LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1060292 - 08/16/22 11:08 AM So where is the hatchery production policy headed?
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
How is hatchery production being tailored to all the latest headlines?

With the orcas, AK and B.C. fisheries, competition with wild fish (ie timing), are policies changing, and how? With bigger, wild fish being touted as the Orca's best dietary solution, I recalled posts about only taking eggs/milt from the largest fish to genetically hatch bigger fish, but that had some bad implications on wild fish, ecology, and some other scientific nonsense.

#1060295 - 08/16/22 11:46 AM Re: So where is the hatchery production policy headed? [Re: ned]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
I think this topic has been discussed to some length in the past on this site. A quick search could probably yield the information you might be looking for.

What seems to be one of the bigger factors is maximizing growth opportunities for chinook which will yield bigger fish. Ocean fisheries primarily and inland marine fisheries to some extent deprive chinook of growth because harvest occurs before the fish can grow to their full potential.

Of course there are more complex factors that also contribute such as evolving food resources, spawning habitat and conditions, but to me it seems this is well within our control of we would like to control the size of our fish, however the willingness to abandon Alaska/Canada/Ocean fisheries is not there.

Streamer

#1060297 - 08/16/22 11:58 AM Re: So where is the hatchery production policy headed? [Re: ned]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The large size in Chinook is tied most directly to age at maturity. If you keep killing the immature fish (blackmouth) they never reach their genetically connected age at maturity so you don't get the big fish.

It is also tied to the amount of food in the ocean and if you keep harvesting down the food chain they starve.

Quit ocean fishing until Chinook and SRKWs recover.

#1060301 - 08/16/22 08:39 PM Re: So where is the hatchery production policy headed? [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Or until you die......and that has the highest probability of occurring first.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1060303 - 08/17/22 06:47 AM Re: So where is the hatchery production policy headed? [Re: ned]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Well, yeah. My parents' generation was old enough to have (possibly) known people who actually saw the vast herds and flocks of Passenger Pigeon and Bison. Will out Grandkids be asking us "what were huge salmon runs like?" or "tell us about the Orcas in Puget Sound"

#1060304 - 08/17/22 04:14 PM Re: So where is the hatchery production policy headed? [Re: ned]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
8/17/2022

To many salmon, lets kill more.....grrrrrrr

NOAA Fisheries West Coast Region <wcr.noaafisheries@public.govdelivery.com>

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1060305 - 08/17/22 06:37 PM Re: So where is the hatchery production policy headed? [Re: ned]
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Speaking of Orcas. A few swam by Jeff Head this morning. I was hoping they were seal eating transients not chinook eating residents.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/556i9mdg1u10oj2/IMG_1789.heic?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxu3lgfn2mfq21t/IMG_1787.heic?dl=0

Edited by BossMan (08/17/22 06:41 PM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1382 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |