Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#626883 - 10/09/10 10:15 PM Question about switching lines
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
I want to come up with a simple method of switching lines out on my 8 weight since I have only one spool.
Should I cut off and re tie the fly line to the backing each time (blood knot or Albright) or is it kosher to cut the backing and tie the backing to a short length of backing still on the fly line with a blood knot or other knot?
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Doctor Rick (10/09/10 10:16 PM)

#626895 - 10/09/10 10:47 PM Re: Question about switching lines [Re: Doctor Rick]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
I leave a tag of backing, about 6", with a loop, on the end of my fly line, then make a loop on the remaining backing on the spool. InNterchange lines via loop to loop.

May not be the right way, but it's worked well for me...

#626901 - 10/09/10 11:17 PM Re: Question about switching lines [Re: Twitch]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

So does this mean you feed the entire length of fly line through the loop when you switch?

#627139 - 10/10/10 10:07 PM Re: Question about switching lines [Re: Doctor Rick]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

If you have the loop big enough, you can just pass the spool through it.

I use a big loop on my backing, and create a small loop on the end of my fly line. Although, I think Twitches idea might be a little safer if you get a big fish into your backing.

Some of the newer fly lines I notice have a loop welded on both ends.

#627351 - 10/11/10 09:43 PM Re: Question about switching lines [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

DR,

I hope you're not trying to switch lines on your reel during a single day's fishing. That's inefficient, no matter the method. Better to make the single line a multi-purpose one. Cut a floater at 15' and add loops to both cut ends. Then make or buy sink tips in 2 or 3 sink rates and change out as needed.

For seasonal or other line changes, I whip finish a loop on the reel end of my flylines and fasten them to the backing with a clinch knot. I make the loop out of the fly line core by removing a couple inches of the plastic finish with acetone. I coat the whip finish with Pliobond to protect it from abrasion. This has worked well for 30 years or so.

Sg

#627397 - 10/12/10 02:05 AM Re: Question about switching lines [Re: Salmo g.]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Thanks, Sg.
I'm mostly switching between trips so far, but so far have been cutting backing and re tying and that's wasteful and inefficient so I'm fishing for better ways. I want to re read and think about your post, cannot quite visualize it this late at night and on the road.
I also want to have a preloaded spool to switch out, but having a simple and effective line switch method, or even 2 , is good.

PS I hit the Rogue on Thurs with 11 others, 6 boats total, for 1/2 pounders and maybe some left over summer steel.

Take care,

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |