Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#994056 - 09/27/18 09:20 AM 10'6" casting rod opinions
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Moscow, Idaho
Hello all,

I've been looking at purchasing a new steelhead rod and have decided on specs of 10'6", 8-17-10-17. While these specs suggest a float rod, I am really looking for an all-around big-water, big steelhead rod for drift fishing, spoons, and floats. I fish Idaho's Clearwater primarily and like the longer rod to cover larger water. However, I would like to find a blank that casts 2/5 oz. spoons well and the most sensitive blank I can find for drift fishing. Lastly, I'd like a blank that could handle a giant on the OP or BC, provided I ever get a chance to fish those fisheries.

I have been looking closely at the newer Loomis IMX 1264C (10'6", 10-17#, 1/2-11/2 oz) and have read Bantam's PP review several times on this rod when it was at the prototype stage. I have the IMX 9'8" 8-17, and I really like its sensitivity and overall performance.

I've also looked into the Rainshadow RX8 blank (10'6" 10-17# 3/8-1oz), and it looks very intriguing as well. Finally, I looked at North Fork Composites blanks, but it appears that they do not make a 10'6" 10-17#, only 10'6" 10-20. It's very important to me that the blank can cast a 2/5 oz spoon well, and it seems like the Rainshadow is the slightly lighter blank, which is appealing. I'd also like to delve into the custom rod world as well.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some opinions and suggestions on these or other 10'6" casting rods. Basically, an all-around big steelhead rod that can fish anywhere for any steelhead and do it all, relatively speaking. I'm fairly confident that its between the two rods above, but am certainly open to other suggestions. Price, while important, is not really a factor, as I want the best rod out there in this spec range.

Thank you for any feedback.

- Jake

Edited by steelheader316 (09/27/18 09:22 AM)

#994057 - 09/27/18 09:35 AM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: steelheader316]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
If you are looking to build a rod you will have a hard time finding a better blank for your requirements than the Rainshadow...and that blank has a rather light tip, so will fish a 2/5 spoon very well.

Good luck!

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#994084 - 09/27/18 03:22 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: Todd]
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thank you Todd. I appreciate the feedback!

#994094 - 09/27/18 07:11 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: steelheader316]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
I wouldn't count out that NFC 10-20. Although its rated heavier than the XST, the tip will likely load up really well for casting since I'm pretty sure its a moderate action. I would also assume the NFC is both the lighter and more sensitive blank of the two. I do however have an XST1264 and its no slouch either. Its listed as a fast action which would probably do you better when drift fishing with mono per say since that could likely contribute to getting better hook sets on long cast. I use mine for kings and its a beast of a rod, but its a super light rod and would feel even better had I put titanium guides on it. Can't really go wrong with either of the two in my opinion.

#994227 - 10/01/18 02:57 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: steelheader316]
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

For those who’ve fished them, how do the Sage CT blanks compare to north fork composites and Rainshadow blanks?

#994235 - 10/01/18 05:06 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: steelheader316]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I'm not sure if a person could ever tell the difference if all those blanks were tied the same, same reels, same line, same weight...….that 99.9% of the people could tell one from another,,,,IMO

I'd decide how much you want to spend.....put all the names of rods in a hat....draw one out, go with that rod !!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#994242 - 10/01/18 07:26 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: DrifterWA]
steelheader316 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Seems like the most reasonable approach for sure. I’m likely overthinking this, but I appreciate the advice. Thank you sir.

#996901 - 11/15/18 12:43 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: steelheader316]
Red Neckerson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: WA
I just bought the Edge Black Widow 1065-2, it's a 10-20lb , 10'6", it's unbelievable light and easily usable all day, no matter fishing big water with floats or light drifting. It's really an amazing rod and on sale right now for like half off.

#996954 - 11/15/18 10:39 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: Red Neckerson]
vapidangler
Unregistered

Are you looking into a custom build on a blank or a rod? Edge rods are awful nice,and I own 3 of them, that being said I am getting into custom rod building and there are a number of great blank companies out there ,Batson,St Croix, NFC, CTS, as well as others,that are all great blanks and any of them would make a killer rod with the right components. I don't like the idea of a one size fits all blank. Each has its purpose for the application. I am about to build a 9'6" NFC 6-12 for light spoon swinging on the Klamath system,and light duty drift fishing. A custom rod can be tailor made to suit your style an aesthetics. Good luck choosing.

#997111 - 11/18/18 08:21 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: steelheader316]
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
My personal favorite hardware rod of all time is the lamiglass x106mc. It's a slower rod with a sensitive tip. If I'm walking in with one rod, that's the one I take. Excellent for spoons/ spinners and works fine with drift gear or floats. Glad I bought a few back in the days when you could get em for $145.

#997278 - 11/20/18 06:16 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: Erik]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: Erik
My personal favorite hardware rod of all time is the lamiglass x106mc. It's a slower rod with a sensitive tip. If I'm walking in with one rod, that's the one I take. Excellent for spoons/ spinners and works fine with drift gear or floats. Glad I bought a few back in the days when you could get em for $145.

Those Lamiglas Certified Pros are some of my favorites to this day.

c/22

#997368 - 11/23/18 03:08 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: chrome/22]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Originally Posted By: Erik

Those Lamiglas Certified Pros are some of my favorites to this day.

c/22

Im gonna second or third or watever these votes for the older lami's. Back in the day, fishing with Dave Vedder on some known big steelhead streams, i thought it would be clever to carry some Dave Vedder series lamiglas rods with me. He had a few too but wouldnt put down the old Bill Herzog series 10' 8 to 17 for just about everything. Told him i wouldnt tell anyone but considering statutes of limitations and all that i think im fine... wink

#997369 - 11/23/18 03:12 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: steelheader316]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

By the way, love the Sages for floating but for super sensitive tips, pretty hard to beat the Rainshadows and NFC's IMO. Really dugs the Cousins before they went down.

#997370 - 11/23/18 03:56 PM Re: 10'6" casting rod opinions [Re: cobble cruiser]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
By the way, love the Sages for floating but for super sensitive tips, pretty hard to beat the Rainshadows and NFC's IMO. Really dugs the Cousins before they went down.

Never fished a NFC or a Cousins, plenty of Sage & Rainshadow. Then the older Loomis models like the GL3, IMX all the way back to the IM6 days.

c/22

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 20 Gage), 1297 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |