I'm FB friends with some of you so you guys just ignore this.....don't wanna bore anyone!

I recently had a killer weekend of “fishing firsts” with two awesome friends, but other than a couple of grouper I was totally blanked the first two days while they battled fish after fish. My buddy Nate was on bonefish constantly and my buddy Frank scored bones and trevally on grubs and a rare monster bonefish hookup on a spoon. I felt like Charlie Brown on Halloween, walking around with a bag full of goddamn rocks while everyone else got candy.

Peacock grouper are still pretty damn cool fish though...

On day three I was desperate to shed the “skunk stench” from my body, and I finally scored my first good flyrod GT on the flats. Even cooler was watching it smash a bonefish fly tied by Nate not ten feet from me and Josiah. My Echo 8 wt and bonefish leader were pushed to the max, but we landed it after 400 yards of crazy Nantucket Sleigh Riding across the shallows.....

A couple hours later Clay positioned me well and I scored my first two Molokai bones, going two for three. My first was a solid six pounder and I was super stoked. My second one ran right at me after a couple long blistering runs and shot straight between my legs. I thought it snapped my rod top but luckily only the leader broke. My third hookup was a bruiser. I’ve never had a bonefish take out so much backing or take so long to land. These are unlike any Caribbean bonefish I’ve ever hooked. They’re steroid-fueled speed demons.

My #3 hookup for the day...

Molokai is like Kona in 1930. Very chill. No traffic lights, cool people and a sweet, slow vibe. Aloha.

Edited by Mingo (08/17/18 08:05 PM)