Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#704374 - 09/15/11 03:14 PM Slinky Question
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
If I wanted to make my own slinkies, where would I purchase the shot to load into the parachute cord?

Do any of the sporting goods shops sell shot for re-loaders?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#704377 - 09/15/11 03:36 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: MartyMoose]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
You can buy jugs of it from any tackle shop. Normally around $20.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#704378 - 09/15/11 03:41 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: steeliedrew]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
wal-mart.

#704382 - 09/15/11 03:45 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: MartyMoose]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
There is ballistic quality shot and reject shot....no need to pay for ballistic shot for slinkys.
There is standard size and magnum size. When slinkys first came around, circa 1985, they were standard size, which is about 20-22 caliber and its associated para cord.

Then magnum para cord became available which allowed .250 - .270 dia shot. I evenually converted to magnum size and abandoned standard size.
I use those plastic key tags with the durable hook that you can get at the office supply stores to organize the various sizes. It gets where you go to a known run and know that it take a "seven shot" magnum slinky. I mark the plastic key tags 3 through about 11 so I can quickly reload if need be.

Now after dragging you through that, slinky (reject) shot is available at any decent sporting good store.

Edit:
We used to use basket ball net cord to get magnum size before the olive drab became available....sometime we had some weird colors laugh

#704385 - 09/15/11 03:48 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: Direct-Drive]
bongo Offline
Parr

Loc: BC
just cut pencil lead into shots.

#704387 - 09/15/11 03:51 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: bongo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: bongo
just cut pencil lead into shots.

Yeah you can do that.
The trick is to score it deeply every 1/4" with a sidecutter and slip the whole thing into the para cord. Then after the slinky is built, break the pencil lead apart.

#704388 - 09/15/11 03:53 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: Direct-Drive]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
Pencil lead you say......hmmmm

Thanks everyone, i appreciate the advice.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#704389 - 09/15/11 04:01 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: MartyMoose]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: MartyMoose
Pencil lead you say......hmmmm

Thanks everyone, i appreciate the advice.

Score it every 1/4"

#704402 - 09/15/11 05:11 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: Direct-Drive]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
There is standard size and magnum size.

I believe there are even far more sizes than that now. ALL of it is EXTREMELY overpriced now. That being said, I wouldn't go back to pencil lead.

#704404 - 09/15/11 05:21 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Any tackle shop should have slinky making chit.If they don't have it then they are way behind times and still stuck in the 70's and is shockingley still in business.Good luck,
SZ

#704411 - 09/15/11 06:08 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Brewer Offline

i still prefer the pencil lead over the slinky system. why you ask? it's just plain faster. that is if you figure the time and expense put into purchasing [censored] and then the invested time in actually making them.

but helll if you got that much money and time to burn... well slinky buiding is for you.

#704419 - 09/15/11 06:41 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: Brewer]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

I build my slinky's in the off-season in front of the TV @ night with the family after dinner.Some times it's a family affair.Like 2Many said,it's fun for both boy's & girl's.Good luck,
SZ

Gives me something to after dark and when it's raining.

#704476 - 09/15/11 09:51 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
when i fish slinkies, i leave a lot less of them on the bottom than i do with pencil lead, so it probably breaks even somewhere.

i prefer them to pencil lead, since it filters out the bottom and you feel bites a little better. just can't seem to find the time to get around to making them enough, though.

#704482 - 09/15/11 10:09 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: Chum Man]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

A friend moved away and gave me a bunch of fly tying and other assorted fishing tackle, including a jug of shot, slinky cord, and a shot stuffer-rammer thingy. How does one figure out how many shot to put in each slinky? And do you vary the weights by a single shot, or two, or three? I got the stuff, but I've never figured out what to do with it.

Sg

#704490 - 09/15/11 10:27 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: Salmo g.]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Loc: Grays Harbor
I don't like slinkies just because I prefer to pour cheap pencil lead. Gonna suck to have to move to slag and babbit with lead wheel weights being banned but oh well.

The ones I did make and still a lot of I varied them by 2 shot just to have a variance that I could feel and made a real difference in faster or deeper water. 2, 4, 6 and 8 count is all I made. I do like them, just easier to pour pencil lead.

Edited by fish_4_all (09/15/11 10:28 PM)

#704521 - 09/15/11 11:26 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: fish_4_all]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
used 'em, don't like 'em
there are a few stretches of water where I think they fish better than pencil lead, but not enough for me to bother with. but I'll pick them up when I find them. smile

#704585 - 09/16/11 12:06 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: ParaLeaks]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

I use two sizes:
.210 for side drifting.I make them in 4,6,8,10 shot.
.300 for down and dirty dredging.I make them in 5,6,7,8,10 shot.
Good luck,
SZ

#704586 - 09/16/11 12:13 PM Re: Slinky Question [Re: Salmo g.]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
A friend moved away and gave me a bunch of fly tying and other assorted fishing tackle, including a jug of shot, slinky cord, and a shot stuffer-rammer thingy. How does one figure out how many shot to put in each slinky? And do you vary the weights by a single shot, or two, or three? I got the stuff, but I've never figured out what to do with it.

Sg

Salmo,

1. Light a candle (this is actually NOT a joke).
2. Take the parachute cord and hold it with some needle nose pliars with a little tag end of cord coming out one side of the pliars.
3. Hold the tag end of cord over the candle. It will melt/smoke/catch on fire until it burns up to the edge of your pliars.
4. Cut several feet of cord so you now have one end sealed and the other end open.
5. Stuff a bunch of that shot into the open end of the cord. It can be a PITA but slide them down towards the sealed end. Now, you should have a giant string of cord with shot that you can make into a bunch of slinkies.
6 . Start making different size slinkies. I'd say I use more "5 ball" and "7 ball" slinkies than anything else but I go as low as 3 and as high as 14. I try to get the biggest shot I can get at the store so the shot size obviously matters too.
7. Sealing off the other end is similar to what you did in step 3. You generally want them tight so they look like a sausage and not like an orange in a gym sock.

I generally just attach them to my swivel by getting the swivel through some of the cord. Other people are more refined and actually burn/punch a hold through the cord. Slinkies are noticably less dense than standard lead and they take a lot of the traditional "feel" of drift fishing away because there isn't much of a "tick tick" feeling and the distinction between bites and the tapping/ticking isn't usually as pronounced. Once you get used to it though, I'm firmly convinced it is a better way for most drift fishing as you will lose less gear. I usually grab a couple of the most common sizes out of my box and either throw them my vest or the front of the boat so I can quickly swap sizes just like people do with pencil lead.

-AP

#704760 - 09/17/11 11:19 AM Re: Slinky Question [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Brewer Offline

once again youtube is your friend.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Carcassman), 1459 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |