THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#747043 - 03/13/12 09:11 PM Shopping for new waders - recommendations?
Dee Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
I've got a few bucks (~$300) set aside for a new pair of waders. (Taking 3rd in the NSIA poker tournament was a big boost, thanks 3 Rivers, you guys rock.)

Are the Redingtons wading pants a suitable alternative to chest waders for winter fishing? I'm not worried about the waist height, but rather the lightweight insulation. Am I going to freeze?

How are the Redingtons in general? Zippered vs. non-zippered.

Are the Simms worth the money?

What dark horse brand am I overlooking?

#747048 - 03/13/12 09:29 PM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Dee]
redhook
Unregistered

Simms are worth every penny... their base model Freestones are quite good as well... last season i bought some River Walk waders, they were around 200 without boots, and honestly, i love them... havent had any issues whatsoever...

as far as freezing, wear sweats and or long johns...

i personally dont care for anything Reddington, but their waders are better than most people give them credit for...

could always just get 3 pairs of Hodgmans as well...

#747058 - 03/13/12 10:21 PM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: ]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
check CL and yard sales.

#747064 - 03/13/12 10:35 PM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: ]
Brad_tgl Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Lots of opinions on a subject like this because some guys sit in a boat, others hike miles on end, and some do a little of both. It also depends on one's body type as well. Some guys complain of rubbing of material but I don't seem to have that issue with a lanky frame.

Anyways, two of my buddies and I bought the base line Freestones from Simms a few years back and found them to be prone to leaking. Up from their baseline model I've heard nothing but good things.

The last two seasons I've worn Reddington CPX breathables and would give them a solid B on the grade scale. When I do buy a new pair I'll be stepping up to the Sonic Pro line as my dad has liked his so far.

As far as a dark horse brand I'm thinking Dan Baileys. Plenty of friends swear by them and their customer service.

Good luck in your search.

#747065 - 03/13/12 10:37 PM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Brad_tgl]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Dan Bailey's is my wader of choice, for what it's worth...won't likely be buying anything other than DB's for the foreseeable future.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#747080 - 03/13/12 11:09 PM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: ]
Hot magic Offline
Smolt

Loc: West Seattle
Redingtons sonic-pro welded, really comfortable fit. No holes from stitching or bluk!

#747095 - 03/14/12 12:08 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Hot magic]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simms-G3-Guide-W...=item27c3c000dc
check these. I just got a pair. G3's with G4' straps and 100$ less then MSRP. Gore Tex waders you cant go wrong with them.
Had the Redington Cpx 8 out 10 on them but lasted 2 years too baggy and thats were they leaked. I herd the Sonic pros were baggy as hell too.

Edited by Rag N Steel (03/14/12 12:11 AM)

www.badcatboats.com

#747100 - 03/14/12 12:29 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Rag N Steel]
Bigjim Offline
will always be a Juvenile at Sea

Tried the redington cpx last year lasted two to three trips before getting wet in the knees. Very baggy, still need to send them back. Moved over to entry Simms for a test. Will let you know how they hold up next time this thread is made.

#747106 - 03/14/12 01:09 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Rag N Steel]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: Rag N Steel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simms-G3-Guide-W...=item27c3c000dc
check these. I just got a pair. G3's with G4' straps and 100$ less then MSRP.

Interesting. Those look like and older model guide wader. Every year Simms puts out a "limited edition" guide version of their G4 wader, available to pro/guide staff only. I think this version is a year or two old. Still solid of course.

I wonder if someone is going to get in trouble...

Simms = like

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#747109 - 03/14/12 01:35 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Todd]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: Todd
Dan Bailey's is my wader of choice, for what it's worth...won't likely be buying anything other than DB's for the foreseeable future.

Fish on...

Todd

+1

#747121 - 03/14/12 09:10 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Dave Vedder]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Reddington sonic pro non zipper for this guy. I had an issue with the zipper fronts that I'm pretty sure was from rowing, i.e. being seated for long periods of time messed the zipper up. Switched to the non zippers and love em. Not baggy at all if you buy a pair that fits. wink

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#747124 - 03/14/12 10:03 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: steeliedrew]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Dan Bailey. Quality product and exceptional customer service.

#747127 - 03/14/12 10:22 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Bigjim Offline

Just curious, can you go into more depth on how a zipper fails from sitting? Just doesn't make sense to me. I had the zip fronts and the zipper never failed, the only way I could see it failing would be from

1. jumping up and down in the boat
2. Bending over a lot.
3. Or having an enormous torso and twisting a lot.

#747132 - 03/14/12 10:42 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Bigjim]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
It separated at the lower portion of the zipper. I noticed that when I was rowing the zipper would bunch up. Pretty sure the stress from that caused the failure. Was it a fluke? Maybe. Was the convenience of the zipper enough for me to want another pair...no.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#747133 - 03/14/12 11:00 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: steeliedrew]
Bigjim Offline

I always worried about that when I was sitting. I would unzip completely when driving. Thanks for the info, good to know in case I get another zip front.

#747136 - 03/14/12 11:16 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: steeliedrew]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
[quote=steeliedrewm Was the convenience of the zipper enough for me to want another pair...no. [/quote]

Makes sense to me. But, once you need to pee every hour and a half it might change. blush

#747142 - 03/14/12 11:29 AM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Dave Vedder]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
I love my Sonic Pro Redingtons. Havent fished much lately but shot a ton of ducks and geese while wearing them over the past 7 months and they have been fantastic.

#747188 - 03/14/12 02:14 PM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: D3Smartie]
Loomis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Maybe Bob will chime in with how his sonic pros held up. he turned his into a low water pair.

#747201 - 03/14/12 03:00 PM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Loomis]
Brant Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Another recommendation for Dan Baileys. I typically cover some ground when fishing as opposed to sitting in a boat. Often find myself off trail or places where waders shouldn't be, i.e. in devils club and blackberries. Going on year three without any issues besides one hole that was my own dumb fault. My buddy's experiences have been the same.

#747204 - 03/14/12 03:07 PM Re: Shopping for new waders - recommendations? [Re: Brant]
Bigtrout15
Unregistered

I dont know anything about Dan baileys or simms but from what iv heard their warranties are the best. I run cabelas guide pro waders and Iv got 3 seasons on them and they have held up great. Anything from cabelas has an awesome warranty besides you have to personaly go there to get a new pair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1444 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |