Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103218 - 04/14/04 11:58 AM Cowlitz
Fly_Guy Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
I am trying to liven up this board... How are things, anyone catching anything big lately???

I am planning on floating the Cowlitz either this weekend or next, does anyone know where I can take out a potnoon boat if I launch at Blue Creek.
If anyone wants to do a float, it would be a great time, big native steelhead are around and the fresh springers are showing up. Having someone to float with would be fun... I also dont want to have to ride my bike back to my truck with two rods on my back.

Thanks guys
Andy

#103219 - 04/20/04 12:36 AM Re: Cowlitz
Jeff D Offline
Spawner

Loc: S. Whidbey
Fly Guy,
Sounds fun, and wish I could join ya, but not quite equipped yet. Maybe next year. I live on Whidbey and work in everett.

#103220 - 04/21/04 06:47 PM Re: Cowlitz
Fly_Guy Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
Didnt make it to the Cow, but I did float the Skagit/Sauk.... one 6 inch dollie caught on a 7 inch leech...... I'll hit the Cow in May after the Skag/sauk closes.
I live in Everett, but am moving down to Kent in about 3 weeks or so. If you want to wet a line down at the beach or at one of the fine local lakes after work one day, let me know

anperrault@probusiness.com (until may 14)

#103221 - 04/21/04 07:40 PM Re: Cowlitz
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Fly Guy,

I live near Olympia and plan to fish the Cowlitz a bit this spring and early summer. I use a jet boat, tho, because of the very problem you mention regarding the shuttle. However, last trip there I saw a sign at Mission Bar launch offering shuttle service. Next time down I'll try to remember to write it down and post it.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#103222 - 04/22/04 02:37 AM Re: Cowlitz
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
I'd like to do the Cowlitz this summer with my pontoon boat. We'll have to look for each other on the board then.

#103223 - 04/22/04 07:56 PM Re: Cowlitz
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
General 'Cow-Question.' Moved from Washing State in 1984 so it's been a lot of years since I've fished the Blue Creek area. Then, to access it was a TRIP to say the least.

Park car and at least a half mile walk; possibly more. Sounds like 'parking-access' is now a whole lot easier ... and closer to the beach.

#103224 - 04/22/04 08:45 PM Re: Cowlitz
River Nutrients

Fred,

No, the parking lot is still in the same place, and it's a walk to the mouth of Blue Creek fishing area. I've walked in there once when there wasn't much going on, just to see it. It's not very good looking holding water at all. But since the rearing pond outlet creek runs into it, fish stack up there anyway, making it a premier blood hole.

I never fish there.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#103225 - 04/24/04 06:32 AM Re: Cowlitz
BrotherChin Offline
Smolt

Loc: Rivers of Babylon
I've been wondering how well pontoons do in this river. I love fishing from mine and have had success. The biggest river being the Hoh above Oxbow and the Queets. One reason I got one was to never have to go to a place like Blue Creek. I've been thinking about it this spring but with all the other traffic I just don't know. Also how well do they hold in that current when the water is fairly deep. My 20 lb does fine on the Queets, I also had to cut one off in the Hoh Canyon. Also landing a fish when the bank is a hundred feet away is tricky. Just curious, I try to avoid this river but would like some info.

#103226 - 04/25/04 03:20 PM Re: Cowlitz
River Nutrients

BC,

I've seen a few 'toons on the Cowlitz, and I would think you could fish it just fine. I wouldn't expect problems associated with anchoring to be any different than in most rivers. Any time you drop the hook in fast water, you're taking a risk that you may not get it back.

As for navigation, no problem. I've floated the Cowlitz in my canoe and small raft - smaller than most pontoon craft - but I usually take my sled so I don't have to deal with a vehicle shuttle.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#103227 - 04/28/04 11:49 AM Re: Cowlitz
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
There are two shuttle services on the Cow, both of which I can recommend. One is from the Barrier Dam Campground folk. They'll shuttle you to either Blue Creek (for the Barrier to Blue Creek float) or down to Mission.

THe other is a very nice lady who will either shuttle you in the morning or pick you and your pontoon boat (if small) up in the afternoon and take you back to your car!

I've used her the last two trips before I bought my jet - she's a great lady and the price is right @ $10. I'll look for her card when I get home and post the #. You can also call Barrier Dam Campground - they were busy one day and referred me to her.

Happy floating!

Brian

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., stonefish), 811 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |