THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#578048 - 02/02/10 01:45 AM Wet your hands?
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Hey, All,

When I get ready to unhook a fish I plan to release, I always wet my hands before handling the fish. I have found this leaves virtually no slime on my hands, which tells me that slime is likely staying on the fish, where it belongs. The fish also seem to thrash around a lot less when I handle them wet. Right or wrong, I have convinced myself this is the only way to go.

When I watch fishing on TV, I rarely see people wet their hands before grabbing hold. This makes me wonder if it's me or everyone else who is crazy.

What say the rest of you? Am I a fish handling saint or a misguided fool with wet sleeves?

#578065 - 02/02/10 02:10 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

All about confidence in fish handling... firm grasp and not flinching when the fish tries to lunge away.

Wet hands make the fish more slippery and difficult to grasp without good confident technique. An experienced fish handler generally won't have a problem with a wet hand, but a novice is likely to let go, allowing the fish to thrash, beat itself on the rocks, or simply require multiple time-consuming attempts to get the fish under control.

Best is obviously a no-touch quick release with a de-hooker, but if a hero shot is desired, it's sometimes MUCH quicker for the inexperienced to have dry hands, a soft mesh liner, or a fabric/wool glove to make it easier to handle the fish.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#578068 - 02/02/10 02:17 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Thank you for pointing out that, lest I forget, the ultimate technique involves no contact at all. applause

That certainly gave me some food for thought. Thanks for the insight. As of now, however, I am still wetting my hands....

#578103 - 02/02/10 08:45 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
I am assuming that we are discussing fish to be released. If so I find that if I'm taking care of the fish to be release properly they are all ready wet and there is not a need to wet my hands. I find it difficult to grasp the fish I'm going to released without getting my hands wet before touching the fish.

And yes I'm another that at the end of a successful day usually has wet sleeves.

Tight lines
curt

#578109 - 02/02/10 09:54 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: Smalma]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

I agree with wetting your hands if you're going to release the fish. It doesn't seem like a problem remember to get them wet, especially if you keep the fish in the water, your hands are going to be wet anyway.

Regarding wet sleeve? I don't wear cotton long sleeves on the river ever, ever, ever... I have been wearing that Simms insulated shell. I've had my arm in the river a time or two releasing a fish. It will dry out a short time later. The fleece shirt I was wearing under it took a little longer to dry out.

#578113 - 02/02/10 10:10 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: SRoffe]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Unless a pic is in the formula, a quick twist of the split ring plier sends a fish on its way without touching it. I seldom carry a camera, but have taken a pic or two from time to time. Since I usually fish by myself, handling fish that are to be released is almost a non-entitly.

There seems to be two lines of thought about wetting hands. I would guess that from a fish's point of view, wetter is better.

#578137 - 02/02/10 11:42 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: ParaLeaks]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
They usually get wet just before the grip & grin.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#578147 - 02/02/10 12:07 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Yes, always.

#578148 - 02/02/10 12:08 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
By far, the biggest threats to a steelhead to be released are a mortal bleed and overexhaustion (hypoxia and lactic acidosis). If you can do it quick with a wet hand, great. I usually compromise and use a wet glove. Every time I go gloveless, I get frustrated by how much longer it takes me to get control of the fish for the release, especially with big wild steelhead.

Edited by Wild Chrome (02/02/10 12:09 PM)

#578153 - 02/02/10 12:23 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: Wild Chrome]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It's definitely been a good day when no matter how good my rainjacket works, I'm wet up to my elbows inside of it. Nuf sed.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#578183 - 02/02/10 01:42 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: Todd]
edgerat Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia
my favorite is when you see them grab the fish with a towel.....
We have reached the time in the life of the planet, and humanity's demand upon it, when every fisherman will have to be a riverkeeper, a steward of marine shallows... We are beyond having to put back what we have taken out. We must put back more than we take out. Tom Mcguane

#578207 - 02/02/10 03:17 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: edgerat]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I have a no handling policy, just pull the hook with pliers and kick them back down the beach with my boot. If I pull them up too far, it requires several kicks.

#578220 - 02/02/10 04:10 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: Rocket Red]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I have a similiar no-handling policy too......but I always curse at the fish sternly for biting my hook before I kick 'em back in the water wink

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#578332 - 02/03/10 12:09 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: NOFISH]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Yes but do you wet your boot prior to kicking them?

I like a tailing glove by the way,

fb

#578351 - 02/03/10 01:28 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: fishbadger]
HookedUp Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Low Road
Flea,
I have nothing to add to this thread other than the fact that by appearance and candor I swear that you are Jon Gruden

#578357 - 02/03/10 06:16 AM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: HookedUp]
flywaterguides Offline
Egg

Always wet your hands. That is the biggest thing I teach with my clients. The other thing that drives me nuts is gloves, wool and fleece glove absorb all the slim from the fish like a sponge. If you plan on releasing fish wet your hands. If you can't handle fish then make sure you have a rubber net below the fish when you pick the fish up for photos. This will protect the fish from hitting rocks or the boat if you drop it. I see more fish injuried and killed from hitting the corner of a set box. Slim is important to a fish, and the fact is that in the northwest most of the guys fishing through out the winter chase steelhead or salmon. Fish that either die after spawning or return to the ocean. This makes it tough to see what happens to the fish 2-6 months down the road. Our rainbows in alaska that we fish for all year long show signs why not to wear glove and why to wet your hands. They have not slim to protect them, they get a fungus and slowly die to illness.

#578399 - 02/03/10 12:20 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: Rocket Red]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
Originally Posted By: Rocket Red
I have a no handling policy, just pull the hook with pliers and kick them back down the beach with my boot. If I pull them up too far, it requires several kicks.

Don't forget the several kicks it takes to get the fish up onto the rocks. I try to minimize this with a little move I call "the field goal"

#578409 - 02/03/10 12:35 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: Wild Chrome]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: Wild Chrome
I usually compromise and use a wet glove. Every time I go gloveless, I get frustrated by how much longer it takes me to get control of the fish for the release, especially with big wild steelhead.

+1

I go w/ the wet glove route, way better grip for me. Wet hand on a big nate tail & it will squirt out on me 90% of the time. Unless the thing holds really still.

Just limpwristed I guess......... evil

c/22

#578431 - 02/03/10 01:11 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: chrome/22]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I wet my lips before I kiss em goodbye

#578440 - 02/03/10 01:52 PM Re: Wet your hands? [Re: Coho]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
We have a winner!

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 495 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |