Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1008192 - 05/03/19 07:26 AM Exiting 2019 Col. R. Endorsement
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url...t8JxfurA&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url...vwS1xW8s&e=>

May 2, 2019

Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement no longer required beginning July 1

OLYMPIA – Anglers who fish for salmon and steelhead in the Columbia River basin will no longer be required to purchase an endorsement to do so beginning July 1.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has collected an $8.75 annual fee – known as the Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement – from anglers to fish for salmon and steelhead in the region since 2010. The department has used revenue from the endorsement to monitor and enforce fisheries in the Columbia River Basin.

WDFW’s legislative authority to implement the Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement ends June 30. Anglers are still required under state law to obtain an endorsement to fish for salmon or steelhead in the Columbia River until July 1. The department will not be issuing refunds as anglers have had opportunity to use the endorsement and it remains a state requirement through June 30.

A valid fishing license – a freshwater, combination, or Fish Washington license – is required at all times to fish the Columbia River. The agency is also working on modifying the Fish Washington license package, which includes the endorsement.

In order to have fisheries in waters such as the Columbia River where there are fish protected by the federal Endangered Species Act, WDFW is required to closely monitor those fisheries and enforce regulations.

The department is assessing how the loss of revenue from the endorsement will affect salmon and steelhead fisheries in the Columbia basin once the endorsement expires, said Kelly Susewind, WDFW Director. That could mean changes to salmon and steelhead fisheries this fall and next spring.

“The endorsement provided needed funding for monitoring and enforcement activities,” Susewind said. “We’re evaluating our path forward with these fisheries, which not only provide good opportunities for anglers but also significant economic benefits to communities in the Columbia River Basin.”

WDFW had requested that the Legislature extend the Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement through June 2023. However, the Legislature did not reauthorize the endorsement, allowing it to expire at the end of June.

WDFW is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting and other outdoor recreation opportunities.

#1008193 - 05/03/19 07:30 AM Re: Exiting 2019 Col. R. Endorsement [Re: RUNnGUN]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I think this also means the barbless hooks reg goes away. I know on the Kalama it has gone to voluntary. Will the endorsement expiration remove barbless hooks on all Columbia tributaries?

#1008194 - 05/03/19 08:02 AM Re: Exiting 2019 Col. R. Endorsement [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I already bought a CR endorsement along with my new fishing license. I see that no refunds will be issued.

#1008204 - 05/03/19 09:10 AM Re: Exiting 2019 Col. R. Endorsement [Re: Salmo g.]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Of course not. We should get refunds with the [Bleeeeep!] late winter run and no spring chinook retention. From March to June/July not much opportunity. The state knows as well, it's all apart of their game.
They should set the seasons in stone before people buy licenses so we have the choice on what to buy. Instead of being dissapointed every year.

#1008205 - 05/03/19 09:12 AM Re: Exiting 2019 Col. R. Endorsement [Re: RUNnGUN]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
“The endorsement provided needed funding for monitoring and enforcement activities,” Susewind said.

Can any of you identify for me any of the above activities on the greater CR basin? I'm trying to understand where the money has gone because I haven't seen any monitoring or enforcement activities on the Cowlitz in years.

And yes, like SG, I got suckered into paying for another year of endorsement this season.

#1008207 - 05/03/19 09:33 AM Re: Exiting 2019 Col. R. Endorsement [Re: large edward]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Probably in their pockets. Or for other reasons not pertaining to CR fisheries. Susewind sounds clueless to me.
Just watch without that extra funding coming in, they will hike up license fees next year.

#1008224 - 05/03/19 03:48 PM Re: Exiting 2019 Col. R. Endorsement [Re: RUNnGUN]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I'm sure WDFW thanks all the people that bought the CR endorsement, believe me the money won't go to waste, $$$$$$ will go to buy toilet paper as I'm sure it was needed when they found out budget increases didn't get approved.….

Time for the WDFW higher up decision makers to realize the average family wage owner just doesn't have all the salary increases to keep up with all the ever increasing costs from everywhere...food, gas, income tax, property tax, etc.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1302 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645376 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |