LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1043815 - 12/14/20 02:28 PM Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon?
No More Ice Fishin Offline
Returning Adult

My parents live in the Midwest and love smoked salmon. They haven't been able to travel to see their kids or grandkids this year, and my mom was just talking about having smoked salmon for the holidays this year and not worrying about a big meal.

Got me thinking maybe I could surprise her by smoking and sending a batch. Anyone ever try sending? I have to thaw out some coho and then smoke it. Would you then freeze solid again (I know, not ideal) and overnight it in a little insulation? Or some other way?

#1043825 - 12/14/20 04:01 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
I've never sent any of my smoked salmon thru the "mail" so I have no experience. But, what you described is what I would do particularly if you vacuum pack the smoked fish within a day of smoking it. I really think it makes a big difference in taste if you trap more of the smoke flavor right away. You could probably overnight it without freezing, but I probably would just to play it safe. Good luck! I have a batch of silvers in my smoker right now!

#1043826 - 12/14/20 04:16 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: large edward]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I would just thaw and overnight it,but my smoked fish has a high salt content. I'd eat it.

#1043832 - 12/14/20 04:31 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Smoke it. Vacuum pack - twice. Ship overnight.

I've done it many times before without issue. There is a small chance they'll send your shipment back if a vacuum seal breaks, so I always double seal it as a safety measure.

#1043833 - 12/14/20 04:34 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I have vacuum sealed it and overnighted it...no ice, not frozen. Always been just fine.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1043836 - 12/14/20 04:40 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
NickD90 Offline

Yeah....cold packs, ice or whatever is not needed. It's smoked.

I do use gloves when handling fish from the smoker to sealing, just so as to not introduce any extra bacteria etc. If you do your smoke job right, it's shelf stable for a couple of weeks. Commercial smoked salmon has a 2 - 3 week shelf life from initial sealing to the final sell by date....roughly.

You can always use a higher salt content brine which will help a lot with preservation....

#1043842 - 12/14/20 04:59 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

12/14/2020

I've sent smoked fish to AZ and to Virginia ...... right now is not the best time of the year to do so.....Christmas stuff being sent BUT if you smoke it, vacuum seal it, put in refrigerator.

When the Christmas rush is over, pick a Monday or Tuesday to ship.....reason for these days so it won't get hung up on a week end.

I've shipped on Monday....got to Virginia on Wednesday and Thursday.

This time of the year......colder weather for shipping is good...

NO WILD STEELHEAD IN ANY FISH I'VE EVER SENT !!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1043861 - 12/14/20 06:50 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Smoke, vac-pac, ship - no issues the half dozen or so times I've done it.

#1043866 - 12/14/20 07:39 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: OceanSun]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
forget the higher salt content, who wants that? get an insulated box, throw in a couple blue ice and vacuum sealed fish, and ship it UPS. I sent it to Arizona last year and it was fine.

#1043880 - 12/14/20 09:52 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: fish4brains]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Well if you do a 4 parts sugar 1 part salt ratio say in a dry brine,that's plenty of salt. Fish will keep a couple days no problem if it's vac sealed.

#1043883 - 12/14/20 10:03 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
yep, 4/1, vacuum seal, keep cold.

#1043897 - 12/15/20 10:40 AM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I started canning my smoke Salmon so I can ship it without worries. A lot of it went to my folks in Hawaii and others to friends in Germany. No issues doing it that way and I actually think the canned version of smoked salmon tastes better.

#1043899 - 12/15/20 10:53 AM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: Idaho Mike]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Idaho Mike
I started canning my smoke Salmon so I can ship it without worries. A lot of it went to my folks in Hawaii and others to friends in Germany. No issues doing it that way and I actually think the canned version of smoked salmon tastes better.

Do you have the smoke fish done at a commercial cannery, so its done in cans????

I have a home canner, but I have to use 1/2 and pint jars, I do smoked summer run and tuna fish......it does taste good.

#1043901 - 12/15/20 11:06 AM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Definitely punctuates the smoked flavor in the fish.

#1043902 - 12/15/20 11:09 AM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10

So what's the deal with the Costco boxed gift packs they have for sale... smoked sockeye is unrefrigerated, who knows how old it is ? Is that brined with a special preservative or something?

#1043904 - 12/15/20 11:31 AM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: ned]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: ned

So what's the deal with the Costco boxed gift packs they have for sale... smoked sockeye is unrefrigerated, who knows how old it is ? Is that brined with a special preservative or something?

It's pasteurized.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1043905 - 12/15/20 11:36 AM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

If only man could have preserved the live fish.

#1043908 - 12/15/20 11:44 AM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
If only man could have preserved the live fish.

WDFW is going to try......

#1043909 - 12/15/20 11:47 AM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
NickD90 Offline

The commercial process more or less...

Link here if anyone cares....

I used to sell PKG supplies to all of the big and small PNW commercial processors, so I had to learn a little bit about this stuff.

It's a pretty interesting process to see first hand. I believe Ocean Beauty in Monroe used to give tours before Covid hit. Cool place, but your clothes will smell like smoked fish butthole forever. The actual smokers they use are are HUGE. 1000's of pounds of fish at a time.

#1043933 - 12/15/20 04:04 PM Re: Anyone ever ship their smoked salmon? [Re: DrifterWA]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Originally Posted By: Idaho Mike

Do you have the smoke fish done at a commercial cannery, so its done in cans????

I have a home canner, but I have to use 1/2 and pint jars, I do smoked summer run and tuna fish......it does taste good.

I do it myself and usually use half pint jars. Got to wrap them good for shipping, but never had one arrive broken. I usually put about an hour of smoke on the fish and then can.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1418 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |