Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1004881 - 03/06/19 01:46 PM Weekend Commission Meetings
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
A lot of guys have told me they can't participate in the Commission meetings because for the most part, they are held on weekdays, when most people have to work. That might explain why I have seen the same ol' crowd all the time. So I'm just curious, if the Commission held their meetings on the weekends, would more of you attend?
What day(s) of the week should the Commission hold meeting to increase your participation? You can choose more than one.
Multiple choices allowed (78 total votes)
Saturday - 36 (46%)
Sunday - 20 (26%)
Monday - 0 (0%)
Tuesday - 1 (01%)
Wednesday - 1 (01%)
Thursday - 0 (0%)
Friday - 5 (06%)
Any day of the week - 5 (06%)
Doesn't matter to me - 10 (13%)
Voting on this poll ends: 03/14/19 04:43 PM

#1004936 - 03/07/19 08:41 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Come on Sportsmen. We've had 160 views and 31 responses. At least give an opinion. Thanks

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1004939 - 03/07/19 09:16 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
bobrr
Unregistered

None of the parameters of your question affect me as I attend both on weekdays and on weekends. Most of the WDFW and commission meetings I attend are on the weekend but some are on Fridays and adviser's meetings are during the week at dinnertime but we make adjustments to attend. My opinion is that it doesn't matter when the meetings are held, some say weekends and time off are too valuable to them to give up, others say weekdays are an issue. Can't have it both ways, I don't think attendance would fluctuate much since the meetings seem to be split pretty evenly between weekdays and weekends. I think most fishermen believe that the issues are too complex for an easy solution, that the slide downwards is inevitable, so low numbers at meetings are the result. Bob R

#1004941 - 03/07/19 09:40 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
One aspect of the meeting time is staff time. Rules require that they be compensated for work. Plus, at least since the mid 00's WDFW was rather anal on the requirement that you work 8 hours a day, M-F and needed written permission to deviate. At all. Plus, you were limited to 40 hours per week. Written approval to do more or just do less M-F so you can work the weekend.

#1004947 - 03/07/19 11:15 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
One aspect of the meeting time is staff time. Rules require that they be compensated for work. Plus, at least since the mid 00's WDFW was rather anal on the requirement that you work 8 hours a day, M-F and needed written permission to deviate. At all. Plus, you were limited to 40 hours per week. Written approval to do more or just do less M-F so you can work the weekend.

I don't like "comp time"

There are meetings, NOF, Commission, and probably some others that I'm not aware of. These should be built into the position/contact...sometimes different positions call for employees to be at meetings "outside" the normal work day.

I chuckle at some of the upper State meetings....more WDFW personnel, than people from the public....I'm sure they are all vital to the meeting at hand, mmmmmm I wonder???????

I'm retired, so time is not so important....I go to meetings cause I like to know what's going on....I've been to Willapa Bay NOF meetings, just to watch the fire works, I've not fished Willapa Bay, ever.

I was a State Employee, Teacher, for my adult working life....there were many duties that we were expected to do...game duties, club duties, bus duties, Junior/Senior proms, teachers meetings....no comp time, no extra pay... at least not during the years 1968-1997.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1005071 - 03/08/19 09:48 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Whether you like comp time or exchange time or overtime or standby is your personal choice. But Federal law requires it for many levels of the workforce. If you want to hold WDFW staff to 40 hours a week, period, then fine. They will either need to hire a whole lot more staff or accomplish a whole lot less.

#1005075 - 03/08/19 09:57 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Likely they would do both!

#1005076 - 03/08/19 10:12 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Carcassman]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Whether you like comp time or exchange time or overtime or standby is your personal choice. But Federal law requires it for many levels of the workforce. If you want to hold WDFW staff to 40 hours a week, period, then fine. They will either need to hire a whole lot more staff or accomplish a whole lot less.

Basically, that is their problem to figure out, not ours.
WTF? Do we have to do everything?
If you are going to hold public meetings with time set aside for public comment, then it is only logical to hold them when the greatest number of people might be able to attend.

That's why it won't happen. It's too obvious. Plus, they can counter with "you can reach us by email."

#1005077 - 03/08/19 10:18 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: ]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: bobrr
I think most fishermen believe that the issues are too complex for an easy solution, that the slide downwards is inevitable, so low numbers at meetings are the result. Bob R

Not only that but the pace at which the department moves to enact anything new is glacial at best. Unless of course it is to enact another emergency closure. This bureaucratic pace is the direct opposite of what most of the world is used to. I know it is for me. My former job as a construction superintendent was way different. When I gave a "suggestion" shyte happened right the F now.

#1005086 - 03/08/19 11:09 AM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

So, I guess what I'm hearing is that it's pretty much useless to attend these meetings. I know the public NOF meetings are a waste of time. They use them to check the box that they allowed the public to participate, but when the doors close at the Tribal NOF it's another story indeed.

So, where does this leave the nearly 700 thousand citizens that buy licenses yearly? Are we just discounted and have to go along with whatever the fish mafia, commission and department want?

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1005121 - 03/08/19 01:22 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
No, attending the Commission meetings is not useless as simply attending indicates that the public is watching and listening. While overcoming bureaucratic inertia is a seemingly impossible task attending the meetings and testifying is a critical function and has even more impact when done en mass relative to a particular issue. Now, relative to the week-day versus week-end dilemma it is obvious there are limitations on all parties; citizens, Staff and Commissioners.

I believe the Commission is doing a fairly good job all things considered. If you are interested in an upcoming issue before the Commission and you cannot attend there is generally a link to Staff presentations posted to the meeting agenda (see the Commission web page) and an email address is available for comments to the Commission as a group. Is that as effective as being there in person? Probably not but it does allow for input which may support testimony by others.

What I would like to see is additional time on the agenda for public comment. Specifically, an opportunity first thing each morning and then again after lunch and especially on Saturday such that citizens willing to make a longer drive on a non work day for their three minutes of fame do not have to be there by 8:00 A.M.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1005143 - 03/08/19 03:13 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
bobrr
Unregistered

Even if I felt that attending meetings wouldn't do anything to help I would still attend as I could be wrong about the ineffectiveness of attending and then I would be fulfilling my own wrong belief. That's how I feel about climate change, even if you don't believe it you could be wrong. And what can it hurt to move in a positive direction rather then doing nothing or worse yet, continuing to move in a negative direction? Bob R

#1005144 - 03/08/19 03:50 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Larry B]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Larry B

What I would like to see is additional time on the agenda for public comment. Specifically, an opportunity first thing each morning and then again after lunch and especially on Saturday such that citizens willing to make a longer drive on a non work day for their three minutes of fame do not have to be there by 8:00 A.M.

Three minutes does fly by....Not many ever finish before the 3 minutes are up....

I'd like to be able to question ANY WDFW staff that are there !!!!!!!!

#1005148 - 03/08/19 04:22 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

How about accountability???? I'd like to see job performance evaluations, by the public, just like many companies are doing currently.....Comcast, Ford, Toyota, LG, and others, these companies actual want to know how their employees are doing...….I'm thinking that there could be some WDFW changes if public evaluations were a part of the yearly contract.....

#1005245 - 03/10/19 12:38 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I'm okay with the Commission meetings the way they are now. Commissioners are volunteering time, as well.

After I was hurt in the service I also volunteered much time. I became a Certified Aquatic Education Instructor to help teach kids about fishes and the importance of the riparian zone.

Change is slow.

For sure, do your best and hang the rest.

#1005555 - 03/15/19 01:10 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: DrifterWA]
blenny Offline
Fry

if you think corporate performance evaluations would provide accountability... you've obviously never worked in a corporate setting or you were simply delusional about the purpose of them when you were working. many people perform well and are evaluated poorly in these settings and many people perform poorly and are evaluated well (weird how this seems to happen mostly in middle and upper management). the idea that crowdsourcing performance evaluations would somehow provide greater accountability to public officials is laughable. politicians already deal with this and its called elections. are you proposing that every WDFW staff member submit to public performance evaluations and then be terminated if they did not meet x-critera? I've seen creel checkers yelled at by similar minded people to you DrifterWA... on what planet does a young college grad counting fish dictate high level policy at the STATEWIDE level?

Transparency is what is needed and that is driven by public interest and the political will of the interested public (accountability). The mechanisms exist to enact change but the reality is that sportfishing is a privileged activity and is on the decline in the PNW. Sportfisherman may have to take a hit in order to join a powerful enough coalition to enact the change that is better for all interested parties. Moving the commission meetings to the weekend is a great idea for us folks who work during the week and is a pathway to achieving greater transparency and putting more public pressure on public officials. Let us not hold one type of institution up as if it represents some sort of gold standard when many of the issues you are worried about are problems in all institutions regardless of type. I

#1005565 - 03/15/19 02:51 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

blenny:

Whoa, Let me give you an example of what I'm taking about...…

I purchased a 2018 vehicle in December....

Ford motor company sent me different evaluation/accountability emails asking general questions, they wanted rating 1 - 5, on different areas that Ford Motor felt were important...…

Sales and Service were two of the areas that Ford wanted ratings on, I had issues with the vehicle and had to be taken to service more than once...I got a "rating email" for each time.

WDFW has many areas that do not deal with the public directly...then no evaluation would be necessary....

I could see a public evaluation of hatchery staff, if there was a major fish kill. We had a major fish kill, there was going to be follow up, to find out "what happen"....I've seen nothing!!!!

Don't be so defensive.... WDFW wants increase funding, from the taxpayers...they should be held accountable for the services provided.

Edited by DrifterWA (03/15/19 02:52 PM)

#1005567 - 03/15/19 03:23 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

How would you evaluate this performance?

Run is estimated to come in high and fisheries are scheduled. An update is done and the run has dropped. Lots less harvestable. NI Fisheries closed as share has been more than taken. Indian fishery continues and later updates show the run is not as bad as thought; there are now a few fish left for NI, in the river. Too few to open for more than part of day, so it is kept closed. Final accounting of catch and escapement shows that there were a few more, enough to (maybe) squeeze in a day on the river. Instead, this handful of fish spawned and gave a small "over escapement". Given the more mixed nature of the first NI fishery, those fish could have been taken in a last day outside.

Did staff screw it up?

#1005568 - 03/15/19 03:29 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

We’ve asked (demanded) transparency and accountability, both from the department and the Commission. The truth of the matter is, they are masters at playing us against ourselves. The reason Unsworth was let go was not because of what he allowed to happen with the Chinook management plan. Being negotiated and agreed to behind the backs
of the Commissioners, it was because the department slaughtered deer that were in the care of a rehab org that showed up IN MASS and used the media to bring the issue to the attention of everyone.

My thought of having weekend Commission meeting was in hopes of having people show up IN MASS, but the reality is that recreational fishermen are too fragmented to all push in one direction. The arguments posted in these threads sort of prove that point.

We ALMOST did it with our campaign to allow a video camera into the tribal/state north of falcon meetings. But when it came time to put action to words, well...everybody was too busy. Funny, the press showed up, the activists didn’t.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1005580 - 03/15/19 07:06 PM Re: Weekend Commission Meetings [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

How would you evaluate this performance?

Run is estimated to come in high and fisheries are scheduled. An update is done and the run has dropped. Lots less harvestable. NI Fisheries closed as share has been more than taken. Indian fishery continues and later updates show the run is not as bad as thought; there are now a few fish left for NI, in the river. Too few to open for more than part of day, so it is kept closed. Final accounting of catch and escapement shows that there were a few more, enough to (maybe) squeeze in a day on the river. Instead, this handful of fish spawned and gave a small "over escapement". Given the more mixed nature of the first NI fishery, those fish could have been taken in a last day outside.

Did staff screw it up?

Nope, on a scale of 1 to 5, they get a 5..... Commission # 1 goal is conservation ….. in the current fish world, IMO, fish on the spawning bed beats MSY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1331 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |