THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#945608 - 12/24/15 11:04 PM wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing?
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Wanted to find some waters closer to home (olympia) and scoped out Black Cr to Sterling Landing on the satellite maps.
I know it's short, something like 4 miles, which I'm fine with.
Anything on that stretch to worry about? or any other suggestions?

14' pontoon, ~70 hours rowing so far. Rowed Bogi Hatchery to Wilsons a few times, Quil 3 rivers to dickey a few times, and Sol Duc Maxfield to Whitcomb Dimmel.

Appreciate the info.

#945612 - 12/25/15 06:30 AM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Sterling Bar.....just past the "big parking area", road that goes to the gravel bar.....when river was flooding, water ran thru that road, washed gravel out...water still in/on that area......I could not tell how deep water was so I never drove thru.....another 4 wheel pickup, was parked so that person chose not to drive thru either and the rig had "big tires".

River flow at 6:30 a.m., 12/25, is over 3000 cfs. I don't even fish my jet boat unless its 2200 or less. It would be a FAST float.

Do know that property owner, about 1/2 thru, had many truck loads of "big rock", to protect his property/house. Don't know how that change flow in that area.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#945764 - 12/29/15 02:43 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

December 29, 2015,

Drove into Sterling Bar, water that was in the road, now gone....my rig is a 4 Runner, so no problem......would not want to go in with a 2 wheel drive.

#945765 - 12/29/15 03:25 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks drifter, I've got a 4runner as well. Looks like a good float this weekend if the weather cooperates.

#945793 - 12/30/15 09:54 AM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I imagine last of the Ebb Tide might have some fresh fish moving up. You can row up to South Mont'e on a tide like this. 2cents

#945794 - 12/30/15 10:16 AM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Been a lot of guide jet boats, running up from S. Monty or doing the area from Black Ck. to tide water.....just saying...

#945829 - 12/31/15 09:27 AM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Easy safe-drift. The unsafe part is in becoming a speed bump.

#945830 - 12/31/15 09:44 AM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

All jet boats should be restricted from the Wynoochee, would certainly decrease the traffic jams and safety issues for drifters, fishing would certainly improve. Landowners would have a better attitude, maybe those upper gates wouldn't be closed. I know this ain't happening, but that's the fact. Bob R

#945840 - 12/31/15 01:11 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Bob R.....

Now that's a hell of a way to end 2015. Drift boats are the reason the 7400 area got shut down, not any jet boat.

As I've reported for years.....drift boats have more water to fish, than power boaters.....98 % of the OP rivers, Quinault, most of the Wishkah.....major problem with drift boats, the total amount has grown by leaps and bounds.....tough to find a area that doesn't have 50+ drift boats on many rivers this time of the year.

May 2016 be good to you and Melanie (hope spelling was close), maybe see you and your other half, at NOF.

#945842 - 12/31/15 01:28 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
Well said Drifter.. Jet boats didn't get access closed up top.. I'll add with the lack of planting fish elsewhere people have no where to fish. The WDFW is to blame for not having a spine. Plant fricken fish and quit screwin the pooch.

#945848 - 12/31/15 02:45 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: DrifterWA]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Bob R.....

Now that's a hell of a way to end 2015. Drift boats are the reason the 7400 area got shut down, not any jet boat.

As I've reported for years.....drift boats have more water to fish, than power boaters.....98 % of the OP rivers, Quinault, most of the Wishkah.....major problem with drift boats, the total amount has grown by leaps and bounds.....tough to find a area that doesn't have 50+ drift boats on many rivers this time of the year.

May 2016 be good to you and Melanie (hope spelling was close), maybe see you and your other half, at NOF.

You know LOTS more then I about actual #'s, I bow to your knowledge. Happy New Year to you as well, someone we know is supposed to take us out there in the next month or so, our 1st time on this river. Bob and Melanie

#945851 - 12/31/15 02:59 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

So help a brother out... just where is this mysterious Wynoochee that everyone is posting about?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#945853 - 12/31/15 03:19 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: eyeFISH]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
So help a brother out... just where is this mysterious Wynoochee that everyone is posting about?

Central oregon I think... rofl

I haven't shared the river w/ power boats before so this will be my first speedbump avoidance lesson.

Edited by thaxor (12/31/15 03:39 PM)

#945856 - 12/31/15 04:03 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: eyeFISH]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Don't worry about it eyeFISH, nobody fishes there anymore, too
many people.

fp

#945865 - 12/31/15 05:52 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
fishEmunchR Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Grays Harbor WA
Nothing but a shell of the beautiful, fish abundant, not so crowded river it was not so long ago.

#945866 - 12/31/15 06:08 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
I'd rather fish the nooch around 50 jet boats then 50 drifters anyday. Nothing like being stuck in a wave of drifters. At least in a sled you can run up or down away from the crowds and nobody's worried about first water cus your all going to get 50 chances at the same drift all day.

#945887 - 01/01/16 09:05 AM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
Local Offline
Returning Adult

What the DOW needs to do is have metered boat ramps. It would make the metro guys feel right at home. The ramps would only allow one boat launched every 5 minutes. Of course Grays Harbor boats would go first with Monte (locals) boats at the front of the line.

#945891 - 01/01/16 11:37 AM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
This is weird! A buddy who was looking for bank spots on the river yesterday swears he saw a WDFW truck pulling a drift boat early in the morning going up the valley rd. Thought nothing of it until later when he saw the truck and trailer coming from the 7400 area..no boat. Said they came out of locked gate. There again thought they were doing enforcement checks. Which does make a little sense but if nobody can launch up there that make no sense...HUH? Couple hours later buddy sees a drift boat with two guys fishing and actually saw them catch a fish. A little while later here comes two rafts and was thinkin WTH? . He says there's no way they packed the boats in there and someone has keys to the gate. My guess someone from the logging company is letting people in 7400 as there's no way WDFW is letting people in to fish...WHERE DO WE GET THE KEY????? I want one!

#945898 - 01/01/16 02:37 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: thaxor]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Boy......a picture of that would be priceless......with all the cell phones with camera capabilities, your friend should have taken a picture.

I can believe that maybe a key would/could be given to some.....I know I don't have one.......You have to understand, Green Diamond OWNS the land, as owner they have the "right", to unlock that gate, at anytime they choose, just cause 1000's took advantage of that area for a long time....doesn't mean anything in todays world.

Can believe that Green Diamond, might start selling a limit amount of keys.

Time tells all......

Edited by DrifterWA (01/01/16 02:46 PM)

#945900 - 01/01/16 02:49 PM Re: wynoochee float black cr to sterling landing? [Re: Local]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Local
What the DOW needs to do is have metered boat ramps. It would make the metro guys feel right at home. The ramps would only allow one boat launched every 5 minutes. Of course Grays Harbor boats would go first with Monte (locals) boats at the front of the line.

Sure, and then they would put in variable charge toll launches where you could buy a quicker access to the river.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |