Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1057993 - 10/30/21 12:17 PM ? of the day
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

a guy told me today that the meeting on tuesday night with WDFW that there will be no winter steelhead fishing in the chehalis basin rivers..

is that true?

mainly region 6

#1057994 - 10/30/21 12:49 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
They haven’t officially announced a decision, but yeah…it’s probably in that for sure 99% chance we won’t have a season. Not even the skookumchuck…where there aren’t any wild fish left. Even the rivers on the coast they keep open will only be open a max of 3 days a week and probably no bait/scent, barbless hooks and probably no fishing from a boat. The whole commission or whatever minus Bob Kratzer are pretty much all fly chucking elitists who want hatchery fish gone.

They say they are having a hard time getting hatchery fish back…yeah that’s what happens when a river used to have 400,000+ fish out in it and only has 70,000 now. It’s not the time to be making more hatchery cuts…

They are concerned about something that on most rivers, simply doesn’t exist anymore. Some rivers still have an actually wild run (even though most of those probably have stray “evil” hatchery fish genetics mixed in), but most are hatchery fish, especially through January. Most of the wild stocks don’t show up until February/March on a lot of these rivers.

#1057996 - 10/30/21 02:37 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
jgreen hit it on the money. All these accommodations they're making aren't helping the fish or the fishermen.

If they close the Chehalis then all that pressure is gonna shift to the OP...

#1057997 - 10/30/21 05:52 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
If you're following BC at all, the steelhead there a seeking even lower numbers for returns. Down to where Noah would have a hard time getting some for the Ark. Steelhead will soon be just a dim memory.

#1057998 - 10/30/21 06:01 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: jgreen]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: jgreen
They haven’t officially announced a decision, but yeah…it’s probably in that for sure 99% chance we won’t have a season. Not even the skookumchuck…where there aren’t any wild fish left. Even the rivers on the coast they keep open will only be open a max of 3 days a week and probably no bait/scent, barbless hooks and probably no fishing from a boat. The whole commission or whatever minus Bob Kratzer are pretty much all fly chucking elitists who want hatchery fish gone.

They say they are having a hard time getting hatchery fish back…yeah that’s what happens when a river used to have 400,000+ fish out in it and only has 70,000 now. It’s not the time to be making more hatchery cuts…

They are concerned about something that on most rivers, simply doesn’t exist anymore. Some rivers still have an actually wild run (even though most of those probably have stray “evil” hatchery fish genetics mixed in), but most are hatchery fish, especially through January. Most of the wild stocks don’t show up until February/March on a lot of these rivers.

That may be true of this particular commission, but not all fly anglers want hatchery fish gone.
SF

#1057999 - 10/30/21 07:31 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: stonefish]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
No I get it. I chuck and duck on occasion for steelhead. I wouldn’t make fun of something I don’t do.

This commission is set up to fail. I have to tell ya, a lot of theses folks have the “I just want to be in nature, around the trees and if I get lucky maybe have a tug on my fly rod” kind of people. I love the trees, the river and the scenery for sure…but I think most fisherman consider it a bad day when they don’t hook a fish or two.

If it doesn’t matter if you catch anything…go on a hike or something and bring a camera.

It’s the cheesiest saying but “the tug is the drug” after all.

As far as BC goes (what many consider ideal habitat). I know that ocean conditions have SUCKED. I don’t think anyone is saying that’s not the biggest factor; but we have to stop letting hatchery fish be vilified. If anything…plant 3x times more and I’ll pay more. Most of us would. Cutting back makes no sense…

You put 1000 white balls in a tub, and 10 black ones…the odds of someone grabbing a black one goes down considerably. It’s not that hard to understand, but apparently everyone from the field to the head offices at WDFW can’t understand common sense. Right now we have 100 white balls and 10 black ones…pretty easy to figure out encounter rates might go up huh?

#1058000 - 10/30/21 10:19 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

A lot of the problems in BC go back to fisheries. The ocean may be sucky, but escaping less than 100 fish to the whole Thomspon is kinda under-escaping.

If you want wild steelhead you can't have a sympatric hatchery program. One or the other. And that will require changing ESA.

#1058002 - 10/31/21 12:02 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: steely slammer
a guy told me today that the meeting on tuesday night with WDFW that there will be no winter steelhead fishing in the chehalis basin rivers..

is that true?

I listened to the whole meeting. I got the feeling that 2021-2022 steelhead season would be the same as last year.....

Maybe the BEST solution for the WILD steelhead would be to have a ESA Listing, might take it out of the WDFW hands, and the politics' of this whole thing.

I mean secret meeting, hand picked persons in attendance, This thing is bigger than what WDFW is capable of handling OR more would have been done 25+ years ago.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1058003 - 10/31/21 09:23 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Just how well has that ESA listing worked for salmon and SRKWs? Been since the 90s and how much recovery have we seen? Add in PS steelhead to mix of highly successful recovery programs...

#1058004 - 10/31/21 09:40 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
What I don’t understand is, if these decisions to close or severely curtail sport seasons on the Chehalis are based on data that is already known when the rules are published, why does WDFW even give us a glimmer of hope that we’ll get to fish, then shut everything down? It reeks of a bait and switch to me.

See: 2019, rivers are shot to hell until late January with high water, they drop into shape and sports guys start doing well, then the rivers are shut down “due to low preseason forecasts.” What the hell?

#1058005 - 10/31/21 10:32 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: Chum Man]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
dog....chase....tail....license....$$$$

#1058006 - 10/31/21 11:59 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I know I am slow on the uptake but when one has the final escapement and run size for a run you can make a reasonable estimate of the forecast for when that brood returns. Obviously, more data can fine tune it but WDFW had a clue in 2018 how many steelhead would be coming back in 2021-22, and so on for other species. But gotta sell those licenses.

#1058007 - 10/31/21 01:36 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

Most all the PS rivers with the steady, purposeful , and planned decline of any early return hatchery plants, combined w early closure dates for anglers have seen a steadying number, and in some rivers, a significant rise in Steelhead returns from late January through March and into April.

No planting, no returning equals low numbers.

In some rivers, the late returning fish are nearly as plentiful as they were in the 70s for the same months of Feb, Mar, April, and even into May

Float a few of them in the spring when you can’t fish, and you might be surprised....

#1058008 - 10/31/21 06:11 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

With all the closures and lack of catchable numbers, a whole generation of Steelheader's is disappearing and will never be recovered. Maybe that's what the WDFW wants? Once those of us that know and experienced those "good years" are gone, this current situation will become the new normal and all the bitching will cease. Reminds me of a quote.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels, accept the new levels as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions". Kennedy Warne, Nat Geo, April 2007.

Edited by RUNnGUN (10/31/21 06:12 PM)

#1058010 - 11/01/21 09:46 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Relic populations are fast becoming the new normal. I can't believe how rapidly this has occurred.

#1058012 - 11/01/21 10:21 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

“ Maybe that's what the WDFW wants? “

Of course that’s what they wanted , as there should be No need to fish as recreation !

Followed closely with hunting. This is what we all have asked for with our humble politicians leading the way by our noses...

#1058013 - 11/01/21 02:30 PM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Happy Birthday Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
It will be interesting to see what they do for the Upper Quinault and the Queets/ Salmon river. The Quinault tribe not only has a heathy net fishery on it, but they also quide non-tribal sports fisherman on these river systems, with a higher limits in some places, no restrictions on boats or lures or wild retention. Seems odd that the non-tribal land recreational fishermen get restrictions or complete closures, when they are taking a fraction (both incidental and actual) of what the tribal side does. And before someone talks about tribal hatcheries, they need to understand who funds these hatcheries (Hint, you can see the web site for the Quinault National Fish Hatchery on the US Fish and Wildlife page).

#1058054 - 11/07/21 08:58 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

On the other hand, just for argument's sake, what is the status of Quinault steelhead vs. the rest of the state? Because the Upper Quinault is in the Park, the NPS sets regs there. What, actually, does WDFW contribute to Quinault watershed management? Just wondering as I don't know but of Krijack is right is any place WDFW is involved in (or where they manage on their own such as GH) doing as well for steelhead?

#1058057 - 11/07/21 11:59 AM Re: ? of the day [Re: steely slammer]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Quinault wild steelhead are under-escaped, just like the rest of WA state wild steelhead runs, though not for completely the same reasons. Most runs are presently under-escaped because smolt to adult ocean survival rates have dropped lower than ever seen. Quinault and Queets escapements are down for that reason as well, but also because the Quinault Tribe manages hatchery and wild steelhead as though they are the same, when they are not. So the wild run is exposed to the same harvest rate as the hatchery fish, which fairly consistently over-harvests wild steelhead.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1400 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |