Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1000027 - 01/01/19 03:09 PM Wynoochee 7400 Line
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

I have no need to go to the 7400 line, so I'm wondering if more work was done after the opening last summer....at that time the last 1.2 miles was bad.

Winter rains would/could have made the road bad....is it????

Thanks......Happy New Year !!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1000036 - 01/02/19 08:04 AM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: DrifterWA]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I'm curious, too. I went to check it out Monday. Saw two other rigs heading in at the same time. The new road looked pretty good up to the point where it heads downhill. It didn't look bad there, either, but I noticed a steady stream of runoff (from rain that ended about 24 hours prior) flowing down the left side, and that made me imagine the potential for much worse conditions ahead, so I decided to turn around before getting to any of the areas of concern down below.

One thing I can pass along definitively is that Green Diamond really doesn't want anyone parking down by the bridge. They put up a nice, big sign at the turnoff to the new road, to make sure that's clear. The sign did say it is okay to walk in from that point, which is about .6 miles. If we get a bad report on the road to the new launch, that may be an option for bank anglers, but PLEASE, folks, don't drive down there.

Incidentally, the river was still high, fast, and pretty colored-up. Probably improved yesterday, but more rain will likely put it back out again by the weekend.

#1000044 - 01/02/19 09:01 AM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks....

#1000237 - 01/03/19 06:38 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: DrifterWA]
c&b Offline
Parr

Loc: Kitsap County
Took a trip up there on the first of the year, lots of standing deep puddles on the new road down low and a couple of soupy muddy spots

#1000268 - 01/04/19 08:45 AM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: c&b]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: c&b
Took a trip up there on the first of the year, lots of standing deep puddles on the new road down low and a couple of soupy muddy spots

Thanks.....that's what I would have expected from the 2 times I went down "the new road"....

#1000369 - 01/04/19 07:53 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: DrifterWA]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

looked pretty obvious the guys that launched up there on Tuesday. they're trucks were covered in mud

#1000393 - 01/05/19 08:59 AM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: DrifterWA]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Makes you wonder who would even bother the way conditions have been this season. They must want to fish really bad. Long range forecasts for the next 3-4 weeks of more of the same.

#1000419 - 01/05/19 11:12 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: RUNnGUN]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Makes you wonder who would even bother the way conditions have been this season. They must want to fish really bad. Long range forecasts for the next 3-4 weeks of more of the same.

bother fishing or getting your truck muddy?

#1000470 - 01/06/19 06:54 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: eswan]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: eswan

bother fishing or getting your truck muddy?

Fishing. Gettn the truck muddy is the fun part. Racing downriver with a 1400+ CFS flow I guess could be a fun boat ride?

#1000473 - 01/06/19 08:20 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: DrifterWA]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

there's been plenty fishable days. I fished Tuesday, killed two winters and let a summer go. most boats that came from 7400 had none. that's a long float if you don't know where to cast it can make for an unproductive day. it's been a good winter so far. in 4 trips starting dec 2nd I've killed 6 winters lost 3 and released 1 spawner and 2 summers. 1 of these trips was on the nooch and was reminded why I don't fish there much due to the amount of other fisherman.

This was the first winter of the year. This guy was a high teen fish and was covered in sea lice. It was an epic show to say the least. We were pulling plugs in a tiny tail out when the right rod buried. I move the boat to the side, drop anchor reel in the other rod as my buddy picks it up to play the fish. I get left rod in and he says this ones you I got the last (a summer fish). I take the rod and begin to attempt to get him near us. the anchor begins to slip in the swift water. I release some more line in hopes itll bite. it doesn't so I pass the rod forward, bring in anchor, row to the edge and reset. after several minutes we get the fish up by the boat. net attempt one was a dangerous stab as we saw the size of this brute. I educated him quickly that I'll tell him when its ready to go and the next attempt was successful. it was high 5's and smiles all the way to the short row to the takeout!

#1000479 - 01/07/19 06:37 AM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: DrifterWA]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Congratulations. Glad to see someone has caught the short windows available. This winter so far those windows of opportunity have been small for those that have holiday family obligations or have to work for a living. No wonder any more WDFW puts a low priority on state wide Steelhead production.

#1000484 - 01/07/19 12:48 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: RUNnGUN]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Sweet fish eswan! I'm jealous!

Congratulations. Glad to see someone has caught the short windows available. This winter so far those windows of opportunity have been small for those that have holiday family obligations or have to work for a living. No wonder any more WDFW puts a low priority on state wide Steelhead production.

I would amend this by saying that WDFW seemingly puts NO priority anymore on steelhead production. Sadly, I feel that river fishing around here is a dying sport and that most of the relative newbies that have moved to this state couldn't care less. It is not on their radar. However, I will again try for later winter runs until my license expires, and as a lifetime WA resident, this year could be the first that I don't buy a new license in over 45 years.

#1000490 - 01/07/19 01:14 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: large edward]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: large edward

I would amend this by saying that WDFW seemingly puts NO priority anymore on steelhead production. Sadly, I feel that river fishing around here is a dying sport and that most of the relative newbies that have moved to this state couldn't care less. It is not on their radar. However, I will again try for later winter runs until my license expires, and as a lifetime WA resident, this year could be the first that I don't buy a new license in over 45 years.

I agree, its been apparent to me for a long time....WDFW Fish Management, prefer salmon over steelhead, been that way since the merger, in the mid 90's. Salmon are nt gillnetted. troll fish in the ocean, charter boated, bay and river fished...….steelhead on the other hand, tribal netted and river sports caught....if not for mitigation monies for steelhead, we could be at all time hatchery lows for steelhead.

#1000501 - 01/07/19 03:35 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: DrifterWA]
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
Sad State of Affairs considering the Steelhead is the Washington State fish. Glad I got to be a part of the glory days. Back in the day the State put some hatchery fish in every river, creek, and slough. I caught steelhead in over 50 different streams back in the seventies and eighties. If it flowed you could bet there was a Steelhead swimming in it. Damn Shame what it has come to.

#1000508 - 01/07/19 04:49 PM Re: Wynoochee 7400 Line [Re: steelhead59]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: steelhead59
Sad State of Affairs considering the Steelhead is the Washington State fish. Glad I got to be a part of the glory days. Back in the day the State put some hatchery fish in every river, creek, and slough. I caught steelhead in over 50 different streams back in the seventies and eighties. If it flowed you could bet there was a Steelhead swimming in it. Damn Shame what it has come to.

wish that were the case these days. I was born in the wrong era. my grand dad and great uncle told tales of epic fishing when they grew up in Aberdeen in the 30's and 40's. they fished the chehalis, humptulips, satsop and Clearwater. they hunted elk on the Clearwater as well via raft and had plenty interesting tales of floating 3 elk out on that raft!

Edited by eswan (01/07/19 05:13 PM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1221 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |