.... with the first salmon of 2012 landed on the F/V eyeFISH.

The stars lined up just right for this trip. Had just gotten my jack plate repaired on Friday afternoon (thanks Finn Electric!), without which the jet pump on my E-Tec was dead in the water. Weather/water on Saturday would make fishing outta my sled mission impossible, but Sunday's forecast was looking MUCH better.

Finally pulled the trigger and took the sled out to the ocean y'day to rustle up some bottomfish for the Achewter and eyeFISH clans.

Got out for the o'dark noon launch and spent a couple hours bouncin' bottom for earth-toned uglies before heading out to troll for prettier and shinier quarry.

Making the decision to venture offshore for salmon is always a bit dicey when I'm on call for the ER, but with a good bite so close to the marina, how could I NOT try? Admittedly, I did get called for a chemical eye injury while motoring out. Ho'boy! A sign of things to come?

But when the first rod went off before I could even get it into the FOLBE, we knew good things were gonna happen.

Ended a beautiful sunny afternoon in June with a treasure trove of groceries including ling cod, cabezon, black rockfish, and the season's first king salmon! Also some bonus crab courtesy of my bro Noel and family who camped at Westport for the weekend. Good eats this week!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!