LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102552 - 02/20/03 12:09 PM More important: Fly rod or reel?
JumboShrimp Offline
Alevin

Loc: Renton
Hi All,
I'm new to fly fishing and I'm in the process of acquiring equipment. I don't have tons of money to spend on gear, not to mention that I probably can't appreciate the difference between a $70 and a $700 rod, yet.

So with that in mind, I'm looking for suggestions on first time gear. I can afford to spend a little bit more on either the rod or reel, but all the fishing mags and internet discussion boards I've read thus far conflict when it comes to which is more important. (I know they're both important) My budget is in the $300 range.

I will be fishing for mainly lake trout and panfish. But after reading the Westport Jetties thread, saltwater "black bomber" fishing looks interesting as well.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
(I will also be headed to Meydenbauer Center for the fly fishing show as well.)

#102553 - 02/20/03 12:45 PM Re: More important: Fly rod or reel?
JJ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: redmond, WA
There are many good less expensive rods and reels out there. Notice i didn't say low end because of the less expensive gear I happen to like better. St Croix rods come to mind right off the bat. I think these rods are great and for the most part. And the imperial series is around $150.

If you are going to be fishing for trout and panfish in lakes a 5 wt will do you good. I think that the reel is less important in this type of fishing as it holds line more then anything, my opinion of course. You might need a floating line and a sinking line if you are going to fish lakes. My trout reel is a Diawa and I have had it for 10 years and love it. Solid reel and I can rim control the drag if necessary.

JJ

#102554 - 02/20/03 01:02 PM Re: More important: Fly rod or reel?
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
When you are fishing a 5wt, you will probably be playing all of your fish just by stripping the line with your hand. This would make the rod more important, but if you do hook a bigger fish a cheap reel can really hurt you.
Personally when I fish for trout I use the reel exclusively as a line holder and play all the fish by hand. It sounds like you are going to be targeting smaller fish so I would say that a cheap reel is ok for your situation.

If you ger into salmon and steelhead, or even larger trout, get a good reel over a good rod. Having a reliable drag is the most important thing when fighting a big fish.

#102555 - 02/20/03 01:55 PM Re: More important: Fly rod or reel?
JumboShrimp Offline
Alevin

Thanks JJ & D3,
I'm going to look a for a decent 5wt rod and less expensive reel.

I'm sure as I get more into the sport, I will accumulate my equipment.

thx!
Dan

#102556 - 02/20/03 03:19 PM Re: More important: Fly rod or reel?
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
Dan- Something you may want to look at is the Discovery Series by sage. The DS2 is a really good rod and you save money if you buy the kit. I am not sure how much it is but a 2 piece 5wt wouldn't be too expensive I dont think.
Also with Sage you get a lifetime warranty and the'll ask no questions. 100% garunteed. It is a sweet deal. You can do anything to the rod and get it replaced if you break it.

#102557 - 02/22/03 01:33 PM Re: More important: Fly rod or reel?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

JS,

For the fishing you describe, I agree with other recommendations that the rod is most important. Your reel is just a line holder, but real junk is just that. Something along the line of a Cortland Crown or Berkley 556 will serve the purpose well. A good 5 or 6 wt. rod at a reasonable price is offered by Lamiglass for around $125, I think. They aren't heavily advertised, but they are a good value for the price.

If you decide to chase rockfish on the jetty, you'll need a completely different outfit in an 8 wt. or so.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#102558 - 02/23/03 10:13 AM Re: More important: Fly rod or reel?
Loco_Dingo Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise
Take a close look at the kits. Sage, Cortland, SA all have kits out there that are good. I just bought both my boys a 4pc 9' 5wt cortland kits for $100 each that are decent. All the brands above have the starter kits around that price. Use the extra money for casting lessons.

#102559 - 02/24/03 02:16 PM Re: More important: Fly rod or reel?
JumboShrimp Offline
Alevin

Yup, I'm taking a look at the fly rod/reel combos from Sage, Cortland and Redington.

I also ran across something from WW Grigg. Anyone ever hear of these guys? The rods are cheap but seem to have good reviews.

I took fly casting lessons last Sunday then went to the Fly Fishing Show in Bellevue. Great one, two punch since I was able to get actual practice on the water with a Sage DS2 5 weight 9' rod and a Ross Gunnison reel.

At the show, there was a lady that was giving basic instruction on casting and she was great! Well worth the price of admission for me.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
6 registered (Excitable Bob, SpoonFed, Carcassman, 20 Gage, snit, steely slammer), 1275 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |