Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#633443 - 11/06/10 11:05 PM Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
But Santa wants to know which vise I want. I have a cheapo Indian made black and brass but Santa (Mrs Doctor Rick) wants to know which one I want.

Any ideas for the best buy rotary vise and where to buy it?

Thanks, and...

#633450 - 11/06/10 11:26 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Doctor Rick]
Strike Rite Offline
Smolt

Loc: OP
Renzetti's traveler or presentation are both high-quality true rotary vice's. Check their website for a dealer near you.

#633464 - 11/06/10 11:59 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Strike Rite]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Cabela's shows Renzetti, Griffin, Peak, Mongoose, HMH, Dyna-King, Regal etc in their catalog.
Pretty much all the main players.
I would cruise over to Cabela's and have a look.

Edited by Direct-Drive (11/06/10 11:59 PM)

#633472 - 11/07/10 12:32 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Direct-Drive]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Nor-Vise.

Its not your conventional fly tying vise, but, it's truely rotary.

#633475 - 11/07/10 01:04 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: SRoffe]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I've been using a Regal for the past 20 years or so.
Lots of good options out there.

Saw this on another board. No worries about hook slippage.
If you are bored and haven't used your welder in awhile, everything Mrs Doctor Rick would need is at Lowes or Home Depot. wink

Attachments
PICT0008.JPG

#633476 - 11/07/10 01:32 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: stonefish]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Brilliant! Finally, the vise I have been looking for. No need to be delicate with that bad boy. Kevlar thread has finally met it's match.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#633490 - 11/07/10 08:54 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: ColeyG]
Fog Ducker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

A deal you can't refuse!!!!
Let Santa know Ducker has a Thompson A that he will swap for any Renzetti she picks up.
I'll send Pauly, Pauly and Dominic by to pick it up.

Ducker!

#633504 - 11/07/10 10:53 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Fog Ducker]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Stonefish
That is a classic!!

Reminds me of my first "vise" - a pair of needle nose pliers (borrowed from my Dad) held in place on the table by a bucket of sand and the tension provided by rubber bands wrapped around the "needles". Only 9 at the time.

Doc. Rick
In the 55 years since then I have upgraded several times (wearing out 3 vises in the process); my current vise is a Renzetti traveler which I like a lot.

Tight lines
Curt

#633509 - 11/07/10 11:14 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Smalma]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Finally something that can hold a 50/0 hook for my Extra Large Chironmids.

#633566 - 11/07/10 02:36 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: SRoffe]
jam session Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Goodwin
I've got a Renzetti also and would recommend Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park as a local shop you can send "Santa" to.

#633590 - 11/07/10 04:33 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: jam session]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
renzetti- best easy to use rotory vise
come down to the gig harbor fly shop, got a full selection, and if you get lucky enough to show up on a day I work it really might be worth your trip

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#633691 - 11/07/10 11:02 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: OPfisher]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Stoney, That looks about like what I have, anyway, I won't be tying any 30-06 Clousers anytime soon.

Ducker, What can I say? You'll prolly want to borrow it anyway!

OPfisher, didn't we meet at the WSC dinner?
PM me with suggestions for Santa.

#633776 - 11/08/10 11:55 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Doctor Rick]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

If rotary is a requirement: Renzetti.
If you want an all-around solid performer: Regal.

I have a Dyna King Barracuda Jr. It's a very slick-looking, full rotary vise on a pedestal. What sold me on it was the "universal" jaw, which is advertised to hold a wide range of hook sizes without slippage. It works great for hooks size 12 and larger, but I have yet to figure out how to get it to grasp smaller hooks and hold them under any amount of pressure. I don't tie many flies in smaller sizes (I usually buy the small stuff - those kids in Malaysia tie MUCH better small stuff than I ever could), so most of the time this vise works great for me, but there have been occasions where I have had to resign myself to tying smaller stuff, and in those cases, it has frustrated me more than a little. I learned through a little research that there was a midge jaw available. Thinking that might solve the problem, I bought one, but it has been even less successful at holding small hooks.

I have decided, after carefully observing the movement of the jaws as I lock them down, that the cam lock that holds the jaw setting is to blame. When the cam lock is fully engaged, the jaws actually back off ever so slightly. For whatever reason, this doesn't cause any problems with hooks large enough to fit in one of the two hook bend holds in the jaw, but with hooks that are too small to fit in the grooves, the backoff compromises the hold.

Long story short is that while my vise is great for 98% of the flies I tie, it is nearly non-functional for the other 2%. When the only flies that will catch fish in a given situation (spring creeks come to mind) fall into that 2%, the issue becomes nothing short of maddening. For this reason, as great as it is for larger flies, I would not recommend a Dyna King to anyone who plans to tie small flies with any regularity. From what I remember, Renzettis have a different locking mechanism, and I suspect it would work better for the small stuff.

With hindsight, while I like the speed afforded by a rotary vise, I think the best all-around performer would probably be a Regal. They have changed their design relatively little over the years, presumably because it flat out works. Most of the best tyers I know (I certainly don't fall into that category) use a Regal, if that is any indication. Besides all this, a Regal is about $200 cheaper than a high-end rotary model.

Merry Christmas.

#633830 - 11/08/10 02:53 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Regal does have a full-rotary vise called the Revolution. Pricey, but it retains all of the desireable Regal features.

Edited by Preston Singletary (11/08/10 02:53 PM)

#633911 - 11/08/10 08:47 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Preston Singletary]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Thanks, Gents,

I'm seeing the Renzetti Traveler for $189 at several sites.
The Regal is about $100 more.

I'm mostly tying steelhead, salmon and trout/bass size stuff. So far no #28, but mostly 10, 8, 6, 4, 1, 2, 1/0

Just bought some stuff for Bead Head nymphs, prince, mega prince and copper Johns.

I think the action of a rotary will help me flip the fly and tie the lower end the right way.

#633933 - 11/08/10 09:39 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: SRoffe]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: Sam Roffe
Finally something that can hold a 50/0 hook for c/22's Extra Large Chironmids.

Fixed it for ya........... cool

BTW its only a 18/0 shark hook, still looking for a stout rig to cast it with.

c/22

#634053 - 11/09/10 01:00 PM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: chrome/22]
geljockey Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
A while back I saw the new Regal rotary vise at my local fly shop. The owner wasn't too impressed with it in regard to the rotary function.

#635412 - 11/15/10 02:03 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: geljockey]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

I hear through the backchannel that the good wife and 2 nearly grown kids pulled the trigger on a Renzetti Traveler for "good old dad" for Christmas, but I don't know that and won't see it until Dec.25. I'm good with that!

Thanks for all the good discussion.

#636957 - 11/22/10 12:01 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Doctor Rick]
Fog Ducker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

You got all the cool stuff!

Ducker!

#638559 - 11/29/10 12:01 AM Re: Doctor Rick thinks Santa will bring him a new vise [Re: Fog Ducker]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

The vise is great!! Now, I just get to use it and then wrap it up just in time to open it up on Christmas and be happy again, which it will be againi!!
Life is Good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Carcassman), 1459 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |