Comparing Streams in Southwest Washington to Determine the Needs of Salmon

Water is a large part of all living things. In creeks, organisms depend on water for survival. I wondered what salmon needed in order to survive in their habitat. I wanted to know why there hasn't been a large salmon run in Salmon Creek since the early 1900s. I know that back then there weren't many homes along Salmon Creek, but now there are more homes along the bank. I fear Salmon Creek is becoming polluted. I wanted to find out what the basic needs of salmon are by comparing local streams in southwest Washington, some of which have healthy salmon runs. I could then see if the salmon's needs were being met at Salmon Creek. The three streams I'm going to study are: a 20-year-old stream located in the Pumice Plane near Mount St. Helens; Cedar Creek, an established creek that has returning salmon runs; and the headwaters and lower reaches of Salmon Creek. I'm going to be looking at the habitat around the creeks and the condition of the creekbeds. I'm going to be taking notes on the pH and conductivity levels of the water. I'll also measure its temperature. If the water is too warm, then the salmon will die off.

Mount St. Helens National Monument, the location of Pumice Plane stream.

Mount St. Helens National Monument, the location of Pumice Plane stream.

August 8, 2002: It's a beautiful August morning and my brother is driving along the windy roads to the northeastern slope of Mount St. Helens. After a two-hour drive we pull into the Windy Ridge parking lot. As I get out my tools, a cool breeze ruffles my hair. We make our way down the loose pumice trail toward the Pumice Plane. I look at my thermometer. It shows 22°C. The cool wind catches the fragrance of purple prairie lupine flowers .... http://www.amnh.org/learn-teach/young-na...needs-of-salmon

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government