Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#740601 - 02/14/12 05:00 PM Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.

Good news! Thanks to your efforts contacting your Senators yesterday along with the support of several key legislators, SB 5661 was the last bill to pass the Senate last night – it passed by a vote of 47-1!
We want to recognize the efforts of Senators Sharon Nelson (D – Maury Island) – the bill’s primary sponsor, Senator Kevin Ranker (D-Friday Harbor) – who pushed for a floor vote, and Senator Val Stevens (R-Arlington) – who pulled it from the Senate Rules Committee.
As you know, SB 5661 requires mandatory reporting of lost or abandoned commercial fishing gear (primarily gillnets). Current state law merely “encourages” reporting of these “ghost nets” and the system clearly hasn’t work with just a handful of nets voluntarily reported since 2002. During the same period approximately 300 new nets were lost in Puget Sound. Annually this deadly gear kills tens of thousands of fish (including endangered salmon and rockfish), birds and other wildlife and harms important underwater habitat.
With the strong vote in the Senate the bill now moves onto the House, where it will receive a hearing this Friday.
We need you to contact your Representatives NOW and urge them to support the passage of SB 5661. Click the link below to send your message, which we have pre-drafted for you. You are free to edit it, but it is important that you contact your two Representatives today!

Click the link below to log in and send your message:
http://www.votervoice.net/link/target/ccapnw/5bzE2Kiy.aspx

#740694 - 02/14/12 08:49 PM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: N W Panhandler]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

bumpty bump

#740702 - 02/14/12 09:05 PM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: N W Panhandler]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Sent my thanks to Sen. Stevens who is in my district. She is in contact with my district's reps to support it in the House.

Edited by Sebastes (02/14/12 09:06 PM)

#740760 - 02/15/12 12:09 AM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: Sebastes]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

DONE!

C'mon folks.... let's bring down the HOUSE!

Thanks to CCA for coordinating this effort.

FYI... you do NOT need to be a CCA member to use voter-voice. The system just makes it stupid-easy to get the message to YOUR legislators based on your home address.

Thanks to any and all PP'ers for participating!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#740818 - 02/15/12 11:20 AM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: eyeFISH]
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#741070 - 02/16/12 11:30 AM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: Fishinnut]
DL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodiville
I heard that the bill was not allowed to get out for a vote in the House. I would like to know what Representative held it in committee so it couldn't be voted on. We need to raise the noise level for that person and committee. Very disappointing, considering the overwhelming vote in the Senate.

#741164 - 02/16/12 05:27 PM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: ]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Looks like TVW will carry this live at 8:00am.

#741212 - 02/16/12 08:49 PM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: slabhunter]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
One can also call the hotline 1.800.562.6000 to leave a message to your Representatives.

#741269 - 02/17/12 01:19 AM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: slabhunter]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

If this does not pass out of committee or in the House, members of non profit orgs. need to be careful, in order to protect the tax status of any particular non profit. That means designated signatures in particular. One side wont care, but the opponents could raise a fuss. At the very least, noone wants to make the rounds apologiziing. juss sayin...

#741430 - 02/17/12 06:50 PM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: Fast and Furious]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

#741445 - 02/17/12 08:06 PM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: N W Panhandler]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Next,
Feb 21 Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Agriculture & Natural Resources at 10:00 AM. (Subject to change)

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#741526 - 02/17/12 11:26 PM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: Lucky Louie]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwplayer&eventID=2012021070

Go to minute 1:41:00 Bill was already introduced and cut away to other bills and returned to 5661

#741555 - 02/18/12 12:50 AM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: Lucky Louie]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
My take on the main points of concern with the bill seemed to be:

1. ID: First, it was noted that there is a lack of a requirement that nets have identification on them which some testified should be required. Others opined that such ID could be lost during fishing ops or after loss of a particular net. WDFW's Burley stated that WDFW can require ID on gear to include nets.

2. Lack of Funding: NW Straits Commission testified that since their inception in 2002 they have removed almost 4,000 nets all with grant money. The last of that was $4.6 MM in Fed stimulus which ran out 31 Dec 11 which they used to remove almost 2,500 nets. Their representative said that they do not have any money to effect removal of nets which might be reported but could have an on call team available for $100-$150 K per year. The Chair, Sen. Ranker, opined to the WDFW's Craig Burley that WDFW should give them the money.

3. Penalty: There is no penalty and there were suggestions to add a penalty for not timely reporting a lost net. A certain amount of confusion and hand wringing over the idea of establishing a penalty for losing a net versus (1) not having ID on a net being fished or (2) not calling in when a net is lost. Fear that if a fisher is penalized for losing a net they will not report it. Again, it seemed those who were concerned were confused about the proposed requirement and what would trigger a penalty.

If you have the time it might be worth actually hearing the testimony.

No one spoke against the bill.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#741563 - 02/18/12 01:30 AM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: Larry B]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Since they allow netting and no fault reporting, I dont see the point in fines, unless they continue to not report. The more we ask for the steeper the climb. Crab pots were marked and noone cared until NWS made it a priority. It would be great, if the crabbers would give coordinates. It would probably save a sheet load of crab, since they can survive about 50 days in the pot. I dont personally know how far down they drop their pots. Over 105 feet and it calls for a different protocol for diving.

#741573 - 02/18/12 02:19 AM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: Fast and Furious]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
Since they allow netting and no fault reporting, I dont see the point in fines, unless they continue to not report.

The problem seems to be that despite the current "no fault" voluntary reporting program lost nets are simply not being reported. NW Straits Commission estimated 10-30 nets lost each year and depending upon who is talking there have been either zero or two lost nets called in by fishers. Hence the concern that a requirement to report is essentially toothless unless a fisher can be held accountable for a lost but not reported net. And that accountability can only occur if there is a requirement to have an identification on each net so that if a lost net is subsequently recovered it can be identified and records searched to determine if its loss was properly reported.

Or we can simply continue status quo which no one seems to support.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#742407 - 02/22/12 11:17 AM Re: Action Alert Senate Bill 5661 moves to the House [Re: Larry B]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

During the executive session Feb 21, ESB5661 was reported out of committee Do pass 13-0.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |