LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103228 - 04/16/04 01:54 PM North Fork Stilly, When?
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Going to try fly fishing again, after 40 years away from it. Built a couple of rods this Winter, accumulated gear based on your suggestions here and tied up a bunch of nymphs and wollyworms. Am close to the North fork of the Stilly, need some idea of when I should expect the 1st of the summer run to begin showing up.

#103229 - 04/16/04 02:22 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Fly_Guy Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
I fished it EVERY SINGLE DAY last summer, and didnt hook my first steelhead until Late July. All natives, I never even saw a hatchery fish all summer, although I dont hang out at Fortson too much.
I hooked several BIG dollies/bulls during June and July, but no steel until later. I have heard that traditionally, the Deer Creek Natives start showing up around the end of June, but not last year. Once I started hooking fish though, I caught something every day from then on out. Mostly pinks and cutts.... only 3 steelies hooked all summer, all in one week, although I was mainly targeting the pinks and cutts when I didnt actually see any steelhead

#103230 - 04/17/04 11:31 AM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Why were you fishing for a fish that isn't legal to catch on the N/F. In fact all salmon on the N/F are off limits.

Jim

#103231 - 04/20/04 06:35 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Fly_Guy Offline
Fry

I just double checked the regs, because I know I was fishing legally this summer, to the best of my knowledge, I always check the regs.

it says Mar1-Nov 30: Fly-fishing only, catch and release except up to 2 hathcery steelhead.
Trout: min size 14" Daily limit 2
Other game fish: statewide min size/limit

I dont see anything about salmon. I did talk to a warden in June who said I couldnt target the school of Kings that was underneath the C-Post bridge, and I didnt.
Considering I only hooked about 5 pinks and landed (and released) 2 all summer up there, it should be a non-issue considering the poachers I ran into regularly up there taking chinooks, pinks and native steelies with treble hooks and big gaffs.

#103232 - 04/22/04 09:01 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

OTS,

I've caught summer runs on the NF Stilly as early as Memorial Day weekend, but not often. The last week in June has usually had fishable numbers down below Oso. And 4th of July has been pretty consistent on the upper NF. It's nice to get as much fishing in as early as possible because the Stilly can get so dreadfully low, making for lots of dour steelhead. They can still be caught of course, but with far less excitement than when water conditions are prime.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#103233 - 04/23/04 09:11 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Fly_guy. Last year they had restrictions on the river about using weighted flies or any kind of weight because of all the salmon poaching going on. If it were open for salmon it would of so stated and salmon are not game fish. Went through that once before someplace else..

Jim

#103234 - 04/26/04 12:11 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Fly_Guy,
According to the regulations, "ALL FRESHWATER AREAS are CLOSED to fishing for SALMON, Dolly Varden/bull trout and GRASS CARP unless listed as open in Special Rules"(p. 20).

The North and South Forks of the Stillaguamish are closed to fishing for salmon at all times. The main river, below the confluence of the North and South Forks, is (or was last year) open to fishing for salmon from Septmber 1st to December 31st

#103235 - 04/26/04 02:42 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Fly_Guy Offline
Fry

well now I know.....

And I never used a weighted fly or sinktip all summer. Strictly dry lines/flies.....

I guess I wont skate them across big pools on the Stilly any more, but boy was that fun. The first humpy I hooked was an accident. I had a small knot in my fly line by the reel, I was trying to get it out and my caddis fly was skating all over the place out there and whammo!!!! I soon lost it, I had no idea that a humpy would take a dry fly until I did that and then did it again the next day.

#103236 - 04/26/04 05:22 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

One more thing You can't go by the regs as there is a emergency closure on the river and it doesn't open up until the 1st of June. All this info in on the WDFW web site. Should be a link around here some place.

Jim

#103237 - 04/27/04 09:26 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Thank you Salmo g. That's what I was looking for.

#103238 - 04/27/04 09:29 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Just checked this on the WDFW site:

There are no emergency fishing rules currently in effect for Stillaguamish River (includes all forks) (Snohomish County). Please refer to the current Fishing in Washington Sport Fishing Rules Pamphlet.

#103239 - 04/28/04 02:41 AM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
It's stupid the way they post it on their website, but the Stilly IS closed.
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=132
"Action: The North Fork Stillaguamish River will close to all fishing March 1, 2004. The closure includes the March through May catch-and-release season."
It was announced in February.

#103240 - 04/28/04 10:47 AM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

You're right! You have to be a site guru to make sure you are getting the right info.

#103241 - 04/30/04 02:52 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
I contacted WDFW about the error and finally got a reply back today. They changed it so that when looking up individual rivers online, it lists the North Fork under an emergency closure.

#103242 - 12/23/05 12:03 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
KlausRMinnow Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everwet WA
Guys,

The way the NF Regs read they can easily be interpreted as Salmon being Catch and Release:

All Game Fish May 1-Nov. 30 Catch-and-release except up to 2 hatchery STEELHEAD may be
retained.

FYI there is a great run of chrome bright Sockeye that hang in the same water as the Steelies and take the exact same small purple patterns. If you ever hook up on a chrome Sockeye you will see why I prefer to interpret this as a C&R exception.

#103243 - 12/23/05 12:24 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Salmon are not a game fish. They are food fish. See page 31 in the regs.

Jim

#103244 - 12/23/05 02:57 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
KlausRMinnow Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everwet WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Man:
Salmon are not a game fish. They are food fish. See page 31 in the regs.

Jim
I always forget about that that and I stand corrected. (not calling a Salmon a gamefish just don't seem right does it?)

While I don't think you would be able to convince a judge that your articulated 4/0 Bunny Bug in Chartreuse was being used for Steelhead, I would argue that the line between "untargeted fish" and "C&R fish" is blurred when I hook and release the fish in question (eg; Silvers, Humpies, and Sockeye) using the "exact" same flies, "exact" same techniques, and in "exactly" the same holding water as Steelhead (and C&R species such as Dollies and Cutthroat).

#103245 - 12/23/05 04:39 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Quote:
Originally posted by KlausRMinnow:
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Man:
[b] Salmon are not a game fish. They are food fish. See page 31 in the regs.

Jim
I always forget about that that and I stand corrected. (not calling a Salmon a gamefish just don't seem right does it?)

[/b]
Hey now

Don't be going and telling the Old Man he's right; his head will swell (LOL laugh )

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#103246 - 12/24/05 11:23 AM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

If you were fishing durning the Fly only season and were using a 4/0 fly. You probably would still be breaking the law. The hook gap in fly only water cannot excede 1/2 an inch. I believe that a 4/0 is bigger than that.

And yes Homer,I'm always right when it pertains to these stupid regulations.

Jim

#103247 - 12/24/05 01:12 PM Re: North Fork Stilly, When?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
I know your pretty good when it comes to that

Just busting your chops smile

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |