Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1006347 - 04/02/19 09:07 AM I'm still not over the gillnet issue
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
So,
Gov Inslee's big platform is ecology and environment, and he loves all the press from his Orca initiatives. His big push to regulate ship noise, toxins, salmon habit, and oil spills will cost a lot, yet his Commission lets the gill net opportunity slip by. Where's the consistency?

Things I don't know:
Why did the Commission bail out?

What was Oregon's politics/influence?

Any rebuttal out of Solomon's office?

What was the pre-existing legislation (from 2006 or whenever ??) that was supposed to give warning to gillnetters that the ban was inevitable, and they should start transitioning to alternate harvest methods?

What were the individual Commissioners motives on their votes?

#1006351 - 04/02/19 10:13 AM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: ned]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

All great questions.

The problem is Inslee isn't about fish............. however his policy smells like a dead one.

#1006355 - 04/02/19 10:40 AM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: ned]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Perhaps Fox News or one of the other Democratic candidates can take a stab at asking him? Just saying.....

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1006357 - 04/02/19 11:15 AM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: ned]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

I will be at the Commission meeting this coming Friday and Saturday. I will, again, be making my "kick the can down the road" on the 1991/92 Wynoochee Mitigation, for lost Coho and steelhead.

I would like to make a comment about the Commission vote to again allow gillnets in the main stem Columbia River. I can't find out which Commissioners voted and exactly what was voted on....is it a done deal???

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1006359 - 04/02/19 11:47 AM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

I would like to make a comment about the Commission vote to again allow gillnets in the main stem Columbia River. I can't find out which Commissioners voted and exactly what was voted on....is it a done deal???

WFCW voted to bring the gillnets back to CR at their Spokane meeting last month.... right on the heels of the Senate watering down its anti-gillnet bill to affect ONLY the Columbia. So there you go... it's good as DEAD!

For the record the only guy voting in opposition to CR mainstem gillnetting was Graybill. 2 abstained and 5 others voted in favor. GDITMMM!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1006360 - 04/02/19 12:04 PM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: ned]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Sure didn't take the commission long to roll over after they got Wecker out of the Chair....

I know several folks who invested a lot more time and energy in the process to enact reforms than I, and that's what upsets me most. Those folks used the process and earned what should have been a victory for sport fishers and salmon alike, only to have it stolen by others outside the process. It was pretty clear from the commission meetings I attended what the voting public wanted. They didn't get it.

#1006362 - 04/02/19 12:44 PM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: ned]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Okay, I have to ask so that I fully understand what the Commission did and did not do.

Was their action a full on change to the policy?

Or was it another "kick the can down the interminable road" pending further testing, etc., of alternative gear with the original goal of the policy still in play?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1006364 - 04/02/19 01:40 PM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: ned]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Despite what you may thing Fox news is NOT a liberal news source.

#1006366 - 04/02/19 03:41 PM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: ned]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
I received this information from CCA in its March 2019 "Connect" newsletter:

"On Saturday, March 2nd, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission voted to undo the Columbia River fishery reforms. The vote restores non-tribal gillnetting in the lower Columbia River during this year's spring and summer seasons and increases mainstem gillnetting during the fall - harming salmon, steelhead, and angling opportunity throughout the Columbia River basin.

The action, championed by Commissioners Don McIsaac (Hockinson) and Bob Kehoe (Seattle), was adopted without advance public notice, review or comment of the policy proposal - a dark day in the history of the Commission and WDFW.

The decision was made despite dismal spring, summer and fall chinook forecasts, which will result in reduced fishing seasons and conservation concerns. The decision is an affront to the 225,000 anglers who purchase the $8.75 Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement, which WDFW is asking the legislature to extend this year along with a 15% fishing license fee increase. The decision also comes as elected officials have been debating legislation to permanently ban non-tribal gillnets in the Columbia River.

CCA Washington sent out an Action Alert to our members asking them to contact their legislators and hold the Department responsible for this unconscionable decision."

So, off another letter went to my legislators to voice my strong disapproval of this total BS. I'm pissed to say the least!

Edited by large edward (04/02/19 03:43 PM)

#1006367 - 04/02/19 03:57 PM Re: I'm still not over the gillnet issue [Re: large edward]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: large edward
I received this information from CCA in its March 2019 "Connect" newsletter:

"On Saturday, March 2nd, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission voted to undo the Columbia River fishery reforms. The vote restores non-tribal gillnetting in the lower Columbia River during this year's spring and summer seasons and increases mainstem gillnetting during the fall - harming salmon, steelhead, and angling opportunity throughout the Columbia River basin.

The action, championed by Commissioners Don McIsaac (Hockinson) and Bob Kehoe (Seattle), was adopted without advance public notice, review or comment of the policy proposal - a dark day in the history of the Commission and WDFW.

The decision was made despite dismal spring, summer and fall chinook forecasts, which will result in reduced fishing seasons and conservation concerns. The decision is an affront to the 225,000 anglers who purchase the $8.75 Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement, which WDFW is asking the legislature to extend this year along with a 15% fishing license fee increase. The decision also comes as elected officials have been debating legislation to permanently ban non-tribal gillnets in the Columbia River.

CCA Washington sent out an Action Alert to our members asking them to contact their legislators and hold the Department responsible for this unconscionable decision."

So, off another letter went to my legislators to voice my strong disapproval of this total BS. I'm pissed to say the least!

I did read that CCA announcement but I have focused on this part (emphasis added):

" The vote restores non-tribal gillnetting in the lower Columbia River during this year's spring and summer seasons and increases mainstem gillnetting during the fall - harming salmon, steelhead, and angling opportunity throughout the Columbia River basin."

So, again, is it for this summer only?

Or a full blown change to the policy??

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (No More Ice Fishin, 1 invisible), 1207 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |