THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#505477 - 04/30/09 02:41 PM Question about costom rods...
lavro8 Offline
Fry

Loc: K-Penn
May be a stupid question, but stupid is as stupid does... What are the advantages of ordering a blank and having a rod custom built over buying a factory made rod that suits ones needs?

#505479 - 04/30/09 02:53 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: lavro8]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
not much..... custom rods can be plain in style or way over board in extragance. custom rods don't fish any better than pruction rods. brewer 2 cents.

#505487 - 04/30/09 03:19 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Brewer]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Different guides and butt configuration

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#505489 - 04/30/09 03:23 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: lavro8]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

you can make them exactly how you want them....i only use custom rods and would never go back to manufactured poles.

#505496 - 04/30/09 03:33 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: dewbie]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I am the opposite - I only buy mfg rods. Reason being primarily warranty. If you bust your rod, do you want to wait 2-3 days and minimal expense for a brand new one, or 2-3 weeks plus the cost of getting it re-wrapped. There are so many quality mfg. rods available these days that you can always find what you need, and many are darn near custom in terms of what componnents they come with. My $.02.

#505507 - 04/30/09 04:10 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: lavro8]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
Have you taken a good look at the crap that come out of most factories?

A Loomis might cost $400 but its built with crappy guides and cheap cork. The guide wraps look like a 10 year old wrapped them.

I can buy the same blank,choose QUALITY components and either wrap it myself or have it wrapped and have a nicer rod, usually for less than the factory version.

The warranty doesn't mean much to me. If I have to wait a couple weeks to have it re-built,its not like I can't keep fishing. I'll just take one of the other 20 rods sitting in the garage and go fishing.

#505508 - 04/30/09 04:20 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: SundayMoney]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

I don't share your concerns about the rods coming out of the factories these days. They look fine to me, and they fish great. One thing I know for sure...your custom rod is not going to catch more fish than my production rod simply because your wraps look a little (if at all) nicer. And cost..I think that is a toss up depending on what production rod you are looking at.

The warranty means alot to most people - if a rod goes down = less expense, less headache, peace of mind when fishing. Resale value is higher on a mfg rod as well. And...most people don't have 20 rods for each application that they can go and grab out of the gargae - most have their favorite rod and if that happens to be custom, when it breaks you could be without it for the entire season (ya know how short some of our seasons are these days).

#505512 - 04/30/09 04:32 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: lavro8]
Batson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sequim
I have to agree a bit with Brewer mostly because I think he is being modest of build time but buying the exact same blank and components that you could buy already built as a factory rod would not give you much difference other than possible some price saving if in fact the builder took the same amount of time to build as the factory, for most Factories it would be 2 hours actual work time max to build. For the most part there is nothing wrong with a factory built rod for someone who does not know the difference and is why you’re asking.

Here are some things to look for when purchasing a factory built rod that most Custom builders would have as the normal operating procedure!
1) Make sure the cork is perfectly reamed
2) Handle is perfectly glued: No glue voids or dry spots, no glue mess around the threads where it meets the cork or exposed seat section.
3) Rod is spined if possible assuming the manufacture does that
4) Guide feet are prepped perfectly
5) Thread is wrapped tight meaning no gaps or very few
6) Guides are as close to straight as possible if not perfectly straight
7) Finish coat is covering all thread, as in no thread lines showing or very minimal thread lines showing
8) Back of guide feet tunnels are completely sealed with finish coat aka back filled, I actually apply one thin coat wait 12 hours and then apply a second thin coat for complete level coverage.
9) Rod is cleaned and polished.
If your factory rod has all of this then you would not gain anything by having one built other than saying it was “assembled” by a Rod Builder. If you assemble it your self then you have the satisfaction of that and that means a lot to me personally like tying your own fly or jig.

Now something else to think about that your factory rod purchase experience might not have:
1)Talk with a custom rod builder with experience and ask his advise on what rod blank would work the best for you for how you plan to fish.
2) Have him choose the components that work best with the rod as well as color
3) Have him inspect blank for straightness and possible damage
3) Have him place the guides in the best place for the rod
4) Have him choose the handle that’s most comfortable for you
5) Have him use or order your favorite thread color

Keep in mind I’m trying to compare Apples to Apples aka meat and potatoes rod there are loads of options when having a rod Custom Built.

Now if you are an extreme rod collector or just want something different than any one else you could have your builder offer thread Art as well and too many to list or Hand turned or hand made handles. This adds time and cost, but is truly a custom rod. I actually have one that was built by a very good friend of mine Mark Crouse that took him over 150 hours of work to complete but I do not fish it and is priceless.

Just a few reasons off the top of my head but since I have been around rods for so long I’m a bit over observant to the minor details that most would not even notice. Take a peak at your rods you have now with some of the things I pointed out and see how your rod rates.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

#505520 - 04/30/09 04:45 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Batson]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Karry -

Very good post. I agree. I think you have made the important distinction between "rod enthusiast" and "rod user." I absolutely agree that an enthusiast would benefit from a custom rod. Unfortunately for me I don't have the time these days to be an enthusiast about my gear, as that would take away from the limited time I have to go fishing. So maybe the answer for the original poster depends on what category he/she falls into...

#505567 - 04/30/09 06:35 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
BERG Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: PA
Wow, good post Karry. I can't add much to that, other than a few reasons to go custom, aside from any quality issues/opinions...

1.) Personalize the rod with your name, quote, etc.
2.) You enjoy the process, much like a person who ties flies.
3.) Support small, local business.
4.) They make a great gift.
5.) You can make your wife a pink rod, which will sit in the rod rack.
5.) If your rod looks cool, you will catch more fish.

#505569 - 04/30/09 06:47 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: BERG]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i build mine because i cannot get them in the configuration i want from the factory. if i could, i'd be able to save money and just buy a production model.

catching fish with something you built yourself is always a plus, too.

#505575 - 04/30/09 07:20 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Batson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sequim
Nor cal I just noticed your from Sac I spent 20 years in Orangvale left in 98 when fishing was still amazing sorry to hear about the closure.

My friends used to build rods out of Bill Lang Shop back then. I doubt its around today though.

Anywise when I was young it had nothing to do with being a "rod enthusiast" I wanted to own and fish with the best "rod User" and at that time it was G Loomis IM6 but no way no how I could afford it at age 15 so I decided to give rod building a try and did not look back. It 1) SAVED ME MONEY a ton of money and I put on all the parts that I wanted. The first King I caught on that rod was 2)VERY REWARDING knowing that I had a hand in building that rod.I spent many hours sitting there watching my rod tip wiggle with K14 , M2, Rebels and plunking bait and decided If I have to stare at that rod all day it might as well looks 3) cosmetically killer as a matter a fact I had to throw a Mermaid decal on there just to keep me interested as I wait for the take downs LOL. Now with spiral wrap plugging rods,down rigger rods and carbon handles there is a huge difference between what you see on the rack not only cosmetic but 4)performance. Now with the new Micro guides spiral wrapped my Kokanee rods 6)flex perfectly not to mention are feather 5)light and sensitive. My Halibut rod also spiral wrapped has 6)saved me hours of pain due to the reduction of rod torque and 8)I absolutely love the feel of the new palm well design cork and textured exposed seat on my XST's. Now fly rods with ceramic guides 9)cast way better than wire guides but that's what the market is use to so they continue to use wire guides.

So after typing my story why I build my own rods I have 9 reason why to have a custom built rod.

1) SAVED ME MONEY
2)VERY REWARDING
3) cosmetically
4)performance
5)flex perfectly
6)light and sensitive
7)saved me hours of pain from reduction of Torque
8)I absolutely love the feel
9)cast way better

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc
Ph: (877) 875-2381

#505579 - 04/30/09 07:28 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Batson]
fishnbear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: A coastal river with fish
all I own is custom rods, I like differnt guides and wraps, as well as a no question asked warrenty.

#505581 - 04/30/09 07:42 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Batson]
BERG Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Batson
I spent many hours sitting there watching my rod tip wiggle with K14 , M2, Rebels and plunking bait and decided If I have to stare at that rod all day it might as well looks 3) cosmetically killer as a matter a fact I had to throw a Mermaid decal on there just to keep me interested as I wait for the take downs LOL.

Spend all day looking at a rod like this in the sun, and you can actually forget your fishing.....

#505584 - 04/30/09 07:53 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: fishnbear]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
Hello Karry, this weekend was to be the first trip out for that new Halibut Rod spiral wrapped by Bill won at the Kitsap CCA Auction but now looks like it will be to much wind so it will have to wait to get wet..........Chuck G

#505586 - 04/30/09 08:06 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: N W Panhandler]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Don't get me wrong...I see the value in a custom rod for all of the reasons that have been mentioned. I just know it is not for me. With the limited time I have and the desire for a foolproof warranty, I have to go with a mfg rod. Like most of what we do, it all comes down to personal preference. Chances are I will see it differently someday - maybe when I retire or win the lotto...

#505596 - 04/30/09 09:07 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: dewbie]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: dewbie
never go back to manufactured poles.

huh huh huh, huh huh huh, huh huh huh, you said pole.

#505707 - 05/01/09 02:54 AM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: fish4brains]
Brewer Offline

brewer has built many poles and not one qualifys as be custom. i'm not going to mention the board members name, but he told me so. couple years back a kalama SH.net tilla, it got crashed buy someone from this site. brewer had several of his (lack of better term) custom poles leaning against my subourbon. this joker board member from here just spazzed on how hidious they were crafted. he went on and on about them. brewer listened and finally handed todd a IPA to just shut him up!

#505720 - 05/01/09 03:26 AM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Brewer]
dbl spey Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle, wa
Wrapping/building rods is a cool thing to do. If you have the time and you dig it, do it. If you dont, dont.

We could have almost the same debate on buying flies or tying your own...

#505749 - 05/01/09 11:11 AM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: dbl spey]
Brewer Offline

dblspey just nailed it. turning a rod can be cool. time is like money these days. just not enough to go around. if you got the time then build a rod. get with carry he is very helpfull.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 894 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645401 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |