LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#934716 - 07/19/15 08:36 AM A few closures in WA.
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA

#934733 - 07/19/15 12:55 PM Re: A few closures in WA. [Re: fp]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Close it all, or close none of it.

I can think of several local streams that aren't affected by this rule and are (honestly) in no better shape than those being closed. Partial closures only put more pressure on streams that remain open. Diverting more effort toward marginally sustained fish populations can only serve to push those populations below the margin.

#934767 - 07/20/15 07:48 AM Re: A few closures in WA. [Re: fp]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Amazing that Region 6 is the only region without protection considering all the hot air coming from Larry, Curly, and Blake.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#934769 - 07/20/15 08:33 AM Re: A few closures in WA. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Well R-6 is different than many other places in the state. The OP streams should really get bad off soon as to flows with no snow pack, so something should be not that far off. For GH & Willapa we are rain driven and dry years with elevated water temps is not unusual. I imagine we will have the usual problems with the Nemah with hatchery fish stacking up and kickin the bucket. Our risk in GH will be in August & September with the bay fishery at greatest risk. The Johns river part of the bay is where Chinook transition and start staging up so a C&R mortality is always problematic but this year could be worse or not it just depends on what the fish do. If they arrive earlier than normal they will hold in the very lower reachs with no rain, that is when it can be ugly.

Similar in Willapa but different. Recs in 2T should be almost bullet proof as the fish are fresh as daisy's in salt mix and a very low mortality with C&R. Now U & M are different as this is where the Chinook transition and stage and C&R could be dicey to damn near Russian Roulette time for the fish. How the NT commercials fish should be interesting.

Coho not much to worry about as it is a full keep fishery. They will stage up after clearing the bay but the mortality is lower in river. Farther upstream the lower the mortality is as the fish are very durable. Our risk pretty much resides with Chinook staging in the bay and Aberdeen reach of the river.

Be interesting to see if the agency moves to a you catch it you keep for Coho. Ain't no way no how we can do C&R on Coho transitioning in the bay under normal circumstance let alone extreme conditions. There are ways to restructure our seasons to allow Rec harvest but in all likelihood things will have to be modified to protect the fish.

Edited by Rivrguy (07/20/15 08:36 AM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1400 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |