LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#974581 - 03/08/17 11:55 AM Best salmon beaches in sound in early August?
No More Ice Fishin Offline
Returning Adult

Hi there,

I have some out of state relatives getting together in early August. We'd like to rent a house on the water. Given there will be a handful of kids from 5 to 10 years old (and more kids at heart), and it being a pink year, we were thinking we should pick a good beach for casting.

Any tips on some ideal spots? It'll be the first week of August.

Whidbey? Or one of the San Juans? Any specific stretches that are good for pinks? I know some of the beaches on Whidbey are better than others for pinks.

Thanks!

#974582 - 03/08/17 11:59 AM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Renting a house on the water that is also a good fishing spot would be very challenging. I think you would be best off finding a place that suits your needs for a rental, and be prepared to drive to a spot to fish, like bush point, Ft casey, etc on Whidbey.

#974585 - 03/08/17 12:01 PM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Early August might be a little bit early for inside the sound.

Can't go wrong with Bush Pt or Lagoon. Note that access has been restricted at Lagoon, so you kinda have to stake out a spot. Good luck,

#974586 - 03/08/17 12:03 PM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
NickD90 Offline

Jumping on what SG said, you can camp at the State park right there. Camping is more fun anyways....

#974609 - 03/08/17 01:54 PM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Returning Adult

All good points. A few years back we were in a similar situation (non pink year) and found a nice house on the west side of Whidbey in late August. It was pretty sweet - especially with a baby at the time - to wake up pre-dawn, stumble a few feet, and start casting. Hooked up with some cohos and the wifey even caught a big king.

I remember a neighbor saying it wasn't much of a pink spot though.

My kids will be 3 and 5 this summer. Being able to cast a few feet from where you are staying exponentially increases fishing time and lets kids fish when they feel up for it or see a fish jumping.

We'll get a lot of camping in this summer, too, but looking for a house this time around.

Just curious if the San Juans or even Lummi offer anything for beach casting in early August.

Also, the east side of Whidbey get any pinks passing by? I assumed mostly the west side...

#974619 - 03/08/17 02:18 PM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Personally I've caught more pinks on beaches I don't consider great coho beaches.
They prefer slower moving water then coho do, but you can catch them on the beaches mentioned.
The first week of August is a bit early, but there should be some around.

If you commit to a rental, I'd ask about their cancellation policies.
I had friends rent a house last year really for the sole purpose of beach fishing.
When the coho season got shut down, they were allowed to move their rental deposit to this summer.
With the low pink forecast, who knows if we'll get to fish. There are certainly enough coho in the forecast to fish in my opinion.
We'll just have to see if NOF becomes another goat show this year.
SF

Edited by stonefish (03/08/17 03:52 PM)

#974624 - 03/08/17 03:37 PM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
NickD90 Offline

Good point SF. If Coho are open, just go fish the same beaches and use the same tackle. Neither fish cares and will gladly climb on the typical buzzbomb / zinger setup. Good luck...

#974631 - 03/08/17 05:29 PM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Returning Adult

True, always an issue if there are fish and seasons these days.

Does Mutiny Bay get coho/pinks moving through?

#974637 - 03/08/17 05:56 PM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
NickD90 Offline

Yup - I believe so. But I never go that far up the island to fish.

#974679 - 03/09/17 12:35 PM Re: Best salmon beaches in sound in early August? [Re: NickD90]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: NickD90
Good point SF. If Coho are open, just go fish the same beaches and use the same tackle. Neither fish cares and will gladly climb on the typical buzzbomb / zinger setup. Good luck...

The "If coho are open" qualifier is a big concern for some areas. Apparently Stilly coho are way, way down and may impact seasons in all or parts of 8-2 and 8-1. NOF underway. Stand by....

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1226 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |