THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#628714 - 10/18/10 05:23 PM Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test?
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Moscow, Idaho
Yesterday, while fishing Idaho's Clearwater, I lost a large, hot fish that I never saw. I was float fishing while using 30# fireline Crystal and 8# Ultragreen leader. My drag was appropriately loose, but after a couple of minutes, the fish's head-shakes snapped the 8# leader (not at the knot). I like braid for float fishing for mending purposes, and I plan to use 10# Ultragreen leaders from now on.

Can anyone suggest a braided line, which floats well and will work with a 10 pound Ultragreen leader. I do not want to snap off anymore large steelhead this winter.

Thank you,

Jake

#628716 - 10/18/10 05:34 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: steelheader316]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

I think you've got the right idea. Perhaps you're leader was just a little light for the fish. It happens.

I have been using Powerpro 30# for float fishing.

#628718 - 10/18/10 05:36 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: SRoffe]
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks man,
Think 10# Ultragreen will stand up to 30# Powerpro?

#628719 - 10/18/10 05:37 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: steelheader316]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

It may not matter much. Braid doesn't stretch. Whatever the length of your leader, it doesn't stretch much. Something has to take up those head shakes, either in the form of slack line (catenary curve of braided line in the water could do) or give from your fishing rod. If there's nothing giving in to those head shakes, then the leader will break unless it's really, really heavy.

Sg

#628721 - 10/18/10 05:40 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: Salmo g.]
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Clarkston Wa
You might want to bump up to 12lb test some of those fish can be beasts!

Dances

Doug Richert
www.Hellscanyonsportfishing.com

#628722 - 10/18/10 05:44 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: Salmo g.]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I usually use 14 # original Fireline to a swivel, to 12 # UG. The leader choice depends a lot on your rod. Fast, powerful rods do not work well with light leader, especially if you're using braid. (the leader breaks)

Sorry about your fish. It happens to everyone.

#628723 - 10/18/10 05:44 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: steelheader316]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
I have been really happy with Tuff line xp. I prefer yellow, then use a sharpy to darken about 10ft. of the line. However, you most likely do not need to.

I have also heard really good things about the power pro. Whatever you do, stay away from the Hydrofloat, it flat out sucks! coating comes off with bobber stop......

#628725 - 10/18/10 05:50 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: big moby]
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for the input gentlemen, any suggestions on a spinning float rod, I was thinking of purchasing a Loomis 11'4" STFR1363S Mod-Fast Med-Light rod to help with shock absorption.

#628726 - 10/18/10 05:52 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: steelheader316]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: steelheader316
Thanks man,
Think 10# Ultragreen will stand up to 30# Powerpro?

That is a very strange way to phrase that question. Are you asking if 10# Ultragreen will break at the same pressure as 30# Powerpro? If so, the answer is "no".

Most float fishermen use either 20# or 30# braid to a mono leader (I use a barrell swivel between the two). The leader size will be primarily dictated by water conditions and fish. It sounds like your braid had nothing to do with you losing your fish (which is how it should go).

#628728 - 10/18/10 05:59 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I understand that 8# leader will break much more easily than 30# braid, as well as the fact that some fish will be lost regardless, i just meant would 10# Ultragreen generally hold up a leader material with 30# braid.

The Clearwater generally runs light green to gin clear most of the season, and I would prefer to use 10 rather than 12# leader; after 15 years fishing it, I have gotten bit more using 10# that 12#.

I was basically wondering if I could get away with 10# leader most of the time.

#628731 - 10/18/10 06:05 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: steelheader316]
StinkingWaters Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Termite Country
B-runs are beasts. Had one pull apart a two-way barrell on me once.

I like 30# Power Pro or 30# Power Pro HiVis (when I can find it) and 12lb UG. Sounds like 10# UG may be better for the water you're fishing as opposed to the 12#.

Have to admit I'm with KD on your question about the 10# UG.

Hold up as a leader material?

Yep, it will just fine.

#628732 - 10/18/10 06:06 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: ]
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Abu,

You're right, It was a big fish and it happens. Just wanted to double-check and see if I was doing it wrong.

Thanks for the input anyway.

Jake

#628733 - 10/18/10 06:08 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: ]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis

You could run 4lb leader and 30 lb braid and get away with it....with the right rod and drag setting. Your thinking into it waaay too much.

This.

I use 8# leaders on summer fish, on 30# braid all the time, and almost never lose a fish due to a break off. You need to think of it this way: The braid will not stretch or break. A 3' leader will only stretch the tiniest bit. So something else has to cushion the fight of the fish.

That something else is your rod and your reel.

#628734 - 10/18/10 06:13 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: Rocket Red]
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Any rod ideas out there, I have a Shimano Stradic with a nice drag, but the rod I have now id only 10' and I was thinking of going with 11' or more, for more cushion.

#628736 - 10/18/10 06:24 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: steelheader316]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
The "cushion" the rod will generate is as much dictated by the action of the rod as it is by the length. You could have a flimsy 8 foot rod that provides a lot of cushion or a 15 foot rod that is stiff and provides none. Most people fish longer float rods in order to help mend the floating braid and/or keep the braid off the water entirely.

A 10' or 11' float rod is about right for most people although everyone has their preference. I use a Loomis 1263 and consider it a great float rod.
Seeing as how you want cushion, you're likely to start looking at "noodle rods" (long and super-soft). I'd avoid these rods as they lack the backbone to land fish quickly when/if you need to do so.
Good luck. If you are already breaking off big fish, you're basically doing it all right. Just bump the leader strength up a couple of notches.

#628739 - 10/18/10 06:55 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
The "cushion" the rod will generate is as much dictated by the action of the rod as it is by the length. You could have a flimsy 8 foot rod that provides a lot of cushion or a 15 foot rod that is stiff and provides none. Most people fish longer float rods in order to help mend the floating braid and/or keep the braid off the water entirely.

A 10' or 11' float rod is about right for most people although everyone has their preference. I use a Loomis 1263 and consider it a great float rod.
Seeing as how you want cushion, you're likely to start looking at "noodle rods" (long and super-soft). I'd avoid these rods as they lack the backbone to land fish quickly when/if you need to do so.
Good luck. If you are already breaking off big fish, you're basically doing it all right. Just bump the leader strength up a couple of notches.

What he said. I'd add that the length of the rod is more relative to the distance of the mends than the action on the fish. Bigger water = longer rod. Bigger fish = strong rod with bigger line & leader. A moderate action rod, will help cushion the leader a bit if you want to fish the light stuff, but don't get a real powerful rod, as that will stress the light leader too.

#628741 - 10/18/10 07:02 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: steelheader316]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: steelheader316
I understand that 8# leader will break much more easily than 30# braid, as well as the fact that some fish will be lost regardless, i just meant would 10# Ultragreen generally hold up a leader material with 30# braid.

The Clearwater generally runs light green to gin clear most of the season, and I would prefer to use 10 rather than 12# leader; after 15 years fishing it, I have gotten bit more using 10# that 12#.

I was basically wondering if I could get away with 10# leader most of the time.

I can assure you that if you fished 12# test more often you wouldn't notice the difference in hook-ups vs. the 10# test...

The rod protects the line, use the right rod, Loomis 1141, 1082 or 1162 and you can dictate your leader size...

Keith

#628743 - 10/18/10 07:08 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: stlhdr1]
F-J Offline
Fry

Maybe you had a nick in the leader and it failed when tested. Check the full length of your leader often for abrasions.

#628772 - 10/18/10 09:51 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: F-J]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Like already said, "It happens", even when you do everything right. I've had fish that wouldn't quit rolling and vertually ran me out of stretch when it wrapped itself up in the leader. Bye Bye. smile

#628806 - 10/18/10 11:19 PM Re: Braided Line for float fishing: Brand % Test? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Daniel Offline
Smolt

Use 10lb invisibraid. It cast much better than the 30lb, mends much better, and is much stronger than 10 or 12lb UG, so you won't have to worry about it breaking and loosing your float. My 2cents

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |