Alaska promises to do better on Yukon River salmon
nternational salmon talks with the Yukon River Panel have wrapped up in Whitehorse.

In the last seven years, Alaska has delivered its salmon quotas on the Yukon River, twice.

This year, the Alaskans are promising to do better.

Andrew Bassich is the U.S. delegate from Eagle, Alaska.

"We've reduced our effort down to 10 per cent or less in some cases of what was caught,” Bassich says. “I used to be a King salmon fisherman but with the current situation with Kings I have voluntarily stopped my fishing of King salmon."

Same goes for Erik Weingarth, who fishes out of St. Mary's at the mouth of the Yukon River.

"I only had King salmon one supper this whole year so there's no question that we on the U.S. side are trying to meet our obligations under the treaty."

Yukon First Nations have called for a complete ban on Yukon River Chinook salmon fishing, but the Americans say they cannot impose such drastic measures.

Weingarth says Alaskan laws protect subsistence fishing rights, so a statewide ban isn't possible.

Still, Weingarth and Bassich maintain the voluntary bans combined with education, and other restrictions, are turning things around.

"We need to work very closely with the fishers, the people using the fish on the river, to get full compliance from them to voluntarily reduce or stop their fishing,” Bassich says. “That's the best we can do at this time.”

The Alaskans have already implemented numerous measures to limit the subsistence fishing for Chinook in the lower Yukon River, but the 2013 run is being characterized as the worst in recorded history.

Canadian fisheries authorities on the panel refused to talk about their closed door meetings, but have promised a written statement next week.

Share Tools
Report Typo Send Feedback
Facebook
Twitter

Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then.

Login | Signup
4 Comments

Submit
Follow
storm-in-yukon
storm-in-yukon
I think the US has made some very commendable changes the last couple of years. We do need to hear about whether the low return into Canada was actually due to the sonar programs being off or undereported subsistence Alaskan catches.

I would like to hear some promises from DFO as well. Where are the mesh size restrictions in Canada and why are staff asking for voluntary closures when they know the spawning goal would be 11,000 short.

We leader leadership on both sides of the border to save ... » more

13 hours ago 1 Like

Bush snipe
Bush snipe
No offense ... but your promises mean nothing. If you want to save these fish, then there needs to be a complete moratorium on catching Chinook. Leave them alone until the stocks return. At that time, and only then, there has to be firm and enforceable guidelines on how many fish can be harvested.

17 hours ago 0 Likes

North_of_60
North_of_60
The only effective measure would be "a complete ban on Yukon River Chinook salmon fishing, but the Americans say they cannot impose such drastic measures.
Weingarth says Alaskan laws protect subsistence fishing rights, so a statewide ban isn't possible."

Promises? yeah right. Alaskans haven't done anything effective to deal with this in the past so it's quite unlikely they will do anything but make hollow promises and more excuses for the future. The simple fact that the wasteful by-catch ... » more

18 hours ago 0 Likes

Akimajuktuq
Akimajuktuq
Well, as long as they "promise" to do better, well then, no worries. smh Hey, I wonder what's been done lately to address Chinook salmon by-catch in the Alaskan Pollock industry? Why do I never hear that issue discussed along with inshore fishing in Alaska? Last time I checked there are still thousands of pounds of Chinook by-catch allowed before pollock fishing is stopped.... Yup wasting a more expensive fish for the sake of a cheaper one consumed by the masses (also likely being fished ... » more

19 hours ago 1 Like

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines. .... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/alaska-promises-to-do-better-on-yukon-river-salmon-1.2453680

r

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government