & Coho eggs because it was later in the year by a month.

IF there was a water retention barrier in place then, (you notice I did not call it a dam as that seems to be a NO-No word), this devastation MAY have been averted to some degree. Also those of you who wanted to fish lower down in the river after the flood were plowing mud with your props for months later. Something has to be done this time around & I hope that finger pointing with nothing accomplished is not the end result.

With modern invocations & human ingenuity many good things can be accomplished. I am not talking about civil engineers straight out of dental school here, but using level heads, (& some without college degrees) to make descisions, good things can happen for all concerned.

Also don't point fingers at the residents, implying that they are at fault for the totally damaged houses they used to own & saying it is their fault in that they sould have known & moved. Would you move off property owned by your family for generations? Same can be said for the city people who now live in a crime zone that was a nice location a few years ago.

Hope I didn't start a new can of worms here, but please don't shoot from the hip with a scattergun unless you totally understand the whole community’s needs & all the consequences.

Hey, I like to fish also, but unless you/we make provisons for a viable wild salmon run in this river, we will never even have hatchery fish here. As there is currently only ONE Chinook hatchery on the Chehalis system, (Bingham Creek) & it can not help the upper watershed. It can not even recover enough returning fish for needed escapement to get egg take.

The 2008 Chehalis Chinook season is closed because of not enough hatchery fish are expected to return. This same senerio could come into play next year or two, but then because of not enough returning wild adults because of the previous flooding.

We have to look at the overall picture & make good plans for the future.

#431574 - 04/29/08 07:33 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: the machinist]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
 Originally Posted By: the machinist

With modern invocations & human ingenuity many good things can be accomplished. I am not talking about civil engineers straight out of dental school here, but using level heads, (& some without college degrees) to make descisions, good things can happen for all concerned.

I haven't processed the dam idea yet. I haven't had time to think about it. I have thought about the permitting process for something like a dam on a river like the Chehalis. Believe me the real decisions will not be made by civil engineers, especially ones with dental degrees (funny one, BTW). Once the decision is made for a study of the dam effects, then an engineer will deliver the bad news, and the biologist will deliver even worse news. Although I agree with you that the firm required to carry out the work will probably not spend enough time on the grade talking to the farmers and townsfolk about how the flood waters were actually working (heights, flow direction, velocities, etc.). But basing it on the generally accepted means of broad brush stream modeling.

Then it will be the job of the politician, farmer, and the Lewis county backroom "power structure" to convince WA state (DOE, DNR, DFW, DOT), and a plethora of other advocacy groups, and random activists, that the dam's net effect is minimal, or mitigation will be in place in place (in some fashion).

Wow! It will take a long time. There will probably be a requirement for some minor funding out of Lewis Co, and chances are, they won't be able to bankroll it anyways.

#431605 - 04/29/08 10:26 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: Rocket Red]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Machinist, as I stated I was there and have been here my whole life born and raised in Winlock and I know a ton of the families that lost it all, as I'm sure you do as well. I just cant seem to grasp how they plan to stop the the amount water that we had in December. I know the area in Question very well, ("its my stomping grounds grew up running those hills"). I just feel that in order to stop the flows that we had the dam will have to stretch a few miles, Because of the way the hills lay there are no constants up there.

#431610 - 04/29/08 10:57 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: cowlitzkiller]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

On another note, I heard a argument that made a little bit of sense let me here what you guys think of this. So if the dam was built beyond the spawning grounds. "which is way above the talked about spot for the dam" it would have little affect on spawning fish. Also this person says that the dam would provide cooler river temps in the summer which would help smolts make there trip out to sea.

#431617 - 04/29/08 11:58 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: cowlitzkiller]
Repeat Spawner

Nathan, Wasn't this flood they are trying to stop from happening again with said dam caused due to an erosional slide from clear-cutting totally blocking the river for some time then letting go? Seem I saw a picture of said area on the upper Chehalis on the web (perhaps here on PP) Does anyone have this pic from an archive?

How is a dam gong to stop an erosional slide from Clear-cutting the forest?

#431620 - 04/30/08 12:15 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: jandlfishingguide]
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: shelton wa
I don't think you are going to see a dam the court battles over it would be enormous. I am sorry for those that lost everything in the floods but when you build inside the flood plain that is a risk you take. I feel that people are reacting rashly to the devastation and trying desperately to come up with solutions to prevent this from happening again. But we are failing to realize that you can't prevent natural disasters. Look at the major flooding that hit the Nisqually in 96 that river is damed yet it still flooded. As for a dam cooling water temps I don't see how impounding water will cool it. It has been my experience that still water heats up much quicker then moving water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |